Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 28

Going on month three at camp Hell on Earth; things have quieted down considerably.

Poppy healed again. You don’t know how relieved it made me. It didn’t take as long as the last time but it also left a mark that couldn’t be healed with werewolf abilities.

Poppy was shut out.

She was so quiet now, it worried me, and I felt unbelievable guilt for what I made her do as a result of my own selfishness.

She didn’t talk to me or the guys anymore, but Violet seemed not to be an issue I was guessing, since they were in their rooms together.

I wanted to comfort her, to take away her pain but it’s not really a good time right now. The vampires have been switching out every now and again to feed, but Im starting to recognize faces and that scares me.

There were a few hundred vampires here, and a few thousand werewolves. The vampires were obviously more powerful, but I was often left to wonder why no one ever thought of escape.

I mean, I understood why nobody talked about it sure; there were eyes and ears everywhere. No one was safe from each other; there was no pack here, the wolves were all about themselves. If killing someone meant survival for you, your friend, or your family, then it was a small price to pay.

I was sad to see that I, along with the guys and the flowers (That’s the nickname Jeremy gave to the girls) felt the same exact way.

I mean, I had already driven both myself and Poppy to desperate measures…There was really no telling just how much farther I’d go.

Violet.

I can’t remember how long I’ve been here. It seems like a while but the days are starting to blur together now.

As far as I know, I have some kind of mind reading ability now.

I can’t remember if it was there before now, but it seems to stick with me, and sometimes it’s actually quite annoying…especially with Beck around. His thoughts on Poppy are actually getting worse and I guess you can blame it on being isolated for so long.

She never thinks of him that way, and I wonder if that’s because she’s thinking of Jacob...I never trespass in her head to find out.

Nor do I visit Jacob’s head very often; I don’t know what’d happen if I suddenly found out that they were...I don’t know what to call it. In love with each other, I guess. Although that seems a bit intense with the way Poppy is turning everyone away nowadays.

Poor girl, she’s been through some tough times let me tell you, but I think something to do with that vampire beating her again caused her to reach her breaking point…

My fantasy gets wild sometime with all the free time, and I know Im being…silly but honestly, what else am I to do? There’s nothing here. There’s nothing to do but think and wonder…to wonder about everything and anything.

Poppy and Jacob were the least of my problems and I really should’ve been focusing my energy on surviving…or escaping. Whichever came first, because this wasn’t like those concentration camps the Nazis made in the 1940s.

Where we were was secret. No one knew about where we were in the slightest; we’d just gone missing.

And also either way, there was no human army, because that’s what freed those in the camps, who could help us, or stand up to the vampires.

We had to rely on each other.

XxX

It was quieter tonight, which was surprising. You could usually hear some form of complaints, or moaning from those who had been hurt but it was almost dead silent. Poppy was lying on a small blanket next to mine, staring blankly up at the ceiling.

We had made up a game recently where we would list off all the things we wanted to do when we got out of here.

It was hard because I couldn’t remember much still from my past, but Poppy was gracious enough to explain whatever I didn’t know to me.

Silence had fallen upon us for the moment though, and I was close to sleep when Poppy’s shy whisper suddenly broke through the darkness.

“Farah can I ask you something,” she said, and her change in tone made me look at her curiously. “Of course,” I replied.

She paused for a second, her eyes staying fixated on the ceiling as if my answer didn’t matter as much as the cement. “Are you…I mean…are you in love with Jacob?” she asked timidly, finally turning her head towards me.

At this I just kind of froze, staring at her with this shocked look on my face that was all the conformation she needed.

“Never mind,” she said quietly, almost in a sigh, turning her back to me.

Something told me I didn’t want to know what her expression looked like.

I had never really thought about it before. Now it seemed so obvious though. That was the reason why Jacob gives me these…feelings. He knew me before. He called me Violet. That name seems so familiar, but so far away.

Maybe that was because it was mine. Maybe I did know him. Maybe something happened between us that I forgot and that’s why Jacob looks at me the way he does. Maybe Poppy knows it now too.

Jacob.

Poppy wasn’t racing today, as she hadn’t been.

In a way I wished I could make her. I was sick of not seeing her smile, or hearing her laugh. She was one of those people who, when their sad, they make everyone else feel sad too. They make you want to cry with them.

Beck, the poor guy was clearly at a loss here, as we all were. We didn’t know how to snap Poppy out of it.

I mean, we all were starting to enter the same state she was in. Violet felt bad for her, and I sensed she knew what was causing Poppy to act like this, but I couldn’t ask her because I couldn’t talk about Poppy while she was sitting next to us, and I couldn’t get Violet alone without raising suspicions.

I was stuck watching Poppy crumble away with the rest of our little group, and I think that was taking a toll on everyone.

The girls got called in and Poppy rose automatically, ambling away from us. Her expression wasn’t dead; it had a bit of emotion, but not the good kind. She wasn’t like Bella had been, deformed of life; she was just sad and broken, although that still wasn’t a good combination on a girl like her.

Me, Beck, Jeremy and De’Andre rose too, quickly sprinting into formation without casualties as the vampires guided us back to our rooms.

We were all a bit distracted today, and I knew why. Poppy wouldn’t even talk to Violet now. She was mute; she just sat there and stared at the ceiling. It was painful to watch, and killed us all in different ways.

De’Andre took the hardest hit here. He cared for her, probably more than me and Beck combined and it wouldn’t be long before he lost it.

We were all a little crazy from being shut out from civilization. Talking about it helped, but without Poppy, De’Andre had no one to talk to at all.

Jeremy was sad because, as I said, it was catching, and Beck was a hothead, but he had no one to argue with since no one would really talk without Poppy in the conversation.

They all had their own theories for why she didn’t speak up, and I didn’t let it bother me…until they confronted me about it.

We all filed to our bunks, me sharing with De’Andre and Jeremy with Beck. They all shared a look as I fell onto my bed and I knew they had something on their minds, but none spoke up. After a while of them staring, at each other and at me, I finally asked them.

“Alright guys what’s going on?” I heaved in a sigh.

“Do you have any idea?” Beck asked, seeming bitter. I was surprised at his words and sat up a little straighter. It seemed like he was trying to accuse me of something.

“No, that’s why I asked you,” I said, my voice taking on a defensive edge.

Jeremy, who had been sitting on the floor boredly, took a seat next to me. The beds were small so he barely fit with me already on. De’Andre flopped onto the bunk above mine; not wanting to deal with the drama and Beck remained on the floor.

“The girls are fighting,” Jeremy said, like it was obvious. I raised an eyebrow at this and he waited for me to speak.

“Impossible,” I finally muttered. Jeremy shrugged.

“Don’t give me that look, you know as well as I do that something had to go down for Poppy to act like this. And don’t say it was getting beat either cause’ I know the girl’s handled that before.”

I winced – knowing that never before had it been because of me she got hurt – and shook my head.

“The girls wouldn’t fight. They’re closer than sisters, and besides, what is there to fight about here?” I said quickly, as a reflex to expel the guilt from my mind.

Two pairs of eyes, one dark and almost black and the other light blue, stared at me, and questioned my sanity.

“I can think of one thing,” Beck muttered, blowing his black hair out of his eyes and staring at me with envy.

From that look, I had a pretty god idea that I knew what he was referring to.