Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 17

Violet.

I hate the city.

Everything is loud.

All the humans are all on top of each other and in each other faces. And rude.

It sucks.

New York City is probably my own personal hell on earth, but Edward had another safe house here where I most likely wouldn’t need a guard. People were constantly around me, making me twitchy and jumpy at every moment.

Even with the crowds though, there was no security here, and I longed for the quiet desolateness of Washington, where Jacob was alone with his pain and mine.

By my pain, I mean my ‘pack’ which weren’t planning on leaving anytime soon. Jake was surprisingly good at dealing with them though from the glimpses I’ve caught.

Except of course, when that skanky blonde, Jamie, starting sticking her nose in places it didn’t belong and followed him to our spring.

I remembered her, she had been the reason the wolves had found my family so fast last time. The only reason they added her to the pack, or bothered saving her from her psycho ex, were because they wanted her to find me. They knew she’d have a talent, and they weren’t wrong.

She was the mind reader.

It didn’t matter though, she couldn’t tell Jacob knew me, and she took interest in him anyway. I couldn’t help but know, and I snuck peaks at Jake more than I would’ve usually because I couldn’t stand the fact that he might suddenly get sick of waiting for me and let her do what she pleased with him.

These thoughts had me up and night, just wondering what would happen if I did go back one day and Jacob had moved on. I wouldn’t blame him. Jake deserved a break from all the pain anyways.

It still had me anxious though, the thought of another girl with Jacob, for stupid reasons. I shouldn’t care what happened to him, or if he moved on, and yet I was still lying awake at night wishing I was back in Jacob’s arms again and praying that no one else would ever be.

“Pardon me, miss, but is that seat taken?” a voice said, I looked up to see a hazel-eyed man, probably in his early twenties smiling at me in a friendly way. I shook my head tiredly and he sat just as the doors on the subway closed and several other people filed in, pouting when they saw they’d have to stand, as if it was the most devastating thing in the world.

People were too lazy now days, and also complete and total drama queens.

How I know? I just abandoned the only man I’ve ever loved, or will ever love, have been hunted by people who wanted to kill me my entire life, and am stuck in a place that I’d rather eat my own hands than live in.

Despite all that, even I have yet to make a face like the ones some of these people are wearing. I suffer in private.

“How long have you been in New York?” the friendly guy next to me asks. I snap out of my thought process to look at him.

“Huh?”

He smiles, well almost a smirk and repeats the question. “How long have been here? You don’t seem like you’re a born Yankee.” He says, and snickers at his own joke.

I try to find the humor in it, but am unable to and simply smile dryly.

“Your right, I’m not, I moved here a month ago.” I say, wondering briefly if I am giving away too much information.

My own parents had never gotten to the ‘don’t talk to strangers’ lesson during my childhood, but Edward had given me multiple warnings, as had Farah.

I didn’t plan on continuing this conversation long though, and the guy was doing most of the talking while I let my mind go blank, nodding where needed.

Soon, I reached my stop, and the guys, Trevor, frowned when he saw that I was leaving. I said a hasty goodbye though, because for some reason I was starting feel uneasy before I walked out onto the grimy street to my clean and tidy apartment.

His was a more populated area of New York, so no one could drag me away screaming without one of my rich neighbors reporting them.

So soon though, I’d have to leave my small web of safety and head into the forest.

Tomorrow was the full moon again.

XxX

I sat on the grass of upstate New York, far from the city, and completely isolated. The trees covered me, hiding me from anyone with prying eyes, which might, in a few moments be considered a meal.

The wind shifted, and I inhaled a deep breath as I felt my control slipping from me.

In Washington, being a wolf was slightly easier because the clouds always had the moon tamed. Here though, the sky was open and bright while my body took the shape I had never truly accepted, and my control disappeared in on itself.

I ran for nothing, running just to run and tearing my teeth into whatever I could find. Luckily tonight no humans were wandering the woods. I didn’t have barely enough control to resist chasing the little rabbits that scampered my way, much less a warm bodied, meat made person who seemed like they’d be a five star meal right now.

I ran early into the morning, phasing back and throwing on my clothes that were right where I left them.

No matter how far I ran each night, I always seemed to end up back in the same place where I started.

Sighing, I stood up, muscles aching and hair tangled before limping back to where my rented car was waiting for me.

I never made it that far.

Before I could blink, I was on the ground.

My body crashed into a tree, obviously, and I hit the cold unforgiving earth with a thud that echoed off the forest.

“Wha-” I started, but stopped because a pain started in my back while I felt blood seeping into my clothes and I fell onto my stomach. My vision blurred, but flashes of what was to come danced before my eyes and I knew what was happening; I just didn’t believe it.

I should’ve seen it coming.

“She’s a wolf.” A voice said, just as figures started hovering over me. I recognized the voice; it was the man on the subway. But the face had changed.

Shape shifter, I realized too late.
I should’ve been paying attention.

“We can’t keep her now,” another said, but I was too weak to notice.

Running had drained me, and although only an hour ago I’d been at my strongest, I was at my weakest now. These vampires have amazing timing.

“Ugh, what a wasted effort.” A female voice snapped. I slumped in on myself but tried to raise my head. The foursome glared at me when I did, and I whimpered quietly. They would decide my fate no doubt, but that part of the future wasn’t set in stone.

“The girl is weak, I suggest we take her.” The second voice said eagerly.

“She’s too powerful; we have to break her first.”

I was lifted up by two sets of icy arms. My head fell limply back as I tried to find the energy to even glare at them. They would break me, and then they would have whatever they needed to do whatever they wanted.

While they discussed what to do with me, three arguing while the forth watched me carefully, I thought of Jacob.

If I died tonight, even that would’ve been better than the thought of Jacob, alone in the world and with them most likely coming after him after they finish with me.

“Enough,” the forth vampire said, I could barely see him with my hazy vision, but I caught a glimpse of dark hair, pale freckled skin, and red eyes.

“Let’s see what she knows first,” he started, “She can lead us to the others.”

His voice sent a shock through me, but then I realized it wasn’t his voice, it was his mind, entering mine and shifting through my memories while I fought back desperately and uselessly, trying to keep Jacob hidden, and finally finding the will to scream.