I Hate To Say This But I'm Stuck On Loving You, John O'Callaghan

PART 5

“Garrett, put me down right now,” I slurred.
“I know you. There is no way in hell that you are going to end up in my car at this point unless I physically put you there myself.”
“Aw Garrett you used to be cool.”
By then we had made our way to Garrett’s obnoxious yellow car
“Okay, Caitlin. I’m going to put you down now because I can’t open the car door while I’m holding you. You need to promise me that you will stay right where I leave you when I put you down, okay?” he said very slowly.
“I do what I want. I can’t be tamed!”
Garrett just signed and gently placed me down then sternly looked at me and pointed his finger saying, “stay.”
He quickly opened the car door then helped me get fastened in before closing the passenger door and sliding into the driver’s seat and starting the car. Garrett was obviously curious as to why I even took a sip of alcohol, but he knew that if he asked now, then he would never get an answer from me in this state so he didn’t say anything the car ride there until he started hearing muffled noises from the passenger seat. Garrett looked to his right to see Caitlin sobbing. Now he was really concerned.
“I…hate…my…life…” Caitlin yelped in between sobs
“You don’t mean that, Caitlin”
“But I do! I have this bum knee, my best friends and brother are leaving me to follow their dreams while I get to sit here and reminisce about the fun we had and the time period that I had a chance to follow my own dreams, and John will never feel the same way that I do. My life fucking sucks.”
Caitlin was now hysterical and Garrett didn’t know what to do. This kind of thing had never happened before. He was thinking about what he would say to comfort her, then he started to really realize what she had just said.
“Wait, wait, wait. What was that last thing that you said?”
“My life fucking sucks.” I said then sniffled.
“No…before that”
“Just that John will never feel the sa-…” I was drunk, but I was pulled together enough to know that I had just made a huge mistake. This is a prime example why I don’t drink.
Garrett’s eyes widened and he gasped. “I FUCKING KNEW IT. KENNEDY OWES ME $20!”
I started to panic. I just admitted my deepest secret to Garrett. Why did I have to drink so much? First of all, I wouldn’t even be in this mess. Second, I would have a clear enough head to cover up for this. Fuck feelings. They’ve done nothing but make things worse. Sometimes I wished they never existed. Dammit, Caitlin, pull yourself together. This is no time to ADD all over the place. You need to give Garrett a convincing answer that you didn’t mean what you said. Why am I giving myself a pep talk?
“You’re awfully quiet all of a sudden…” Garrett said.
Shit. I need an answer now. I sighed. Well I guess I should just tell him the truth.
“Garrett, what I am about to tell you doesn’t leave this car, ever. If it does I will kick your ass so hard. You and Caroline will be the only people that know and I would like to keep it that way.”
“What the fuck? Caroline knew before me!?”
“Garrett, this is serious.”
I was still slurring some of my words and hiccupping occasionally so I can’t really blame him for not taking me seriously.
Garrett cleared his throat and his facial expression changed completely. “Okay, you have 100% of my serious attention.”
I thanked him and told him everything from me having feelings for John for two years to what happened at the party tonight.
“…and now you know everything,” I said stressing the “everything” part. By now we were parked in front of Garrett’s house because I had a lot to tell him. Wait, why are we in front of Garrett’s house?
“Garrett, I thought you were taking me to my house?” I questioned
“You are in no condition to go home to your house and your parents will be pissed at not just you, but me and Pat as well. But that’s beside the point. Is everything you said true?”
“Yes…why would I lie about this?”
“That douche bag! How could he do that to you!?”
“Garrett, it’s not like we had anything going on between us anyway.” I nearly whispered as a tear fell down my cheek.
“Yeah…but…well you know what I mean. I hate seeing you hurt.”
“Can we just go inside? I’m really tired and I think I’m going to be…” I trailed off on account of I just puked all over Garrett’s lap. This night was now officially perfect.
“Fuck!” He yelled.
“Shit, Garrett. I’m sorry,” I said. Then I opened the door and when I tried to stand up my legs had other plans and I fell right on my ass. I started to giggle which turned into me laughing uncontrollably.
Garrett got out of the car and made his way over to me. Instead of helping me he just looked at me, confused.
“You are such an odd drunk. One minute you are having a serious conversation with me and the next you are laughing because you fell.”
He then walked behind me and picked me up bridal style just like he did before and started walking towards the front door.
“Like I mentioned before, you are staying here tonight. You can sleep in one of my shirts and a pair of boxers or something. You can sleep in my bed and I’ll sleep on the floor.” Garrett said slowly
We were now right in front of the door and Garrett was trying to find a way to open it while holding me. I looked at him, went into a giggle fit, and poked his nose.”
“beeeeeeeep.” I said before I started laughing uncontrollably again.
Garrett started laughing too and he finally got the door open. He stopped laughing and whispered
“My parents are asleep. You have to be really quiet. They won’t mind you staying here, but they will mind the fact that you are drunk and you’re loud.”
I put my finger to his lips making the “shhh” noise and laughed quietly.
Garrett carried me up the stairs and we went into his room. He started going through his dresser and found a plain white t-shirt and a pair or red plaid boxers and handed them to me. I went to the bathroom to change and when I got back Garrett had already set up and bed on the floor for himself and was lying there in just the boxers he was wearing. I walked over to the bed and collapsed on it the second I got to it. I was out cold. Perfect timing.