My Boy Hood

B-Ball

It was one against eight: totally not fair. They were nice enough to make a rule that no more than two can guard me, even that was unfair. The moment Sake passed me the ball for a check and I felt it’s familiar, rough pattern in my hands made all the training from what Dad taught me from the time I was seven up until last year came rushing into my head.

I dribbled the ball, and all sources of offensive moves came into my head. Don’t let them get close to you. Confuse them with your foot movements. Make them think you’re going one direction, yet switch to the opposite. I could hear my hear my father’s words in my father’s head as he spoke advice, you’re small, which can seem like you will lag behind, but if you can work on your speed and jumping skills, you could become the best player on the team.

But of course, you’ll have to have good judgment skills, so you can shoot, keep control of the ball, and dunk. The words ran through my head, making my heart pump as I danced my way through the guys who I knew who would be my teammates. I could feel my feet pumping just as fast as my heart after doing dunks and shots. It was strange how I picked up breakdancing from basketball, but I loved it. The adrenaline from the moves was the best feeling in the world.

Basketball was one thing, but dancing was like breathing to me: I couldn’t live without it. It wasn’t just a mere hobby to do for fun, it wasn’t a ‘talent’ to me, it was my life, and I couldn’t live without it. Dancing was my drug, a way to keep my mind off school, parents, and problems. Basketball was sort of like dancing to me, the right steps could get you ahead of your opponents and get you to the goal.

Before I knew it we were all sitting on the ground, panting. We were into the game for a good forty minutes, and it was warm outside, so the school uniforms didn’t keep you cool. “Next we play with him, I’m wearing shorts.” Blake said.

“No joke.” Sake muttered, unbuttoning his shirt.

“Let’s take a break.” Gill said, looking at his watch, “We got practice in about fifteen.”

“You’re really good,” Jason said, leaning on his knee, “how long have you’ve been playing?”

“Since I was seven.” I said.

“Who taught you?” Sake asked.

“My dad.”

I saw that Gill was going to ask something, but Blake was already on his feet, “Why don’t we head to the gym? We got to get Coach to let him on the team.”

It was something normal that he said, but the way he said it was rushed. We got up and followed him to the gym, some of the guys grabbed their duffel bags by the gate and we hurried to the gym.

We got there and the Coach, I realized, is also my Phys. Ed. teacher. He saw me and waved me over as the guys went into the locker room. The Coach started asking me questions. And a moment came when I said my last he asked who my dad was, “Donald Clayton.”

The Coach’s eyes widen some, “Really? Man… isn’t he the one that played basketball with college freshmen when he was a junior.”

I knew all about Dad’s past like a scrap book when it came to basketball, he wasn’t ashamed to talk about it. “You knew him?”

“Oh, yeah. I was a senior when he was recruited; I used to be good friends with him.” He chuckled some, “The other four seniors were pissed when that happened. I never had the chance to talk to him much after that.”

He furrowed his brow, “I remembered when he said he was going to be a father.” He looked at me, “Could’ve sworn he said he was going to have a girl though.”

My heart contracted, and I tried to keep a straight face as he continued, “It must be my mind playing tricks on me.”

He wrote on his clipboard, “I got extra uniforms in my office. I’ll get you set up and we’ll start practice.”

I followed him to his office, and before I walked in, Blake stuck head out the locker room door. “Nick?”

I grinned and raised a thumb up. He howled and went back into the locker room, “He’s in!”

I walked in the office, and I saw the Coach filling up the duffel bag with a uniform. “What size shoes you wear?”

“Seven and a half.”

The Coach chuckled, “You’re pretty small. Here you go.”

He handed me the shoes and the bag. “You have your uniform and one rule we have is to wear the full uniform during the school day of the game. If the game is on a Saturday, you’ll wear it on the last day of school.”

“Sounds simple enough.” I said, taking the belongings, “Thanks.”

“It’s the least I can do for an old friend.”

I walked out the office and into the locker room. The guys patted my back and welcomed me to the team. Coach called them out and told me to get into uniform. The guys uniform was red, and it had their numbers and the scorpion logo on it. When they left, I changed and put on my shoes. I thought to myself for a moment, and the Coach knew my dad.

He was right though, I am my father’s daughter, but I’m surprised he didn’t catch on. I sighed, it was only my first day, and already did I feel exposed. I rubbed my face; I didn’t know what to do. I groaned and stood from the bench. I had to be careful from now on. I can still act like myself, but I couldn’t let them get too close. I had to protect the girl behind the shell of a man. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Game with the guys must have been crazy, especially if its one against eight! And we discovered an old friend of her father?

Who could Nicky possibly run into next?

Stay tuned for the next chapter x]!

Character info is up!