My Boy Hood

First Game

The Coach wanted us to meet at the school at nine in the morning. I went, wearing my basketball uniform, and Lala came over earlier, so she tagged along with me. She was hoping for a free ticket inside, which was what she got. The game started at noon, and our opponent teammates came two hours before.

An hour before the game, everyone started crowding in. We had to depart into the locker rooms, and that was when our coach started to give us the big speech. We said our prayers, and he left. We talked among the group, and soon, we heard the intercom come on, and the speaker was giving his usual random talk before he introduced the teams.

He first introduced the opponents, the Lions, and they went jogging into the gym while we heard the stands screaming. He called us out next, and we did the same. Only, there were more people from my school here, and the screams became louder.

We came out, and we shot some balls to show how big of a deal we were. The crowd settled, and we gathered together in a circle. Jeremy, being our captain spoke, “This is our first game! We can’t let these guys underestimate us. They may be good, but we’re better. We’ve been practicing all summer for this moment! And what happens today will shape our future!”

We all stuck our hands in, “One! Two! Three! Scorpions!”

We yelled and screamed toward our crowd, who continued to cheer. I wasn’t part of the main game, so I took a seat along with some of the others. The Coach’s plan was to raise the score quick as possible with his best and trusted teammates, then to switch out with a team member that can keep the score rising at a steady pace, “It’s your chance to prove what you got, Clayton. These schools don’t know you, and don’t let them judge you based on your frame.”

That was the advice my Coach gave me before, though it sounded more of a command not to let him and the school down. I watched the guys, and saw Jeremy and one of the opponent teammates go to the center of the court. “I always love this moment.” Gill said to me, “Every time that Coach gets ready to throw that ball up, Jeremy always knocks it in.”

I watched him as the referee got ready. I watched, studying Jeremy, and the moment the referee threw that ball in the air, I knew exactly why Jeremy always got that ball. It was like time slowed as that ball left the hand of the referee. Jeremy’s focus sharpened, his mind only on the ball, and to grab it, like it was the only chance he had to grab onto that ball.

It was like a rare gem that he had to be the first to grab. He touched the ball, and time fast forward. The Scorpions had the ball and Blake was flying down the court, passing the ball to Sam, who did a lay-up, making a goal. The crowd went wild, and I felt my scream join theirs. The game continued on.

Before half time was up, we managed to get a score of 46-14. We went into the locker room, and the team retreated to a bench. Blake was slapping Jeremy on the back, talking to him. The Coach came in and told Jeremy and Blake to get dressed into their full uniform, that they are done playing. Gill and I were to take their places. Coach gave me a stern look, and I knew that he wanted me to give all I’ve got. “You’ve made a good first impression, now we need to show them that we won’t back down.”

I talked to Jeremy and Blake as they wiped the sweat from their faces. “You guys did great.” I said.

Blake nodded, grinning like an idiot. Jeremy just looked up and stared, “Thanks.”

“You okay?” I asked, wondering why he looked out of it.

He shook his head, covering his head with his towel. Half time was over, and it was my turn to give all that I had into this game. I was to take Jeremy’s place, and I had to knock the ball out of the opponent’s reach. We walked out, and I made my way to the center. “What?” a guy said, “Why am I going against a squirt like you?”

He was about 6’5”, and I could tell he was just trying to push my buttons. I grinned, “For a big boy, you speak your words a little slow.”

His eye twitched. He stormed off to his team, forming a circle. I joined mine and we did the same. “I think it’s pretty obvious that since these guys get the ball we need to take it back.” Gill said.

“I think I know how.” Sam said.

We all looked at him, and I think I knew why he was on the team. He will study our opponents, mark their weaknesses and strengths and use them against their selves. We crowded together, and he gave a brief explanation of what we should do. We spread apart, and got into our positions. The Lions had the ball, and the game started. I started down the court, ready to take action.

It was a very crazy game, and our plan worked through the game. It took a while for the players to realize our plan, but the guy from before came up with a plan of his own, but he waited until the end to pull it through. I hated these kinds of guys, those who did everything to bring attention to him. I caught on, and I made my way around the players before he could reach to the goal. I caught up, and we both jumped at the goal. It came close to missing, but I knocked it in the other direction.

Sam grabbed the ball as I landed on my feet. I looked at the so called Lion and smirked as I took off. I heard the intercom saying five seconds, and I booked it. “Nick!” Sam yelled.

“Open!” I yelled.

We made eye contact, and he shot the ball toward me. I dribbled and jumped once again. My hands slammed the rim and the ball fell through, and the buzzer went off. I landed on the ground, and looked at the score, and smiled. The score was 64-28.

We won.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah...I don't know much about basketball. I hope you liked the chapter!

Small spoiler for next chapter... Nick actually sees something she may or may not want to see :) Wonder who?

You know the drill x)! Subscribe and wait!

Also, some feedback would be nice...