Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 4

Two weeks went by. Violet closed off after that first day, and our relationship was complicated. Some days she’d yell at me, other days she wouldn’t talk to me at all, and others, she’d mutter, that’s the only way I could describe how she spoke.

But I didn’t talk much either, so that was okay, I guess. Even when she yelled I wouldn’t usually respond. Except for that first day, her anger never fazed me, and I never returned fire.

Her sadness however, got to me.

When she was sad, the whole life was drained from her, and she just lounged around doing nothing. It only happened twice, in the weeks, and the first time she snapped out of it, but I never knew what set her off, or if I was the one who did it.

She never turned me away though, even if that was the case, and each day while she busied herself working, cleaning the house or watching pointless TV, I floated along beside or next to or behind her, watching and helping and trying to make sense of the little things she did.

I was also constantly asking her questions, as much as I dared actually.

She had yet to tell me what she was, and I didn’t ask her for fear that she’d be offended. She wasn’t a vampire, and she wasn’t a shape-shifter, as Aro had called me.

I did manage to get a bit of information from her, despite the whole talking barrier she put up.

She was eighteen, same as me, turning nineteen soon, although I didn’t know when. She was close to Edward because her dad was friends with him and he had known her since she was born.

That part confused me, if they were such good friends, why suddenly disown her? It reminded me, in a weird way of how Bella left me so she could be with Edward; same situation. Of course she wasn’t in love with Edward, and he was in love with Bella obviously. And Violet was more to handle.

I first witnessed her abilities my third day visiting, she had been in her room, which was actually a part of the Cullen’s basement I hadn’t known existed. Apparently she had lived with them before, but she wasn’t telling me anything about that, nor did she plan too.

Well, anyways, back to her abilities, she was cleaning her room, taking down a few posters and things off the wall when she accidentally knocked one off the wall cause she could reach it and hadn’t asked for help.

It toppled towards the ground but before the frame and glass could break or shatter, it stopped in midair. I stared in shock while it lifted itself up and landed in her outstretched hand.

She jumped off the stool she’d been on and set the picture poster in a pile she was collecting. I was still staring.

“What?” she muttered, noticing my gaze for the first time; I shook my head and she rolled her eyes, “Yeah. I can move stuff with my mind, so what?” she said, putting her hands on her hips in a way that was almost a challenge. So I just shook my head and grinned faintly muttering, “I didn’t say anything,” under my breath.

It was watching TV today, something in Spanish that I didn’t understand, while she watched like she was bored, laying on the loveseat sideways while I sat on the couch. Her eyes were blank, although occasionally something would happen on screen to make emotions flash in them. It was a crime show or something, as far as I could tell.

It was nearly five, and I usually went home around seven, cause’ that’s when I was hungry, but I hadn’t eaten breakfast today because my dad wasn’t home. I hadn’t wanted to put up the act then, and now I was paying for it.

She looked up at me when my stomach growled. I could only grin sheepishly, her lips slipping into a pout. She didn’t like admitting weakness; that much was clear, so I was surprised to see sympathy in her eyes.

“Hungry?” she asked getting up. I looked at her, my brows scrunching in confusion and she waited. “Um, no I’m fine,” I lied, wondering what she was planning. She rolled her eyes at me, seeing through it and walking towards the stairs.

“Come on,” she said walking up. Not knowing what else to do I followed her and we walked to the kitchen. She fished something out of the fridge and I watched her start to cook for me.

She wasn’t quiet when she cooked, she was talking quietly to me about how I shouldn’t keep quiet when I was hungry, or something like it, and she said I’d never get anything done if I waited for it to happen.

And, although that wasn’t my reason for keeping quiet, I saw her point.

She made chicken, rice and some kind of salad. I took it when she offered me a plate, a similar one with half the amount of my serving rested on her own plate while she ate quietly.

I picked at it at first, but then I actually started eating after a minute. The first reason was because Violet was watching me, and to be polite.

The second was because the food was amazing, and it felt good to actually eat a large amount, since I’d practically been starving myself lately.

It was silent for a while after that, only instead of the tense or awkward silences of the past, it was comfortable.

We both relaxed her sitting on the counter so she was closer to my height while I leaned against it. Her knee brushed my arm and I resisted the urge to lean closer to her again, having tested my limits the first time earlier in the week.

Eventually, a question fell from my lips without my realizing it.

“Where did you learn to cook like that?” I asked, she still seemed relaxed when she answered. “I used to live with my family in Brazil, my sister taught me how before-”

And she just stopped. Her voice didn’t break, her expression didn’t change and there was no pain in her features.

She just stopped.

I avoided her eyes, looking at her would probably not help anything, and mumbled an “oh,” under my breath. She studied me critically and muttered “What, no twenty questions?” bitterly. I didn’t let her get to me, but tried to play peacemaker.

“No, I imagine you stopped talking for two possible reasons. Either you don’t want me to know, or you don’t want to talk about it.”

She sighed, “Look, I know I may seem really secretive and I know you’re only trying to help me, and it makes it easier when you ask me things and I answer you, but you have to understand I can’t answer everything all the time and I have my reasons for that.”

That was probably the longest speech I’d ever heard her make and I had to scramble for quite a long time for a response. “I understand, but is there anything you can tell me?” I asked.

She stared at me, a frown puckering on her lips. “I can’t give you a lot of details, but I can tell you this; the reason I am so afraid of werewolves, and the reason I can’t completely trust you, is because some of them, murdered my family.”

My mouth fell open a little, my head spinning with guilt for anything that had caused her pain. I couldn’t think of anything to say to her.

She nodded at my expression and hopped down off the counter. Using her foot to lift her jeans out of the way, I saw on her ankle was a tattoo.

Farah was written in elegant scrawl with a butterfly and swirly stars next to it. “My parents died first, because they were the most…experienced with their own gifts. But they also sacrificed themselves so my sister and I could escape, and then she did the same later.” Violet murmured while I stared.

“Your sister’s name was Farah?” I asked, a little rhetorically while Violet let her jeans fall back into place. She nodded once, frowning into space.

“Yes, it was,” and her eyes bore into mine once again making my thoughts jumble and my heartbeat speed up incredibly.

“There are people in this world, Jacob Black, that will do whatever it takes to make sure they always have the upper hand. If they feel threatened, they will do whatever they have to do...and kill anything that makes them feel at all.”

“Why are you a threat to the wolves? Because of what you can do?” I let slip, cursing mentally as I did.

Her eyes glazed over. She answered me anyways.

“Yes.”

I processed that slowly.

Werewolves were after her; they killed her family and her sister.

She knew I was different somehow, and that made me hopeful, but she was still afraid of me somewhat, and couldn’t completely trust me.

This ‘adventure’ as I first thought it to be, was turning more towards a horror show by the second.