Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 29

Trying not to let what the guys said get to me, was easier said than done.

I had two days to think about it after all, before everything got cleared up. It was easy to imagine what the guys had said was true than to blow it off, but it really didn’t help my sanity to think like them.

I could do nothing but hope that Violet and Poppy didn’t start to turn on each other in their section because of what had been going on with the three of us. And I also hoped that this didn’t turn into an Edward, Bella, me, love triangle.

It was only too easy to imagine who’d be me in that scenario, and I couldn’t have that on my conscience.

No one deserved what I’d been through.

XxX

“Apricots are awesome.”

“Blueberries are better.”

“Cranberries dominate.”

“What are you guys doing?” I asked the guys, after returning from a very much needed trip to the bathroom.

De’Andre, Beck and Jeremy were lounging around, looking about ready to commit suicide and randomly saying sentences.

“Ask Jeremy,” Beck muttered, staring at the ceiling the way Poppy has been doing. We were getting let in to see them tomorrow.

Jeremy rolled his eyes, “It’s this game I used to play on car rides with my folks; you’re supposed to say a sentence starting with the first letter of the alphabet and then continue on with the next players.”

“Fun,” I muttered, falling into bed while they played their pointless letters game, barely enthusiastic when someone couldn’t make a sentence or forgot a letter. And after all, what else did I have to do?

I missed Violet a lot today. I couldn’t get her out of my head no matter how much I tried, and for once the Poppy issue was far from my mind.

I needed to see her badly, as much as I usually did and then some. The imprinting pull was getting stronger, and taking a harder toll on me, and I didn’t know what it meant.

Maybe I really should’ve been paying more attention, but my thoughts were too much of a mess nowadays to really focus. I wondered if it was the first sign that I was going insane…

I woke up to the loud sound of the alarm, not remembering falling asleep before jerking out of bed, as was the routine. The guys were up, and the vamps rushed down the lines quickly, but much more boredly then they had when first arriving to check on any late wakes.

You think after three months I’d be used to the fear that ran through me as they got to our row, but every single time I just about lost it, only holding on by a fraction while my palms started sweating and my back and shoulders tensed.

I wasn’t sure what type of emotions would be on my face when this happened, but I was sure that it would be blank and empty.

There was no way that anyone was dumb enough to show fear while the vamps are eyeing you down. You never knew if they could get bored with just running and rough us up. It’s happened.

Not to me obviously, I was a model prisoner, but even in the good section there were those who lost it sometimes.

It never got them bumped down, but it did wound them, both physically and not to have the vamps boredly beat the crap out of them while they couldn’t resist.

I hated that part. The not fighting back. It bound me in ways you couldn’t imagine if you tried, and I was lucky that I hadn’t been completely bound yet. Like Poppy had been.

After thinking her name, the concern came back, Violet shoving to the back corners of my mind and my own helplessness doing the same.

I hoped she feels better today. I’d even settle for a mouth twitching smile at this point.

Everyone would.

XxX

Breakfast finished up fast. It was the usual gruel they gave us, which had nothing but protein to keep us alive, which no one knew why they bothered with. It tasted like cardboard, and they should’ve killed us off anyways, but maybe they were torturing us.

But of course, what would I know about vampire motives and reasons? And who ever said they had any.

We were back to our rooms, and then outside, not even having to really think about it as all of us gravitated towards the girls.

Poppy looked up first, which surprised me, but then shocked the hell outta me when I saw that there was a glimmer of light in her eyes.

It immediately brightened my day, almost as much as Violet’s smile at that little look did.

Anyone could tell she was doing better. She wasn’t completely cured of course, but she was paying attention and that was a good sign. She even had the decency to roll her eyes when Beck made er…comment. Damn him.

But after that she was unresponsive, only listening while everyone talked and never volunteering anything of her own.

That’s was until of course…

“Walk with me Jake?” Poppy asked out of nowhere, when no one noticed. They were in their own conversations. She was getting up herself, which left me no chance to say no. I stood hesitantly, but rising automatically to follow after her.

She seemed to skip a little when she walked, her eyes lighting up more and more as we got further away from everyone and I realized she was heading to the place where the races were starting.

At first I thought she wanted to participate, but then she completely avoided it altogether and sat near the far corner of the closest wall. I sat next to her seeing the guys hadn’t even noticed our retreat.

“I think Farah can read my mind,” were the first words out of her mouth when I sat down. It took me a little while to realize what she said because the words came so fast and so abruptly, once I did realize, it shocked the hell outta me.

“What?” I mumbled, unable to come up with anything more creative. She was fully resurrected and alive now, so she huffed and rolled her eyes the way Im used to with her short temper.

“Do I need to repeat it?” she asked leaning her head back in a relaxed way. I was so surprised at how quickly she snapped out of whatever was going on with her.

She had been a zombie for an undetermined amount of time, and now in the blink of an eye it was like nothing happened.

“What makes you even think that?” I said.

Of course I knew it was true, but Violet – Farah, couldn’t remember that she could do that type of stuff, and there was no way Poppy could’ve figured it out if she didn’t know.

“In the girls section...she’s been complaining about headaches, laughing when things are silent, and answering questions before I even ask them.” Poppy said, in an unrecognizable voice that didn’t sound like her own. I never thought I’d see the day where Poppy didn’t trust anyone.

But another thing that caught my attention was what Poppy said about the questions. She basically proved my theory about her talking to Violet in the girl’s rooms when I and the guys weren’t around and I felt oddly left out.

“Why are you telling me this,” I said, avoiding the fact that I was kept in the dark by both girls, and that it was almost as if Poppy didn’t trust me.

“Because,” she said slowly, as if she was testing the way the word tasted on her tongue. “You knew her before we came here; you always call her Violet by accident and look at her like she’s the only thing that matters in the world.” Poppy couldn’t help the slight wince that came with that statement and I felt bad for making her say it.

It was then that I decided my secrets weren’t worth keeping anymore. Poppy had proven herself to be the best friend I could ever have, and I was sure now that she could handle anything I was to tell her. She needed to know.

After all, if I expected her to trust me, I had to do the same.

So I told her.

I told Poppy everything, and I do mean everything.

From my days with Bella to the pain I’d felt for nearly two years. All the way up to Violet and I kissing on the cliffs and swimming at our spot.