Status: Hiatus Until Rewrite is Complete

Monsters

KENNA

I peered down at my new classmates with pride. I would never admit this to the family but being a part of something so humane and normal made me feel amazing inside. These strangers, these possible new friends were going to be my new family, my voluntary one. Honestly, if I had the choice, I wouldn’t be where I am now. I wouldn’t be with them. I crave control and power too much. I was a fucking death spirit, a Kere. I was older than most of them and yet still had no superiority, no supremacy. That has to be what bothered me the most. Now don’t get me wrong, I love them. We take care of each other, paradoxically. We are an unorthodox family at best, but a family nonetheless. I love them to no end. But I love authority more. I love seeing the look on a human’s face when the light leaves their eyes and they fade into nothingness. I love trapping them and dragging them down to the pit, watching their body writhing in pain and their faces twist in horror.

I’m diabolical. I enjoy it. And I enjoy that in this new premise, this new environment I have the opportunity to take the command that is so rightfully mine and have them all follow me. They’ll bow down to me in the most modern way. They’ll do my bidding and worship the ground I walk on without even noticing that most of the time my feet aren’t even touching it.

I took in one deep, content breath and plastered a wide, pearly white smile on my face. I walked through the crowd and down the stairs with a flawless grace that made the students stare. I paid no attention to the masses’ whispers and took time to recognize how the social groups formed and congregated at Oceana. There were a few cliques that I recognized right away, the jocks, the cheerleaders, the geniuses. I was disappointed to find that the rest of the student body associated with each other freely, making identifying the social stratification blurred and complicated.

No matter, I can work with anything. Across the hall of my first class I noticed that Student Government signups were taking place. Not many people were lined up, but I could easily notice my competitors for Student Body President. One was a very beautiful brunette who looked like a student government veteran, and a stout, bulky wrestler with way too much self-esteem. When I leaned over to sign up as a presidential candidate, both of them gave me once-overs. The guy was checking me out. I’m beautiful. There’s no doubt about it. Now I may sound just as cocky as he seems, but I’ve been alive for thousands of years. There was absolutely no reason to be self conscious about my appearance being that society is essentially a paradigm. That would be torture. The girl opponent gave me a genuine smile and stepped toward me.

“Glad to see someone new will finally be on the ballot. My name is Elysa.”

“I’m Kenna. Pleased to meet you.” We shook hands and I grinned at the exchange. How politician-like. She’ll most likely be a Senator someday.

“Good luck,” Elysa stated before heading down the hall. The remainder of the day went as usual. By the time school let out, I made an excellent impression on the teachers by answering practically every question, and correctly I might add. I flirted with the basketball captain and made many acquaintances. I was invited to six parties that were planned for this weekend and I plan to go to each and every one. Appearance is everything in high school. It’s a pity. They don’t even realize that they’re being manipulated into being my pawns. Oh well, better for me anyhow.

Image


I have to say today has been the grandest day I have had in a long time. Everything went so smoothly and now I was about to have a treat. In the town over from Oceana, I was summoned to collect the soul of a young prostitute. When I arrived I saw the mayor disposing of her body in a river that ran behind an old abandoned factory. He had stabbed her in the stomach sixteen times, which was how old she was. That bastard. I quickly brought her soul to purgatory, deciding to be nice for once. When I got back, I hid in the back of the mayor’s white Bentley as he dragged her skinny body towards the river’s edge. Pieces of flesh and fragments of bone littered the pavement. To add insult to injury, after he dumped her body he licked her blood off his fingers. To any sane human being, this would be mortifying, disgusting. However, it just made me grin. He had no idea what was coming to him. And he deserved every bit of torture I dished out. When he got situated inside the car, I appeared to him in my true form in the backseat. He screamed like a little girl. I let a maniacal laugh echo through the car as I disappeared. I allowed him to relax a little as I moved to the passenger seat, invisible to him. He drove for about five minutes before I reappeared.

“Hey honey. I can’t wait for our anniversary dinner either,” he stated happily on his cellular device. The audacity! He just cheated on her with a prostitute that was 35 years his junior, committed a murder, and then licked her blood off of his grubby, nicotine tinted, wrinkly hands.

“I’ll be home in a few minutes and then we can head to the restaurant. Yeah-yes honey. The tickets are at home. I love you too. Bye.” He rolled his eyes and threw his phone angrily in my lap. Time is up, asshole. As soon as he noticed me in his peripheral, I lunged, ripping out a good chunk of his throat. His warm blood showered me, and I moaned in pleasure. What a very, very good night. Before the car crashed, I transported us into my private bathroom where I drained his blood into my giant marble tub. As it filled up, I planted the prostitute’s body in the trunk of his crashed car. Oh yes, everyone will find out his filthy little secrets. I then placed his decapitated head on his front step, and rang the doorbell. I swear, I have never laughed so hard in my life. His wife dropped down to her knees and cuddled, yes cuddled, her husband’s head. Humans are so pathetic sometimes.

When I returned to my bathroom, I lit the scentless candles that were placed around the tub. I then stripped down naked and stepped into the beautiful, delicious, and thick ‘bath’. I held my breath and completely immersed myself in the blood, lathering it through my hair. When I resurfaced, I smiled. Blood was all over my face, dripping down into my eyes and mouth, staining my teeth red. The scent alone practically put me in a frenzy, sending welcome shivers through my body. I dipped back down and opened my mouth slightly, letting the blood flow in and swish around my tongue like a fine wine. Oh how sweet it was. Elizabeth Bathory did do something similar, but she did it wrong. Youth isn’t found in the blood of the young, it is found in the souls of the damned. The soul I took in particular was screaming at me. I trapped him in the bathroom with me, making him watch as I drank and bathed in his blood. His soul was so tormented that it did something that I had never encountered in my entire life. It disintegrated. I gasped in surprise at first, but then I erupted in joyful laughter. Lucifer would be pleased.
♠ ♠ ♠
I tried to make this as disturbing as I could manage. I hope it's enough.