My Boy Hood

The Quiter and Silencer

Lala and I didn’t go up until the second half, which wasn’t too bad. We sat with our friends. There was a stage, but no seats, so we had to find a place on the ground to sit. “Good thing it hasn’t rained in a while.” Penny muttered at one point.

It wasn’t exactly dark yet, but after the first six contestants, it was dusk. It got to the point where we were trying to keep ourselves comfortable. These people weren’t bad, but some had the ability to make a fool of them. I thought of the dream I had last night, now that was random. When the break came for the judges, it was everyone’s excuse to go get snacks or a restroom break.

I went to take the long walk to use the public restrooms. It would take me about twenty minutes just to make the trip. All the porter potties were full and I had to go! I hurried the walk, knowing I’ll be pulling it close with the time until we go up, but at the moment I didn’t care.

I went into the men’s room, something I was way use to doing. They had a stall so I went to use it. After that deal, I booked it back. I found Lala next in line, “Finally!” she exclaimed, relieved, “We’re next.”

“Let’s do our best.” I said, fist bumping her.

Lala handed the card to a guy and he ran off to the judges. The announcement came on again, “Next is contestants 27, with Sarah and Nicholas playing a piano cover for Chris Brown’s song All Back.”

We climbed the steps and there was a piano on stage already from preparation. I held back a sigh as the crowd clapped and I could hear Blake’s annoying whoops from way up here. I sat down at the piano, the song started whenever I started, and I waited until the crowd was quiet. From there I started.

Most people did the second halves of songs, but Lala felt much more compassion toward the first part. That was where I started, and I realized then how powerful Lala’s voice was. She was good, and the piano only brought out the melody she created. It was a great match, and the two weeks practice that I had was all there. In my opinion, it was perfect, and I hoped the judges thought so too.

The song was over before I knew it, and both Lala and I waved as the crowd screamed. We walked off the stage when Lala said, “That was awesome. It was like a true concert.”

I laughed, in a good mood, and we found ourselves back to our friends. Summer was there with her phone in my face, That was great! Better than what you did at practice all-together! Blake had his arms over my shoulder, “There’s something badass about a guy able to play the piano.”

“Good job.” Jason said, to both Lala and i.

“Lala, you’re a terrific singer.” Sam said, “It went well with Nick’s piano skills.”

He winked at me and ruffled both of our hairs. After a while, we sat back down to watch of the rest of the competition. They were fun to watch now, until they announced the last group. “Lastly, contestants 50, with a dance crew named The Crew dancing to T-Pain and Chris Brown’s song Best Love Song.”

Lala started bumping my arm, “No way!”

It was either fate or I was dreaming. Not only was my old dance crew going up (and I overlooked the fact that they were doing a Chris Brown song too), but they were actually here! I was on my knees, practically standing. Why didn’t I notice them in the park before? I looked at each of the members from how far back I was. There were new members from what I could tell, “Where’s Harold?” I heard myself ask.

Lala tugged my shirt, “Who’s that?”

I glanced at her, “He was the leader before I left.”

It was way past dark now, and the group had their own show set up. It was like they saved the best for last. Bright colored lights shined as they danced. I watched their movements closely, and I could tell they were good, though they weren’t in sync like they use to be. I still couldn’t find Harold. When the competition was over, I snagged Jason’s hat he won from an earlier game and jogged toward the group.

A girl name Beth I knew was there and I grabbed her arm. “Do I know you?” She asked.

“There was a guy and girl that use to be in this group, Nickole and Harold? What happened to them?”

I added my name just to play it safe. “Oh, well Nickole ditched us a few months ago. Harold quit soon afterwards to go back to college. He ended up passing leadership to Kevin, ah, but whatever. A bunch stopped the group when those two quit. They were our best members.” She snorted some, “A few believed they eloped, but that was just rumors-“

I was done, “Okay, thanks.”

I walked away. Beth was still a talker that was for sure. I found the guys again and gave the hat back to Jay. “Why’d you go to them?”

Lala looked at him, “You don’t know? She used to be in their crew!”

“Seriously!” Blake exclaimed, “That’s so cool! Oh, but I saw you dance, so I should’ve expected it.”

“You dance?” Sam asked.

“Hell yeah he does, I got a recording on my phone.” Penny said.

Everyone found a table and spent the next half hour watching the videos. After that was up, and I should’ve expected it, but Blake and Lala tried to get me to dance in the grass, “No!”

My mind clicked then, “I promised Summer a quick date after the concert.”

The date part wasn’t true, but still, I remembered then that she had to tell me something. I grabbed her shoulders and started guiding her away from the group. We were walking in the empty paths in the park on the opposite side of the fair grounds.

“So you had something to tell me?” I asked.

She nodded and held up her phone, You ready?

“Sure.”

“I can actually talk.”

I froze in my tracks from the voice. It was a very shy, quiet voice. She turned around and stood in front of me. Was that her? “You… can talk?”

She looked up at me and nodded. Do you honestly know the reasons behind Summer’s quietness? Tooshay’s words ringed in my head. I grabbed her shoulders, trying to take the news, and brought her over to sit at a bench, “Okay, explain.”

As if that was her cue, she explained.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it took so long to update... i just came out of surgery two days ago and had to stay overnight at the hospital because they did a bone graph from my hip (hurtsssss).

thanks to those who are quite patient!