I Hate To Say This But I'm Stuck On Loving You, John O'Callaghan

PART 7

I stood there frozen trying to think of something to say
“I…um..have to physical therapy…” I stammered then immediately ran up to my room. I needed to buy some time.
When I got there I locked my door and started pacing. Shit, what am I going to tell her? If I tell her the truth she’ll kill me and if she finds out I’m lying, she’ll kill me. It’s practically a lose, lose situation. I took a deep breath and pulled out a pair of black running shorts and a white t-shirt. I quickly put them on and put my hair into a pony tail. I have to go down now before I’m late. That will probably get me into even more trouble. I loved my mom, she was just very tough on me. She was very strict and pretty much always followed the rules. Plus I knew that she secretly hated all of the boys in The Maine besides Jared of course. She actually just hated when I hung around guys, which was a lot. I had very few girl friends. I think that was another reason why I liked John so much. My mom hated him and that made me want him so much more. I made my way downstairs to see my mom still sitting at the table with the paper. The car keys were next to her. Damn, I need my own car.
“Oh, there you are, Caitlin.” My mom said smiling
Maybe she forgot, I thought hopefully
“Here I am…and I need to go before I’m late. Can I have the keys, please?”
“I know that was Garrett’s car. There is no way around this. You have a lot of explaining to do when you get home. “
“Yes, ma’am.”
She held her hand out with the keys
“Be careful. Make it there on time, but no speeding.”
“Got it, mom. I’ll be back in a little bit.”
I walked out of the door and got into the car. I still had no clue what I was going to tell her, but I had a lot more time to think of an answer. I started the car and made my way for physical therapy.
*
I pulled into the driveway about an hour and a half later. I saw John’s white truck sitting on the curb in front of my house so I assumed that all of the guys were there for band stuff or something. I walked in the door to see the 5 of them sitting on the couch eating food and watching Fight Club. Pat shoved some popcorn into his face and started waving frantically at me. I waved back with almost as much excitement as Pat and started to walk upstairs so I could shower. I reeked. I probably should have showered before therapy, but I had no time. I turned to walk up the stairs, but I was interrupted.
“Freeze,” my mom said.
I squinted my eyes and slowly turned towards her
“Yes, mother?”
“You still have to tell me why Garrett drove you home in that atrocious car of his.”
I cleared my throat “Well, you see, uh, Garrett spent the night there…with..um…Pat and he uh had to go home anyway…so he decided to save Caroline the trip. You know how those crazy gas prices are.” I stammered.
My mom pursed her lip and looked at me deep in thought then replied by saying “okay” slowly.
I took a deep breath and continued back up the stairs. Thank God she bought that. I walked into my bathroom and started the shower. I stripped down and let the warm water hit my back. It felt so good. After I was all washed up I rapped a towel around myself and started to walk down the hallway to my room so I could change. I was lost in my thoughts and before I knew it I was on the ground and my head hurt.
“Shit, I’m sorry,” a familiar male voice said.
Please tell me that’s not who I think it is. I looked up to see none other than John O’Callaghan crouched down next to me with a worried look in his eyes. Ugh, those beautiful, hazel eyes. I could just stare into them all day if I wanted to.
“It’s not a problem. I just get kind of lost in my thoughts sometimes and lose track of what’s going on around me.” I said laughing nervously and adjusting my towel. Lost in my thoughts sometimes? What the fuck was I saying? Fuck you John. You’re the one that does this to me.
He smiled his infamous crooked smile that made my knees week.
“Okay, good. Jared sent me up here to find his phone. You wouldn’t happen to know where it was, would you?” he asked.
“I think it’s on his nightstand…if it’s not there it’s probably on his desk.”
“Oh, well thanks, Caitlin.”
And just like that he walked away. I took a deep breath. Real smooth, Caitlin, real fucking smooth. I finally made it to my room and opened up my closet to pick out something to wear. I decided on a pair of light, ripped denim shorts and a red plaid shirt. I slipped that on, then brushed my hair. My hair was naturally straight and I didn’t really feel like doing anything special to it so I decided to let it air dry. I put on a little bit of foundation, some mascara, and a very light coat of black eyeliner. Now that I was presentable, I starting walking downstairs. I made my way to the family room, where I saw the boys earlier to see the movie was over. Garrett picked his hand up and motioned for me to come sit next to him so I did.
“So, what are you all doing?” I asked.
‘Well, we were thinking about going to get something to eat. Do you want to come?” Kennedy said.
“Sounds good. Let me put on a pair of shoes first.”
I ran upstairs and grabbed my black vans. They are pretty much the only shoes I wear. They’re comfortable and they go with everything, why not? I walked outside to see the boys already piling into John’s truck. John and Jared were in the front while me, Pat, Garrett, and Kennedy got in the bed of the truck.
“So, my mom saw you drop me off today.” I said nonchalantly.
“Damn, I’m sorry, Caitlin.”
“No, it’s fine. I covered for it. I told her you stayed with Pat last night and somehow she believed it.”
Garrett sighed in relief and we all just made small talk the rest of the way there. Soon enough, we pulled into a parking lot of a Panera and we all piled out. It looked kind of like what clowns do in cars. Even though John drove a truck, it was pretty small. We all walked in and to our luck there was no line. I was actually having a pretty lucky day today. Well, that’s what I thought until I saw who the cashier was. I had only seen her for a few seconds, but I could recognize her at any time. Yep, it was the girl from last night. She was the one who kept me from talking to John last night. Just my luck.