Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 31

The new place we were at was completely different from where we came from, and by different, I meant worse.

We were surrounded by fences, reaching up to 60 or something feet in the air and lined with wires that I could see randomly sparking in places they were just twisted around the metal.

Whoever had set this place up had been in a hurry.

No arrangements were given out about sleeping, so everyone was told to grab a tent and share. Everyone was worried about bunking with other people, but it wasn’t like anyone had much of a choice.

Beck and De’Andre quickly claimed a tent for us four guys, and started getting it together, while meanwhile I and Jeremy decided we had better search the camp for the girls.

We had no idea if we’d have another opportunity, and weren’t wasting any time.

We went separate ways, although I didn’t see the point as I had my imprint pull to lead me in the right direction and he didn’t.

It didn’t matter to me though, partly because I was way too desperate to get to Violet and didn’t have the time to explain, and partly because I wasn’t planning on explaining at all. Poppy was the only one who knew and who was gonna know.

And so my search began, made hard by the crowds of people and clustered tents, and even harder by the fact that the guards were barking at everyone who was wandering.

I had been following the pull for nearly twenty minutes and so far, there was no one who had seen Violet, and no sign of her.

I was getting frustrated and desperate as I weaved my way through the crowd, the pull stronger than ever, and my only guide.

I paused for a second, about to ask someone if they’d seen either girl when a small pale body slammed into me.

“Jake!!” Poppy laughed, relieved.

My eyes widened in shock as I looked down at her. “Poppy?” I whispered, not believing my eyes.

She smiled at me with a familiar mouth, and her brown eyes twinkled. Had her hair grown out in a week? I guess it would’ve since no one was around to cut it…but all in all I was glad to see that she was still the same girl.

Like the same girl too, she didn’t wait for another response and in the next second I was being dragged back.

“Where are the others,” Poppy said, holding onto my wrist tightly as her eyes scanned the crowd.

“Back in their tents,” I mumbled, unable to believe that I would find Poppy again...at least with the way I had been so unsure a moment ago.

I had honestly thought last time had been a final goodbye.

A question bubbled to my lips but I was sure she expected it. “Where is Violet?” I begged, and Poppy continued to move, taking me with her.

She didn’t answer though, and I saw why as soon as I approached a group of tents very close to the barbed wire.

Violet looked up at the sound of our approach, her gorgeous brown eyes widening in disbelief, and also recognition, unlike last time, which, despite all that had happened, made everything suddenly alright.

XxX

“This is Kyle, Jay, and Briana,” Poppy introduced me, to the group surrounding Violet. They all looked rabid, and dangerous, except the one girl obviously, who couldn’t have been older than I was, and held a bit of innocence in her face.

“Hi,” I mumbled unconcerned with anyone here except for Violet, who was currently leaning back against my knees on the ground. Her hair had grown out too, and her eyes were so filled with light that I thought I would die of happiness. Or at least, all that was allowed in this place.

De’Andre, Beck and Jeremy were a bit more open to the new friends Poppy and Violet made than I was which was understandable considering they didn’t have a Violet.

They were chattering away while Poppy sat beside me and Violet in front of me and I listened partially to the first, who had become more and more hushed as she got to the topic she wasn’t quite comfortable with.

I wasn’t sure what it was, but after a moment, Poppy suddenly sprung it on me without warning.

“So apparently not everyone here is an Alpha,” Poppy said casually, as if we weren’t in a camp somewhere in the amazon, and we were still civil enough to be discussing the weather.

I stared at her like she was crazy. “What are you talking about, of course they are. That’s why they separated us-” Poppy cut me off.

“If so, then why is my pack here,” she snapped, her temper flaring up at my denial. I felt my eyes widen in shock. “What?” I hissed in the silence.

She nodded eagerly.

“I saw them; two of them…Joana was there, and then my friend Jerome was there too... They were running together…I know it was them.”

Joana…Joana…why did that voice sound familiar?

Dim memories of the time Poppy and I had spent locked up in that truck together, strapped down, rang in my mind as I remembered. Joana had been Poppy’s best friend back home.

“Even if you’re right,” I said in a whisper, measuring my words carefully; everyone was listening to us now.

“Why would they just claim that there were Alphas here…and why keep us all human so we don’t fight then?” I said, and at that Poppy was kinda stumped.

“They probably just wanted to trick us,” the new girl, Briana whispered, and it was the first time I’d heard her speak.

“If they had a few alphas, there’d still be tension whether it was diluted by other pack mates or not…and keeping us human makes it so we can’t even tell the difference. Or...coordinate against the vamps.”

I was shocked. She said it like she knew. Like she already had this all figured out…like she had been waiting for someone to say something.

“You weren’t an alpha, were you?” I asked, keeping tabs on the way her dark eyes filled with grief.

“No…I wasn’t…my alpha was taken first. Then his mate next, although she had tried following them and my pack…thought it was coincidence…That they were stopping her from continuing…then they picked us off....” her voice trailed off and everyone sensed it had gotten to personal to share.

Jeremy, who had been sitting beside her, along with the one I think called Kyle, both put an arm around her shoulders to comfort her, and I saw how although they may not have known the girl, they felt her pain.

I felt it too surprisingly, remembering how Sam had suffered for me, and was god knows where right now. I couldn’t live myself if I came to find out they got to the rest of the guys.

“Well what are we gonna do about it?” Beck suddenly snapped, pissed off. Everyone in the group looked at him in shock.

“What are you talking about?” Poppy hissed, and he surprisingly didn’t soften at her tone. “Im talking about taking some god damn action. Im sick of this bullshit!”

He stood up, getting angrier. “Im done just sitting by and letting these vamps do whatever the hell they want. They think they can just keep us here? They think they can keep all of us here!?!”

He started pacing.

“They can’t. They’re wrong. We can take them all, right now.” He snarled, and I could see the violence starting to catch like wildfire, Jeremy, Kyle, and Jay all about ready top kick some major ass, but it was a suicide mission right now.

“Beck, calm down,” Poppy hissed grabbing a hold of him, and pulling him down when he paced near her so he was sitting beside Violet on the ground. She rubbed his tense shoulders in an attempt to calm him, and I quickly spoke before anyone protested.

“Guys, Beck’s right; we have to get out of here, but doing his way is only going to get us all killed.” I reasoned.

Violet suddenly spoke, and I had forgotten she was even here she was so silent.
“Yeah, for one thing, we can’t have these conversations out in the open anymore. It’s making me nervous and can draw attention. We’re lucky Beck didn’t start his own rebellion right then,”

Beck turned his head down and stared at the dirt in shame when he realized what he did, while Poppy continued to rub his shoulders and keep him quiet.

“And I think I know how I can help with that,” Violet whispered, but the whisper wasn’t out loud, it was in my head, and I could tell by the looks it was in everyone’s.

I caught Poppy’s eye and she smiled a huge grin that immediately made me do the same. She had gotten a something out of Violet. This was very good.

“Whoa,” Jay whispered, awe in his voice. Kyle, and just about everyone else nodded in agreement, while Beck leaned back against Poppy’s knees and everyone continued to watch each other in awe, our minds suddenly connected although we weren’t wolves.

It looked like this little…rebellion had suddenly turned in our favor.