My Boy Hood

The News

It was Friday, and I was getting ready to leave for basketball when I asked Summer, “Do you think I can see you this weekend?”

She thought for a moment, and nodded. We quickly set the date to be Sunday in the afternoon. At that, I ran out of the building to make it to my basketball practice. Practice seemed to fly by as usual, and when it was done, everyone gathered in the locker room. “What’s the matter? Not in a hurry today?” I heard Blake ask.

I was usually the first out, and this week, the last in. I sighed, right now, I wasn’t thinking about my piano practice with Summer, but the request my mother made. I told Dad about it, and he agreed to come along also. He didn’t like the idea of somebody knowing my secret at school, but what choice did he have?

I decided to ask one of my friends, but out of the five, I wasn’t completely sure who to choose. Sake would be the first I’d cross out, since he’s the most lady’s man there was, and I’d just feel awkward if he knew. I wasn’t sure Jason could actually make time for my petty needs since he has to watch over his sister. Blake was totally convinced I was a guy, and I didn’t want him to think otherwise.

That left me with Jeremy and Sam. I was tempted to ask Jeremy, but when I looked at him now, he seemed stressed about something. I then looked at Sam, who was digging in his locker. I walked over to his door, “Hey, Sam?”

He stopped digging long enough to see it was me, “Yeah?”

“You got anything planned for tomorrow?”

“No, why?”

I was thankful he was free, so I continued, “Well, I was wondering if you could stop over tomorrow afternoon.”

“What about the others?” He asked.

I bit my lip, “No, it’ll just be you,” I leaned in some, “Can you do me a favor and not tell them you’re coming over. It’s really important.”

“Uh, yeah, sure. I’ll see you tomorrow then.” He said.

I grabbed my bag, and headed out the door. “Hey, Nick!” Blake yelled after me.

“Yeah?”

“Penny invited me over to Summer’s house on Sunday. Are you going to be there?” He asked.

Why would he want to know? For a second I wondered if he knew about me and Summer practicing. I didn’t care really, “Sure. I’ll see you then?”

“Hell yeah!”

This was going to be one long weekend for me.

It was final Saturday, and the cargo came in before Sam did. Mom wasn’t joking about what she said. She had a box full of things, from clothes to make-up, and even a wig! I stared at it in horror, the hair was real, that was for sure, but that didn’t change the fact that I wanted to wear it.

I threw it back in the box when I heard the front door bell ring. I went downstairs to greet my guest, taking a long breath before opening the door. It was Sam. I let him in and he followed me to the kitchen, where Dad was drinking a cup of coffee. “Yo, Dad.”

“Hey, Nicky-“ He cut himself off after seeing Sam, “Sam? Oh! Is he your date tonight?”

“What?” Sam asked.

“Dad, don’t say things that’ll create a misunderstanding.”

“So you haven’t told him yet?”

“Told me what?” Sam asked, confused.

I sat down at the table. He took a seat also, and that was when I got a little serious. “Tell me, Sam, what do you know about Ronda Johnson.”

Sam eyes widen at my sudden topic. This was the first time I ever brought up her name to him, but he answered anyway. “She’s part of the community council for the mayor. She recently gotten into a real estate business and making a load from it.”

“So you got her status,” I said, “Tell me more.”

“Well, she divorced her ex-husband some odd years ago, oh, and she has a daughter. If I remember correctly, her last name was the same as yours.”

He was right on the money, but I was surprised he knew as much as he did. I stared at him in his eyes, and I could hear Dad muttering in the background to just tell him already. I wanted to, but I wanted to see how clever he really was, “Do you remember the name of her daughter?”

He stared back, his eyes searching mine, “Nickole Johnson, I believe.”

I shook my head, but Sam seemed to correct himself, “No, that’s not right, her name would be Nickole Clayton.”

He stared at me with shock, “So similar!”

“Do you really think it’s a coincidence?” I asked him.

“There’s no way…” He said, “You’re the daughter?”

He could see right then and there, exactly what I was trying to point out. His reaction was nice, expected of him. He took the news calmly, he was just shocked he hasn’t realized it before.

Now that this part was covered, I needed to tell him that he was my date to a big old ball!
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Nicky... but now Sam's in the secret too! Oh joy... I wonder how these two will be after everything is said and done.

Sorry the update took so long, I'm a little behind on typing.