My Boy Hood

Change

When Dad told me the news, that was when I screamed at him, “Are you serious?”

“What of it?” He said, then sighed, “Look, you’re enough of a tomboy as it is. You’ll blend in easily. Just a small haircut and deepening your voice, you’ll pass as a boy just fine.”
I clenched my jaw at him, biting off a retort. He saw the daggers pointing at him, “It’s either this or you’re going back to your mother.”

That was when I gave in, I didn’t like my mother one bit, but I’d rather go through this hell than hers. I stomped off to bed, and my anger seemed to lay off after midnight. I got a random call from somebody, but I didn’t have time to check because it ranged once and hung up. I was too tired to care, I fell asleep.

The next day was a Sunday, and after finding out the news from Dad, I had to call Lala and tell her. “Meet me at the mall, we need to talk.” was her response.

One of the things about the mall, it was about a fifteen minute walk, and it only took Lala five to get there. I grabbed my skateboard, deciding to get there faster than usual. Once I got there, Lala was already coming toward me, “What the hell is your dad thinking?”

“Apparently it’s possible a girl can play with a bunch of rowdy guys in basketball.”

Lala groaned, “Is your dad crazy? He can’t do this to you!”

I shrugged, there was no use to argue it. Dad’s mind was made up, his dreams were to come true. I had to be a guy, and act like the opposite person I was. That made me think, maybe I didn’t have to change who I was. I can love breakdancing, still listen to the same music that I did, the only thing I needed to add was the effort to be the best basketball player there was. This could be a new life for me, a spark to do what I want. If dad can threaten me with my mother, I can threaten him with his dignity.

I grabbed Lala’s arm, “Come on, and let’s go shopping. I have a big day tomorrow.”

I had to wear a uniform at the school while it’s in session. It was a boy’s uniform, and luckily, I could walk back and forth to school each day. I knew there will be new friends there, and I figured clothes could make an impression.

Lala got sort of excited, and gave in to helping me look for clothing. The woman at the counter sort of just gave us a weird look, but I didn’t care. When we got done, Lala decided it was time for a haircut, and she led me to go get one. She wanted me to get a skater look, but asked the woman for the best advice.

“You want to look like a male?” She asked.

“It’s a long story.” I said.

She started to think while looking at my head. “Let’s see what I can do.”

She started snipping, and I watched the huge locks of hair fall to the floor. Lala was covering her mouth as she watched. It didn’t take long, but when the woman swung my chair around so I was facing the mirror, I stared at my new look. It was totally boyish, like the hairstyles the boy bands usually have, yet it made my face frame to match that of a male look.
Lala dragged me out of the chair, “Awesome! Now let’s get you changed.”

I paid the lady and we were flying through the mall to find an empty bathroom. When we found one, she pushed me in and guarded the door outside. I had quite the different outfits so I decided on the color red for today. When I was done changing into my clothes, I walked outside. Lala grinned as she watched me do an exaggerated spin. “How do I look?”

“Oh, honey, this is going to be great. I don’t care if your dad is making you act like a dude, you fit the part perfectly.”

We grabbed the bags, deciding to call it a day. We walked along the mall, until Lala made us stop by a piercing store. “Oh, no, Lala-“

She grabbed my arm and dragged me inside. She threw me in a chair, and walked over to a glass case to choose an earring. She took her time, and when she finally got done, she came over with a packet in the air. “This is from me to you; just a quick reminder that you’re my friend.”

I raised an eye and the man came over, “You ready, son?”

I wanted to correct him that I was actually a girl, but Lala stepped in, “One piercing for the right ear please.”

Did it matter which? I didn’t to me, the man brought the gun to my ear, and I heard a snap as the needle punctured through my ear. It didn’t hurt, but it didn’t feel good either. The earring that she chose was a diamond stud, something popular among guys. I smiled, and the guy put them in. “There you go, all set.”

“Thanks.” We said, paid, and left.

We went to my house, and Dad met us there. He showed us the school uniform, which wasn’t half bad, and said I’d be starting there tomorrow morning. It was a pair of slacks, a vest, and a tie. Dad said he bought the shoes, socks, and shirts I needed, so I had to wear the uniform for tomorrow. I said okay, and Lala and I departed upstairs.

He never said a word about my hair.

Lala stayed for a bit, until it got to the time she had to go home. I was left alone, so I showered and went to bed early. I was slightly nervous, because tomorrow was going to be a huge day for me. With all the sarcasm my brain can think, I thought, “I couldn’t wait.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Nicky starts school tomorrow! She's a sophomore by the way.

How do you think it will go? Will she make any new friends?

Subscribe and find out in the next chapter!