Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 20

Take? Did he say take?

Weren’t they planning on killing us?

Quil, Embry and the newbies all started rushing now, a little more than quarter a mile away before I growled mentally.

Help Leah, I said forcefully, wincing when the pain in my head lashed out at me unexpectedly. This was mild though, compared to the panic that had started to seep into my bones.

Protest rung out, I ignored it.

I was Alpha, and I wasn’t letting anyone else go down.

Dammit, help her, and Jared and Paul, we’ll be okay. I urged, too much of an order in my voice for my words to be comforting.

They stuttered from the command in my voice, unused to it since Sam was just a substitute, before they seemed to follow my words automatically.

Leah whimpered when they did, but her thoughts were too jumbled to understand.

I was being dragged, vampires gripping me and loading me onto some sort of stretcher type thing, with thick straps and binds that held me down.

My head was foggy and numb while the bloodsucker gagged my ability to access my muscles and make them work right.

I could see Sam now, sleeping forcedly as I was loaded, into a dark stuffy room with no space, but that wasn’t all.

Canto’s pack was here too.

Well, sort of, I guess the only one really here was Canto.

The bodies were all that remained of the others.

They had been killed. Jamie, Alex, Matt, Carla, Keith…all gone. Their wolf bodies were still, limp and just waiting for someone to throw them away.

The stench of death made my stomach churn, but nothing came up, and Canto stared at the bodies with barely any grief.

I couldn’t blame Violet, so for now, I blamed him.

He should’ve never hunted her in the first place.

I could barely glare at him, so I glowered as the silence was pierced by the sound of a truck- I think that’s what we were in- starting and barreling along the forest til it hit open road.

My mind seemed ready to work then, but my body didn’t respond to it, and I was forced into unconsciousness.

XxX

I don’t know how long we’ve been driving.

It feels like hours, but it’d probably been more like days.

Everything is completely hazy, and the pack has gone silent although Sam and I are still able to communicate. He doesn’t say much either way.

He just keeps thinking about Emily, probably to keep himself sane, and I refuse to volunteer what her face had looked like when I last saw it. One half hysterical, the other pained from an old injury that had long since been forgotten…

I didn’t want to talk to him that much though, to listen to him wonder if we were going to die and why we were here. My blocks were broken, at least to vampires, but he couldn’t read my thoughts, and so I obviously thought of Violet.

She was alive. I knew she was. I could feel it.

If she died that would change, but right now that was all that mattered.

Violet.

My memory was growing dim.

I could barely remember up to last week and I wondered if I was going to. All I knew was that someone took me. I couldn’t comprehend anything else.

There was something though, something important that I knew I didn’t want to let go of. I had to remember what it was.

I couldn’t forget this…thing. Although I had.

It was important, I knew it was.
I was possessive of it.
If I forgot my whole world would end.

But I still couldn’t remember.

Jacob.

We stopped.

We weren’t moving.

Everything was deathly silent inside, Sam and Canto afraid to even breathe while people outside were loud and eager. I caught a couple words.

No room, move on to the next camp.

We can take one.

That four, plus sixteen since last week and twelve the week before…

We have space.


More muffled voices were heard, some more demanding than others, all melodious and also deadly, before the door opened and the room was flooded with sunlight.

I was quick to take in out surroundings, to see deep jungle on every side, as well as what looked like a large concrete block, right in the middle.

My eyes were watery though, from the overwhelming stench of vampire pouring into the cab through the doors and I only barely saw Sam’s huge black body being released from its bind before it was dragged outside and onto a new one.

His mind was blocked again; his body was limp while they moved him, and I was suspended in the harness.

I whimpered – it was all I could do – before the doors were shut again and I was alone, with nothing but the dead, and a demon that didn’t deserve to be alive right now.

XxX

We weren’t driving anymore, but we were still in darkness.

Our truck had been exchanged for a boat, and I was so sick, from the smell of rotting corpses, and the rock of the water that I actually wished I had traded places with Sam, wherever he was.

The room was just as dark as the last one, but I could smell familiar, unclean water outside, meaning we were on a river.

XxX

We were unloaded and reloaded several times on our way to wherever we were going.

Canto’s crew were taken out of room, so I could breathe easier, and Canto put up a bit of a fight as he was taken too.

I was alone again.

Or so I thought.

A few hours after our current boat was relieved of Canto, another wolf was placed onboard. This one was more tightly bound than either of us, and I figured it was probably more dangerous than we were. Or stronger.

It was an off white, distractingly feminine and small, with jumpy eyes that were a deep grey color. She looked around wearily, and disgustedly, before her eyes fell on me.

They seemed surprised to see me, but also a little sad, like she knew that I didn’t deserve this, and that she thought that she did.

She’d be wrong though in that assumption of course.

I reached out, tentatively to the new comer, sensing her mind in the darkness and hoping not to scare her.

Hello, I thought quietly. She blinked.

Hi, she murmured, and her voice was as timid as mine, although I could feel that there was an authority hidden behind it.

Where are we? Do you know? I let slip, and stirred somewhat in the tight bonds, my jaw held down.

South America, I think. She said slightly louder.

I winced.

She was an alpha before, I could tell when she spoke up, and it set my teeth on edge before her words sunk in.

Panic and shock rushed through me, and I was sure she could tell because she cringed slightly too, her petite snow colored body shifting before she winced again and continued.

I heard one of the men that took me say we were going here, that there were…camps of some sort. Some kind of prison for wolves.

Her voice was hushed, but I heard venom when she spoke of the vampires that stole her.

I could see it in my mind. Everything that had happened to her.

She was from Portugal…her pack not the tradition wolves like Violet, or... I forced myself to think the name…Canto.

They were strengthened by the full moon, but also able to phase on command. It made them stronger than any other species and faster, and she was proud to be fastest.

She had been Alpha since last year when her brother died. She was one of the only four girls in a pack of thirteen. Her best friend’s name was Joana.

She had been taken in the middle of the night, with her mind gagged and body paralyzed just like mine.

How many mind readers did these people have?

The she-wolf snorted at that thought, and I felt her memories break off as she casually asked; Who are you, in a softer tone.

Jacob, Jacob Black, I said, who are you?

She laughed softly at my word choice and said Poppy.

Got a last name? I asked.

Nope.

And then we were moving again.