My Boy Hood

The Sweet Melody of her Voice

“I was four when I first learned of a piano, I fell in love with it. I begged and begged my mom to let me have one, but she agreed that I could have one if I took lessons first. I did, and I enjoyed everything I learned. Mom saw how excited I was with it, and sent me to a school that specialized in music. From there, I had multiple chances to play the piano, and I loved it there.”

Summer brought her hands together, her face distant. Her voice was becoming familiar with me now, and I listened to what else she had to say, “I made many friends who also enjoyed music as much as I did, and we all played together. Each year we would practice on the piano, but…” Her eyes just stared at the ground, “I guess our instructor just only saw me as the best. I was in fifth grade, and he thought I was good enough to play, as if the other kids were no better.

“He signed me up for a concert, and decided I would go solo. My mother agreed to let me do it, since it would be a good experience for me. It was around then everyone sort of became hostile, more teasing than anything, even my friends were doing it. I did go to the concert and did well, but everyone just assumed that I was too good for them, and I didn’t need to sink so low to please them.

“That was what happened, and every time I tried to explain, they would point out I was a nuisance to them. The rest of my middle school years were like that. I just stopped talking altogether, and it stopped most teasing since nobody felt my presence. There was some teasing about my not talking deal, but that soon stopped.”

She smiled, “That was when I met Penny on the street randomly. We bumped into me, now that I think about it, it was similar to how we first met.” I grinned, remembering the mountain of papers, “She picked them up for me and apologized. She realized I didn’t talk and asked if I was deaf. I shook my head and she said that was a blessing and asked if I talked. I lied and said no so it was then she wanted to become my friend and taught me sign language. Well, we learnt it together. Since we were always together, she’d interpret my messages for me.”

She stopped talking to catch her breath, “But I don’t regret it though, I met you guys. Especially you, Nick. I’m really happy for that.”

She was laughing now, and I noticed how dark it was then. “It’s pretty late…” I started.

My phone started to off then and it was Lala calling, “Yeah?”

“OH MY GOSH WE GOT SECOND PLACE! SECOND PLACE!”

I could hear the cheers on the other line, and my phone was loud enough to be on speaker. I started to laugh, “Who got first?”

“The Crew,” She said, “And I’m trying to figure out why they haven’t done the fireworks yet-“

It was then we heard a crackle. Summer and I turned in our seats and saw them, the fireworks. I still had my phone on, and everything was silent except for the noise of the fireworks. I looked at the time, it was way past nine o’clock. “Hey, Lala, I’ll call you back.”

I hung up on her and asked Summer, “Do you have a ride home?”

“Penny said that she would have her mom take me home, but her mom doesn’t get home till late.”

“Want me to walk you home? It’s not far from here.”

“You don’t mind?” She asked, “I don’t want to be a burden.”

Somehow I felt the question had something to do with her past experiences, I smiled and patted her head, “You’re not a burden.”

I stood from the bench and dialed Lala’s number, “Hey, I’m taking Summer home…” I looked at Summer and Penny came to mind, “Give the phone to Blake.”

“Hey, lover boy, what’s up?” He asked.

“I’m responsible for taking Summer home safely which makes you have to take Penny home just as safe!”

“What! Why?” He asked.

I shook my head, “This is a command from yours truly. If you fail your mission, I will conquer an army to punish you for the sins you’ve committed.”

“Okay!” and I heard him laugh, “I’ll get you back for this!”

The phone shut off and held a hand out to Summer, “May I escort this princess home?”

She slapped my arm playfully, “Stop it!”

We walked down the park away from the crowds and fireworks. I stuck my hands in my pockets, “Well, at least I’ll get home before curfew.”

“When’s curfew?” She asked.

“Ten.” I answered, looking at my phone.

She looked over my shoulder, “That’s in twenty minutes!”

“Yep.”

“You’ll be late!”

“I’ll run.”

“But it’ll take ten just to get me home.” She exclaimed.

“I know, I’ve been to your house before.” I said, looking at her, “It may take five minutes to get your mom off my back. She’s a real talker, you know?”

“It’ll be impossible for you to make it home on time!” She said, clutching my shirt.

“For a girl who never talked before, you really do talk a lot.” I pointed out, giving her a teasing smile.

I saw her blush and looked away. I could tell she was worried for me. I patted her head, “Don’t worry about it. It doesn’t hurt to be late every once in a while.”

It seemed really weird for me to say this to myself about Summer, since I was a girl myself, but she really was cute for a girl, and sweet. It was a shame that the others couldn’t listen to her talk. I wondered if she would talk to them, then when I brought her home, her mom was there. Summer didn’t say a word and walked in, waving bye.

“Thank you so much, son. I’m glad it was you who brought her home.” Her mother said, and she brightened some, “Why don’t you come in and meet George?”

George? Summer’s dad? Why was she persisted I’d meet him, “I don’t mean to be rude, but can I do it another time? It’s pretty late.”

“No, no, no! All boyfriends should meet both parents. It’ll take a minute, that’s all.”

Boyfriend? Oh, God, she had to be kidding me. She took me into a study room where a man was sitting at a chair, reading a newspaper. “Sweety, the boy, Nick, I was telling you about is here.”

She giggled and shut the doors as she left, “Good luck!”

What the hell… I sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys :o I actually am very very sorry for leaving you on a cliffhanger for like EVER o.o lol I have messed with this story much, but i'll keep you updated.

If you want tweets on newly updated stuff follow me on my Twitter @TrinityHostile
I will also have stuff updated on Fanfiction.net :)