Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 19

Violet.

My body jerked violently to the side, my sense of equilibrium gone and my head smashing against what felt like metal and causing me to jerk awake.

There was something over my head, covering my eyes and something else gagging me so I continued to thrash around blindly and in silence.

Where the hell was I?

I couldn’t remember, I couldn’t remember anything but the cold. Cold everywhere, like someone had thrown me into a lake during winter…and wasn’t letting me come up for air.

“She’s awake,” someone said, their voice giving me a headache. I whimpered, unable to do anything else and attempted to sit up.

More cold; icy hands shoved me backwards by my shoulders. I hit my head again and felt tears run down my hidden face. My head hurt. My chest hurt.

It felt like someone had just shoved me through a wood chipper and I’d come back out again. Or like someone was banging drums in my head, vibrating my skulls and sending waves of pain through.

The vehicle I was in lurched again and I felt my stomach twist and I endured it in silence.

Whatever happens to me, please just let Jacob be okay.

Jacob.

Mate, Violet, Angel, Violet, Wolf, Violet…

Never conscious thoughts, but always there, in the back of my head since becoming a practical cripple. My head hurt, a lot but that wasn’t all.

I mentioned I wasn’t thinking of Violet consciously, and there was a complicated reason why.

I was afraid too.

Okay, so maybe it wasn’t that complicated, but it didn’t change the fact that it was true.

If I thought of…her, I was afraid I might break. Even subconsciously, thinking about her hurt, because that shield started shimmering, twisting out of place so it felt like it was rupturing before I thought of something consciously.

It was a very delicate relationship.

Everything balanced though, and I was occupied by other things the day after my first night at Emily’s. Since I had been out for so long, they were afraid to let me out of sight like I’d strain myself, even though any remnants of the mental attack on me, through her, had disappeared almost completely.

I put up with it though, refusing to think, move or speak while more time passed than I’d have thought. It’d been five weeks since Violet left, and that sick dreadful feeling I had gotten a week ago didn’t leave, just like my headache didn’t leave.

It only got worse.

XxX

Screaming…someone was screaming.

Shocked, I jolted upright in my borrowed bed to see Emily rush in. I jumped up so fast my head spun, but ran past her anyways, unable to make sense of anything she was yelling. I only caught the words ‘help,’ and ‘help him’

The last image I caught of her, was of her crying, her eyes wild while she begged me.

I ran out of the door, and phased, shocked when I realized I could, and heard the chaos jumbling around in my head. It was hard to pick out individual voices, but Leah’s stood out among the rest, shrill and feminine, filled with an agony I only barely understood.

They have Sam!!!!

It was all it took to have me running to the clearing the pack was charging through, easily overtaking Seth, Quil, Embry, the newbies and soon catching up to Leah, who was running like a bat out of hell.

Vampires.

Vampires were here.

They caught our Alpha.

Not just any vampires either.

They were the same.

They hurt Violet. They broke her. They took her.

She was who knows where right now, still suffering and still in pain. I could feel it.

In my mind, everything that had happened was clear as day.

Paul, Jared and Sam on patrol, the sneak attack, and the fight.

Not a real one, but more like the vampires dragging Sam off while Paul and Jared cringed on the ground, where they were now, my dad and Sue Clearwater leaning over them while Paul let out a stream of violent profanities in his mind.

Sam was separated from the pack now, as were Canto’s crew, who had been dragged off too. No one knew where they had gone though.

How many leeches were there? I wondered.

I don’t know, there were only four when they grabbed Sam. Leah hissed the others long behind us. We would have to go it alone; there was no time to wait for reinforcements.

We caught up, barely, just to reach a group of at least ten vampires, six of which were newborns. There were more though, I could smell it.

Suddenly, this idea didn’t seem like it was very well thought out, and I knew that the desperation had possibly just killed us both.

Shit! I cursed when Leah was thrown back with the same mental force that had immobilized Paul and Jared. It did nothing for me though, because I was dragged forward.

My nails dug into the ground, my claws grating against rough dirt before I was stopped, by my muscles contracting against my will.

I stopped, head bent and mind foggy to a dark haired leech with a bored look and freckles. He was the puppet master. The one who had brought Violet to her knees.

But he didn’t know I knew and I could feel the block still in place.

Violet must’ve 'told' him though, because he recognized me, that much was certain.

His eyes held annoyance, like I was burdening him with my life and he barked out orders to the others in a foreign language, Portuguese I think, before some melted away, to where I knew Sam would be.

A female vampire arrived at his side, touching my face while I wasn’t allowed to jerk away. Confusion swept across her, her perfect pale eyebrows pinching over her tiny nose while her mouth screwed up in a frown.

An endless moment passed, where everything seemed to catch up with me.

Was this the end?

It couldn’t be. I couldn’t die like this. I owed to many explanations, and where was Sam? He didn’t deserve this; he was a good man, with a wife waiting at home for him.

He shouldn’t die because of me, even though I knew he would.

Die for me that is, because I refused to blame Violet for this. Even now, on the brink of death, with fate shaping itself right in front of me, I blamed her for nothing.

I loved her. Even if I died at her hands I’d always love her.

My imprint.

My angel.

The leeches hadn’t even noticed the mental conclusion I’d come to, or the pack either for that matter. Leah and I were too fast for our own good, and they weren’t even close. Violet’s shield was protecting them from knowing the truth.

“Which one is Alpha,” the leech with dark hair said, with his speckled face blank and dead. It was as if he were reading off listings of people in the morgue.

The porcelain girl shook her head while eyeing first Sam, then me. Her eyes glowed scarlet, and I took it she was probably a few centuries younger than her commander, although she wasn’t a total newbie.

“I don’t know,” she said furrowing her brows, “This one by blood but that one by stance,” she murmured, as if that made sense. The brunette hissed in frustration, as if someone had just ruined his day. “Fine, forget it, we’ll take both.”