Wolf Ears

1/1

He called me Wolf Ears.

He called me it cause of my favorite hat. He gave me the hat when we were younger… It didn’t fit me well back then and always fell over my eyes. He’d always make fun of me for it.

Our moms always said we’d make a cute couple. Our dads never disagreed, but they didn’t agree either.

Scott was always doing sweet romantic things. As kids, he’d pick me flowers from the devil lady’s yard and give them to me. I’d always be overdramatic and check him for wounds - the devil lady always yelled and sometimes came out with her walking stick.

And in high school he started being more romantic. We told each other our combinations for our lockers, since we were best friends and all, and he’d always leave me stuff in mine. Sometimes he’d write on my whiteboard little things like you’re mine and I can seeeeee youuuuu. They were always silly notes. And on Valentines day - even if I had a boyfriend - he’d put a rose in my locker and a cute little note.

I looked up from my photo book when I heard a tapping noise. I put the album down when I saw Scott’s head in my window. I smiled and opened the window up. “Hey, Scotty.”

“Come on, Wolf Ears. I wanna take you someplace.” He held his hand out for mine.

“Hang on, silly.” I went to my door and locked it before putting the album on my bedside table. I turned off my light and gave Scott my hand. He smiled before pulling me out my window and then closing it.

“I have something I want to show you.” He grabbed my hand again and started pulling me down the street. I giggled and followed.

“Whatever will you show me, Scotty?”

“You’ll see, Wolf Ears.”

I smiled and laced our fingers. We left the road and turned to the trail we had discovered once upon a time. It was our place. We kept going until we got to the open part of the trees. We could see the stars easy here. He plopped onto the ground and pulled me down too.

“Look,” He commanded pointing into the sky.

I looked at the sky and saw nothing but stars. “…I don’t get what I’m looking at.” I looked at him.

He smiled. “You see the slightly different color star?” I looked back in the sky and saw it. I nodded and he smiled. “That’s Mars.”

I rolled my eyes. “Is not. It’s a cloud of space gas.”

He chuckled. “It’s Mars, Wolf Ears.” He played with one of the ears on my hat and I smiled. I moved closer to him and leaned my head on his shoulder.

“What if I told you I doubted you?”

He gasped, overdramatically. “When do you ever doubt me?” I shrugged. He smiled. “Exactly.” He kissed my nose and I crinkled it up.

“Ewie! Scotty’s cooties are on my nose!” I whined, teasingly.

He laughed and wiped his sleeve on my nose. “All better?…Wait. What cooties? We’ve known each other forever and you haven’t mentioned cooties up until now.”

I giggled at his confused face. I pecked his nose and stood up. “Catch me and I’ll tell you!” I ran from him, knowing he’d catch up soon. I felt his arms wrap around my waist before he picked me up. I kicked my legs out and made weird noises.

“Caught you.” He kissed my cheek and smiled. He put me down and turned me around. “Now, when’d I get cooties, missy?”

I smiled. “You’re a boy, you’ve always had cooties.”

He smirked. “Oh really?” I nodded. “Then I guess this hat has my cooties.” He took it off my head and ran away.

“Scotty!!” I ran after him. “Gimme my hat back!”

He laughed and shook his head. “Come and get it!”

I stopped running and pouted at him. “Scotty. I want my ears. I’m not Wolf Ears.”

He turned around and continued jogging. “Awe, come on, Heather. You’ll always be Wolf Ears.” He put the hat on his head and stopped running. He pulled it over his eyes and laughed. “I’m ten-year-old Wolf Ears.”

I smiled and crept over to him. I grabbed my hat and ran. He laughed as I put it on my head. “I didn’t look anything like that, weirdo. And it wasn’t my fault the hat was too big.” I stuck my tongue out at him and sat on the ground. He came over and sat beside me.

“I’m sorry, Wolf Ears.” He pulled me into a hug and I smiled, hugging him back.

“You’re forgiven. As always. I don’t think I could ever stay mad at you.”

He gave a small smile when he pulled away. “I love you.”

“I love you too! Always have.”

He bit his lip - it was his nervous sign. “I mean… I really love you. Like… not sister-like. I always have and I’d always do little things to show it. And then you got your first boyfriend and had your first kiss and so I got a girlfriend, so you wouldn’t think I was gay or something. And whenever you had a boyfriend, I was bubbling with jealousy of not being able to be your first kiss or ever be kissed by you. It’s just so hard keeping these feelings to myself and I just want you and I don’t ever want to give you back to the world… And now you’re probably thinking I’m weird or some-”

I cut him off by pressing my finger to his lips. I smiled. “Scotty, I love-love you too. And all those boyfriends were nothing, but trying to get over my crush on you. I thought it was a crush and then every time you left me something in my locker… I’d get all school-girly. I don’t think you’re weird at all and I’m so glad you love-love me too… And…I haven’t…kissed anyone…”

He took my hand from his mouth and leaned forward slowly. “Can I kiss you, Wolf Ears?” He whispered when our lips were about two inches away. I nodded barely and we connected our lips. I felt a tiny spark and leaned closer. We kept our lips together for a little while before pulling apart. We were breathless and both smiling. I felt my cheeks heat up and he smiled. “You’re so cute.”

He brushed his fingers over my cheeks and I looked at him through my eyelashes. “Can…we kiss again?”

He grinned and nodded. We leaned into another kiss and this one was deeper. He tangled our fingers together and we made a small pop noise when we pulled away. I smiled and he smiled back.

I looked up at the slowly growing lighter sky. “Huh. The sun is rising… When’d that start?”

Scott smiled. “When we were kissing, I think.”

“Hey, Scotty?” He looked at me, telling me he was paying attention. “Would you be my boyfriend? I promise I won’t use you to get over a crush on you.”

He chuckled. “I’d love to be your boyfriend. But only if you’re my girlfriend and I can kiss you anytime I want to.”

I smiled. “Of course.”

He grinned and stood up, pulling me with him. “Come on, girlfriend. We should get you home before your parents notice.”

I giggled. “Alright, boyfriend. And I think we both need sleep. You could sleep over?”

He smiled. “I will then.” He pet my head and scuffed up my hat fur.

We got to my house shortly and when we got in my room we got in my bed and slept. I cuddled as close as I could to him and he held me. I like the feeling of this.

~~

Monday morning came and I was off to school. As soon as I got there I went to my locker, knowing Scott would be sucking up to teachers right now.

I opened my locker and saw a rose sitting on my books.

This will now be a daily thing since my best friend is now my boyfriend.