Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 13

Jacob Black.

Was I making a mistake?

I wasn’t sure. I didn’t know if it was a good idea to see Violet right now or not, or if it was a better one to stay away. It’d been so long since I did this.

But I’d gone two days without seeing her, and I couldn’t really take anymore. It hurt every second I was away from her, and I had to know how she was; how she was feeling, how she’s been hiding, and most importantly how the hell she was going to react to seeing me after our kiss the other night.

Could I be anymore pathetic?

Ignoring that, I trudged glumly up the drive, feeling an odd building in my stomach that I ignored as nerves. My head was hazy.

“Vi?” I called quietly, cursing mentally at how stupid I sounded. I rubbed the back of my neck nervously and followed down to where Violet was coming out of her room. Her eyes widened when they saw me, but not in that oh-my-god-this-is-awkward way. She seemed scared.

My heart dropped into my stomach like a dead weight.

“Violet?” I asked, ducking to her level so she was looking in my eyes, “What’s wrong?” I asked, my voice dropping lower. She shook her head but didn’t say anything.

Something was seriously wrong now, I could feel it creeping its way back into my stomach and stirring in the back of my head. She looked completely terrified.

“Jake…” She mumbled, but nothing else seemed to want to come out. Her eyes were shut tight and I had the overwhelming urge to take her into my arms. So I did.

I just held her while she buried her head in my lower chest that was about all she could reach. Like so many times before, she fit perfectly, and I didn’t want to let her go.

I had to though, she was pulling back to look at me, her expression no longer scared but hurt and sad in a way that made my heart clench agonizingly and my own fear grow.

Was she about to say something about the kiss? Did she want me to leave her alone for a while and just check on her like I was supposed to? I could deal with that, if she…wanted me to leave.

She couldn’t get rid of me completely though, which I was grateful for. She was my imprint, and it took so long to realize it I wasn’t wasting any more time with her.

Bella was nothing but a fuzzy dream-like memory that I could care less about. All that mattered was Violet.

And right now Violet was about to tell me something that made my world come crashing down.

“I have to leave,” she whispered brokenly. Her eyes were unreadable now, like they so often were when I wanted to understand them the most.
“What?”

That was about all I could manage to whisper, my hands tightening ever so slightly on her waist.

She didn’t look at me anymore.

And that was when I caught the scent.

Spinning around and dropping Violet to do so, I came face to face with the same person who stole Bella away from me and left me in this nothingness.

Edward.

“Hello Jacob,” he stated, reading my mind, which had become too blurred for me to comprehend at the moment.

My throat was dry as I locked eyes with Violet who was looking at me again. This was it then. Violet wouldn’t have called him here unless it was the end, and we were out of options. But why was he here, besides that.

I didn’t want to let her go.

Frowning at me, Cullen moved closer to the two of us, probably wanted to figure out what the hell I meant when I thought that. His eyes widened considerably when he did, but he composed himself on Violet’s behalf probably. She didn’t need to know, and I couldn’t tell her.

“Jacob. Perhaps we should go somewhere to speak about this privately,” he suggested, his eyes touching Violet’s face where I could see her distant expression. She nodded to me, without looking up and I took it that she couldn’t tell me what was happening even if she wanted to.

My feet dragged me automatically to where Edward was, and he led the way as we left Violet behind us.

Edward.

Jacob remained silent, staring at the route in front of him with his thoughts conflicted and centered on Violet and the way she looked when we left.

The pair had truly grown close in the past few months, and they both felt deep feelings for each other they were afraid of. And they had a right to be.

Violet was in love with Jacob, the girl was practically screaming it, but Jacob was oblivious. And he was in love with her as well, and had imprinted on her; but she was just as oblivious.

I would have pointed it out, but it was not my place, and it would not be right to have them confessing now since I was about to tear them apart.

Poor Jacob, to him it seems as though I am always taking the love of his life away from him somehow.

“Violet had a vision,” I said when we were far enough away. Jacob tried to understand, but his thoughts were still suffering over how Violet was treating him like the plague at the moment. I hoped he would understand soon.

“What’d she see?” he said quietly, not really caring or willing to understand. I shook my head at his thoughts. The boy was in denial.

“I assume she told you about the wolves that changed her,” he nodded once so I continued, “Well they have been tracking her for a while now and it seems as though their search is leading them directly to La Push.”

