Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 2

For a week I waited, wondering when Edward’s little surprise would arrive, or when he would suddenly decide that this little joke had gone on long enough.

I was thinking about it constantly, even while I was at the cliff which is strange because I don’t ever think of anything while I’m there. I was wondering if he was sending me some kind of treasure, like in the movies, or if it was something I wouldn’t understand, like he said. It could be something stupid, of no real value but that had some important life lesson involved.

God, I was sick of wondering, I wanted to know.

I guessed my dad could sense a change in me, because he was staring at me a lot more, even if I caught him, like right now for instance. He was studying my face while I ate my dinner at nearly ten at night. Normally he would’ve gone to bed long before, but I knew he was worried about me for how I’ve been acting.

I excused myself, going into my room and pretending to sleep. After about five minutes though, I got up and snuck out my window.

I wasn’t ready to sleep surprisingly, I felt edgy and something in the pit of my stomach and the back of my head that told me that today was the day Edward’s little mystery showed itself. Unable to shake these thoughts, I found myself at the cliffs again. I was surprised I hadn’t worn a trail into the ground by now.

I suddenly felt bad, but not only bad, angry and depressed and trapped.

Why am I so screwed up?

Why can’t I find someone to love me back or at least look at me like I’m not insane or breakable?

I should just end it now. The sharp rocks jutting from the cliffs seemed so inviting. Maybe I’d get lucky and I’d actually die, instead of healing.

Of course that wasn’t set in stone either way. If I waited for a storm, I could probably drown myself…

But I couldn’t end it now; I owed it to my pack, to my dad. They wouldn’t be able to handle it if I gave up now. I fought for so long, there had to be some kind of reward. No one can be miserable forever right?

There has to be hope for me, somehow…

And maybe that was the key right there.

Whatever Edward was sending, had already made a change in me, maybe whatever it was, could help me snap out of the rest of this depression; give me a purpose again. I could only hope.

But I wasn’t expecting my prayers to be answered so soon.

“Excuse me,” a female voice called from behind, I jumped and nearly toppled over the edge of the cliff. I turned, to see a tiny girl, about 5’1 standing with her arms crossed.

She was scowling, looking highly uncomfortable, maybe even a little afraid or angry, but her voice had been a whisper. She was wearing a faded pair of blue jeans that had seen better days and a red t-shirt under a black jacket that wasn’t zippered, even though it was late November.

She didn’t smell human, but she didn’t smell like anything I could name either.

“Yeah?” I asked, my voice sounded wrong; I wasn’t used to talking to anyone, and it felt strange to do it now, to someone I didn’t even know.

The girl didn’t seem fazed by my confused tone, but looked me in the eye. Her eyes were brown, deep-set and beautiful; there were no emotions in them I recognized but that made them stand out more.

“Are you Jacob,” she asked, stepping forward so I could take in the rest of her. She was thin, but slightly curvy with long brown hair, about to her elbows, and slightly wavy at the bottom.

“Yes, who’s asking?” I said, standing up. She looked even smaller in this position, and I was looking down at her.

She sighed deeply, and I realized I was waiting for a response. “I’m Violet, Edward sent me here; he said that you’d be able to protect me…” she looked at me expectantly, cocking a hip and it suddenly clicked for me. She was the thing Edward wanted me to keep safe.

Well damn. Way to warn a guy.

“He...didn’t say…” I stuttered and she watched me, her hand falling on her hip where it jutted from her side.

“Yeah well, he didn’t say much to me either, just that I had to come here and that I could stay in the Cullen’s home...” she paused, eying me skeptically. “So I’m guessing he was trying to get rid of me so fast he didn’t entirely think this through.” She finished.

Her words picked at my curiosity, making me actually feel the need to pay attention. “Why was he trying to get rid of you so fast?”

She scowled again, deeper, the only expression I’d seen on her face since meeting her. I wondered briefly what expression was on my face.

“That is none of your business,” she snapped.

I was surprised, and I was sure she could tell cause’ I snapped right back.

“Well, obviously it’s my business if Edward wants me to help protect you. Don’t you think I outta know what I’m doing? He said I wouldn’t turn you away, but right now I’m seriously considering it, so talk.”

Her face was unreadable as she sucked in a deep breath.

“I’ll be at the Cullen’s” she muttered, turning on her heel, and stalking away.