I Hate To Say This But I'm Stuck On Loving You, John O'Callaghan

PART 3

Thank God the drive to Kirch house was short. It was awkward sitting next to John. I was sitting as far away from him as humanly possible with my body pressed against the door. The car finally came to a stop and we all got out simultaneously like it was rehearsed. I glanced to my left to see John stretching. His white v neck rose up a bit and I could see the tip of his boxers and a bit of his toned stomach. Damn. It was hard not to stare. We walked up to Pat’s front porch silently, walked in the house, and went our separate ways. Well John, Garrett, and Pat went their separate ways. I kind of just stood at the doorway taking this all in and trying to see if I recognized anyone. It smelled like alcohol and the music was playing so loudly that I could feel the ground thumping. I took a deep breath before I weaved through large crowds of people so I could try to find Kennedy, Jared, and Tim. I eventually found the three of them together in the kitchen by the cooler with all of the drinks talking amongst themselves. Kennedy was the first to notice me there.

“Caitlin!” he yelled as he held a beer bottle he was drinking in the air. He was obviously drunk already. Then Tim and Jared held up their drinks and slurred some words that I couldn’t understand. Great, I just got here and my brother was already shit faced.

“Well, I’m going to go…find some people to talk to…” I finally said before I quickly turned around to walk out quickly, but there was something keeping me from walking the way I wanted.

“Sorry,” I mumbled before looking up to see who I had run into. Fuck.

“It’s not a problem.” John said with a slight grin on his face as he took a step to the left and made his way towards the cooler.

I bolted out of the kitchen and into the room with all of the people dancing. The first person I noticed was Garrett, but he wasn’t alone. He was making out with this girl who was in my English class. I would talk to her sometimes. I think her name was Kelly, but I wasn’t really sure. I shrugged my shoulders and decided to look for Pat. I found him talking to his cousin, Caroline. I loved when Caroline came to visit the Kirchs. She and I had always gotten along and we would always hang out a bunch when she came to visit. I guess you could say she was my best friend that was a girl. I walked over to them.

“Caroline!” I yelled as I opened my arms up to hug her.

“Caitlin! I was just asking Pat if you were here.” She said as she hugged me back.

‘Well, I’m going to find John. Make sure she doesn’t do anything stupid while I’m gone, okay Caitlin?”

Caroline rolled her eyes I nodded while he walked away.

Caroline smiled. “C’mon we have a lot of catching up to do. Come talk with me outside.” She then turned around and started making her way for the back door. I took that as a signal for me to follow her, so I did.

Caroline took a sip from her red cup. “So, how’s everything been going? I haven’t seen you in forever. Tell me everything that’s been going on since I’ve been gone.” She said grinning ear to ear. She was actually really interested in what was going on in my life. That was one of the things I loved about her.

“Well, there’s not much to tell. You probably know everything about tour and college and stuff…” I said trailing off.

“Caitlin, don’t talk to me about all of this shit that you know that I already know. Tell me something that I don’t get to hear from Pat. Give me something interesting. Are there any guys you are interested in?” she asked smiling. I hated this question. Why did she have to care what was going on in my life? I quickly shook my head, but obviously that wasn’t convincing enough.

“Caitlin, that is bull shit and you know it. You’re not telling me something.”

I sighed. She could always see right through me and I trusted her so I guess it was okay to tell her. I looked around us to see people all over the place. There were too many people here.

“Let’s go for a walk. I don’t want anyone else to hear this.”

She grinned knowing she had cracked me.