His head snapped up, finally understanding what was happening, “What?” he hissed, and I could see his arms and shoulders shaking from where I was about a foot away from him.
“Watch yourself,” I warned, “If you phase now your pack will know everything,”

Gritting his teeth, he stopped his trembling and waited for me to continue. I sighed deeply, feeling as if I was talking to a toddler. “We- well I think Violet should move on now. She has been in the area for too long and that is not healthy for her situation. Also, her being here is a risk to just about everyone in the area, including you.”

He was silent, staring longingly back towards the house that Violet occupied and deeply thinking of what I was asking of him.

Jacob wanted her safe and he knew that he had to let her go, but he also did not want to and recognized how selfish he was being.

The pain was tangible and I pulled back from his mind for a second while he tried to speak.
“Ok,” he said, his voice thick, and I knew it killed him to say that. I was about to touch his shoulder, to try and console him but I knew it would not help anything.

“There’s just one more thing,” I said quietly, watching his thoughts become panicked again. “What now?” Jacob groaned. To himself or to me, I was not sure because he wasn’t.
I tried to think of how I could put this in a way that would not set him off. “Violet…Violet’s certain that one of the wolves coming after her can read minds. She thought it would be better…easier for them not to come after you for helping her if she blocked out all your memories of her.”

His appearance changed, his face went from worried to shock to anger in a second. He did not want to forget her. I hurried to reassure him.

“Your memories will not be erased of course; it just makes it so other people cannot read them. That was actually why Violet called me here, she can block them but she needed my help.”

Jacob once again had nothing to say, but he silently agreed. He did not want to do anything that could kill him, or lead anyone to his Violet.

Hmm…his thoughts were so possessive, it must have come with the imprinting. I ignored it and attempted to tell him more about the people who were coming but he did not want to hear it. He just wanted to know when Violet was leaving and if she was going back with me.

I told him when, and watching his face fall and his breath get knocked out of him after realizing that he only had a day left with her, and that I couldn’t tell him where she was going because I did not even know.

Then, I had to explain how the blocking of his memory would work, which he was distant for.
I couldn’t say anything to comfort him if I tried, so I didn’t attempt to. He dragged himself slowly back, his expression dead and hard.

I kept pace with him, only walking a few feet ahead and watching as Violet raised her head as we approached. Her expression was similar to his, but there was a dull fire burning behind her eyes with pain. I felt like a monster.

Putting these two together was a bad idea, because now they both were going to be shattered when Violet left. It was worse for Violet because she had never felt this strongly about anyone, but it was bad on Jacob because he had already been broken and Violet had been restoring him.

Violet stared at Jacob’s face but he avoided her eyes as a compression seemed to press down on him. Apologies were bubbling in Violet’s head, but she bit her lip as I told her that I had explained to Jacob what was happening.

She nodded to me, before asking Jacob if he wanted to start now. He shrugged in a lifeless way, “It doesn’t matter to me,” he muttered and I sighed before looking up at the clouds.
“Let’s at least go inside,” I said, when rain started to fall. It fit the mood and neither of the pair protested, following with different hurt on their minds.

Jacob.

I sat tiredly on the edge of the Cullen’s couch. The large window taking up the back wall had streaks running down it from the rain that suddenly hit and it looked like tears running down the glass. The forest was blurred by the curtain it created.

Violet sat on the floor at my feet and Edward sat next to her. She spoke first, and her voice was sad and emotionless for reasons I knew I would never know. “You have to be still,” she whispered and I nodded. No problem, my head was spinning away from my body anyways.
The only thing I registered was Violet reaching out to hold my hand while Edward had his eyes closed. I couldn’t tell what they were doing until they were nearly done. Violet started to appear in my every thought before I looked over at her to see her staring at me.

She was running through my memories of her, blocking them off. I could just barely feel her intrusion, like a slight brushing in the back of my head while thoughts danced before me and Edward helped in a way I couldn’t tell.

Her thoughts blurred through each of my memories quickly, only lingering on one of my most recent; the kiss we shared a couple of days ago before she moved onto today.

Edward’s eyes opened for that part, staring at me with a hidden expression but he didn’t say anything and soon enough we were done. Edward mumbled something about leaving us alone and I realized I was still holding Violet’s tiny hand in mine. This was my last day with my imprint. My Violet.

She was leaving me in the morning and I might not ever see her again.

I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to her.