Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 30

Poppy was dead silent as I finished telling her everything. Her eyes were far away as she processed everything, and I waited for her to speak while I sat beside her, my arm slung over her shoulders.

I could feel Beck’s eyes glaring holes in me at the moment, but I didn’t care because this talk with Poppy needed to happen.

It was unfair to her, to keep her in the dark, and also, it was a huge relief to have her in the know. I wasn’t the only one now. She knew everything.

“She’s marked,” Poppy whispered, her eyes gleaming, but not holding a trace of jealousy. “Of course she can read my mind, of course she can…” she muttered softly to herself, as if she was scolding herself for not knowing.

“It’s probably just the beginning of what she can do too,” she muttered. Her eyes were distant, and I could see her head racing with the possibilities, just like mine were.

I was remembering something…an afternoon at the Cullen’s maybe.

Violet was cleaning her room, taking down a few posters and things off the wall when she accidently knocked one down cause she couldn’t reach it and hadn’t asked for help. It toppled towards the ground but before the frame and glass could break or shatter, it stopped in midair. I stared in shock while it lifted itself up and landed in her outstretched hand.

She jumped off the stool she’d been on and set the picture poster in a pile she was collecting.

I was still staring.

“What?” she muttered, noticing my gaze for the first time; I shook my head and she rolled her eyes, “Yeah. I can move stuff with my mind, so what?” she said, putting her hands on her hips in a way that was almost a challenge. So I just shook my head and grinned faintly muttering, “I didn’t say anything,” under my breath.


I came back to reality like I was waking up from a dream. Poppy hadn’t noticed my pause as she pondered everything and I wondered if she was perhaps thinking the same thing I was.

The idea of escape was impossible to ignore with Violet starting to tap her ability.

“So what do we do now?” Poppy asked, breaking me out of my stupor. I could taste the freedom on my tongue, and I wanted it bad.

Not just for me, but for everyone. Beck, De’Andre, Jeremy, Poppy and most of all Violet. The ones who didn’t deserve to be here even less than I did.

I looked at the clock as I answered her. “Well, we only have about twenty minutes left in here; it isn’t a lot of time to get stuff done; our best chance would be for you to confront her about it alone, and then we all will. Then we can…figure some more things out.”

Poppy knew I meant escape. She could see it on my face, and most likely my eyes as I imagined what I would say to everyone after breaking free. Being captured had really made me appreciate everyone I had.

Poppy nodded, and I couldn’t see any trace of hesitation or uncertainty as she thought about what she had to do.

She got up, and I let her walk back to the group, sitting for a second before following after her. I didn’t exactly know why, but I felt like I should put a bit of distance between us.

She sat down beside Violet with a look of pure innocence on her face, which she was able to pull off only because it was the first emotion she had worn in an eternity.

Poppy.

No one spoke to us, and I didn’t need Violet’s abilities to know that they were all thinking the exact same thing.

Nothing new about the guys jumping to conclusions, and Violet trying to hide that she was too.

She was obviously feeling something. I could see it in the set of her jaw and the tension of her shoulders that she was suffering over watching me walk away with Jake.

And now I knew why.

She was his imprint, whether she knew it or not, and she did love him. The silence she had given when I had asked the question had already told me that though. She hadn’t needed to say it then, and she didn’t now.

Jake started talking with the guys like nothing happened, and it was impossible for them not to respond without starting an intervention, so for now, we all pretended nothing had ever happened, me included.

Beck took advantage of my talking again, and I tried not to get too irritated with him, although it was hard. My temper came back just as quickly as my emotions had.

I couldn’t entirely understand what had happened to me before. I was just sad, and couldn’t control it.

I wasn’t going to think about that now though. No need to jinx anything. Whatever had happened, I had snapped out of it, and I didn’t plan on going back.

The whistle shot fear through my veins, and as I was used to I jumped up to run into line. I never understood why our little group didn’t move closer to the line-up area, but I guessed it was because we were always in the same spot every time.

The second I was safe, with Farah or Violet beside me, my eyes sought out the guys. They were just making it back, and no one had gotten swiped or whipped.

After that one time with Jake’s shoulder, I hadn’t had to witness anyone else get hurt and for that I was extremely grateful. I didn’t have the stomach for it.

“Are you okay?” Violet asked me, a bit snippily after I ascertained that Jake was okay. I nodded, and smiled at her, although she wasn’t doing the same.

Looked like her good mood about me shaking the depression had gone just as quick as it’d come…

Violet turned away and I remembered what she could do, and what Jacob and I had agreed upon only a short while ago.

It didn’t seem like the best time for it now though, so I’d just have to wait until we were alone to get Violet to reveal what she could do.

Jacob.

For once, while going back to the room, I had hope.

Poppy knew everything now, and we had a game plan, even though it may have been a simple one. We had to get Violet to confess to having her powers, and then I could maybe tell her more about them.

It would aid our helplessness considerably to have Violet back to her former level of power.

Of course it would also make her vulnerable, but I wasn’t going to think about that or I might change my mind…about everything.

I had no idea what Violet had been like the first time she accessed her powers, and for all I know there could’ve been a repeat. What if she freaks out? She could get herself killed for that here.

The second I was back in my room, Beck started ranting and muttering about what he has to do to get a piece of tail around here. He was pissing me off because I knew he wanted me to hear.

He was fed up with my being around Poppy, and I got the impression that he was the reason the guys had confronted me the other day about her and Violet.

It didn’t matter though, because I wasn’t ‘cock blocking him’ as he was saying now, and Poppy hadn’t been dejected because of me.

She snapped out of it too fast for that to be the case and I’d guess that she was probably just home sick or something reasonable like that. She knocked it back pretty fast all things considered.

I didn’t listen to Beck and De’Andre and Jeremy didn’t either, but they were talking to each other, and I ignored them while I sat on my bunk.

I wished I knew what was going on with the girls right now. Was Poppy already confronting Violet? Was Violet denying her powers out of fear or some other trivial reason? Was my name being mentioned?

I was jolted out of my thoughts by a loud penetrating ringing. I hadn’t noticed I’d fallen asleep but it was lights out, and I could hear the other guys arising from their beds in the dark. Thin tattered blankets were being thrown to the side and heads were being bumped as someone sat up too abruptly.

The guys got up too, and I heard the sound of male voices started to rise against the screeching alarm, which is what it must have been.

It was different than the bell signaling for the wolves to come inside from the arena, and from all the others that marked the time.

There was a desperate urgency in this signal, and not a lot of time passed before vampires stormed the room, yelling commands in a variety of languages.

I only understood the English.

“GET UP!!! WAKE UP YOU STUPID WERE’S!! WE’RE MOVING OUT IN TEN!!!” The voice screamed and my stomach dropped when I realized the meaning.

We were leaving the camp.

Beck, De’Andre and Jeremy arose and their expressions were identical, filled with fear and shock, just like mine was.

XxX

It’s been four days, and we’re still on the move. Me and the guys stayed together at all costs, especially since Violet and Poppy were with the girls and we hadn’t seen either of them yet, although the girls and guys were mixed now.

Everyone in the camp was led outside, before we all were forced to watch the giant concrete block, in the middle of a jungle burn to the ground.

The chain link fences and barbed wire…the walls and dividers that once held us prisoner, were gone, and we were outside.

I never thought fresh air, real fresh air could be so amazing.

But then we were forced to move, to walk or run through the jungle as we headed to a new destination, the armed vampires once again a corral.

As far as I’ve heard, was that someone tried to escape. Whether they succeeded or not was a mystery, but we were moving anyways.

It didnt make a lot of sense, but like Im sure I’ve said before. I don’t understand vampires.