Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 5

November gave way to December and Violet and I somehow grew closer.

She’d been here all for nearly a month, so I knew how to avoid her getting angry at me. I liked to think of her as my friend, although there were times when I longed for something more.

Like when she cooked for me because I stayed late, and the food was a thousand times better than Emily’s…

Or when she was lying on her bed and watching TV, instead of in the den and she beckoned me over so I could lie next to her.

The whole ‘no touching’ barrier we’d been living by when she first showed up was void, seeing as I could hardly keep my hands away from her, (as bad as that sounds.)
And it seemed like I was always doing whatever I could to touch her in some way, shape or form. Or be next to her, inhaling her hypnotic scent and feeling the warmth of her body beside mine…

I even managed to figure out what she was, because of that little obsession.

We were in the garage, like we were most days, and toying with the engines that hadn’t been showing much progress. I often wondered why she bothered, but I wouldn’t voice it.
She was leaning over one of the hoods and her shirt started riding up. Of course being the idiot I am I was staring at the skin it exposed of her stomach, so I also noticed the mark on her hip.

“What’s that?” I blurted, mentally cursing when she looked at me, her gaze traveled to where mine was as she frowned and pulled her shirt down.

“Another tattoo…?” I asked. She shook her head. “No, um, it’s a mark actually.” I raised an eyebrow. “A mark?”

She shrugged, sitting on the hood.

“Yeah, it’s…it’s why I’m like this,” she gestured to herself. Feeling the tension in the air, I had to lighten it.

“What, short?” I grinned, she glared at me playfully.

“No, the reason I have my powers.” She said rolling her eyes. Sensing the answer to more mysteries about her, I sat patiently to wait for her to explain.

“It’s a long story,” she warned, seeing how I was waiting. I rolled my eyes at her “I’ve got time.” And it was true; I always had time.

She sat down next to me, “How is it you’re a werewolf?” she asked bluntly, making me shrug. What did that have to do with her mark? “It’s a gene thing; you get it because of who your parent’s parents were.” I said and she nodded in encouragement. “Yeah, well, this is sort of the same; my parents were marked, so my sister and I were too. We were a…talented group, too talented actually, some people felt threatened. ”

“The werewolves,” I said, wide eyed and she nodded. “They wanted to use us as weapons or allies, but when we didn’t cooperate they thought we were too big a threat to be left alone, because vampires were starting to get the same idea.”

“And so they killed you off,” I mumbled to myself. She nodded, frowning.

“You got away though,” I said, looking sideways at her. I was almost comforted at the thought. She still didn’t smile though, but she wasn’t in a trance either, like she had been the last time I brought this up. “Barely,” she muttered.

I raised an eyebrow at her. She frowned deeper “I got bit,” she muttered at last, making my stomach drop. My breathing was shallow and I had to clear my throat twice before I could speak.

I knew enough about the actual werewolves to know what that meant. “If…you got bit…shouldn’t you be…” I choked up and she nodded. “Yeah, I’m a werewolf.”

My head spun again and I felt sick, sick to my stomach a thousand times worse than when Bella told me she was becoming a vampire, or when I saw her pregnant for the first time.
Hell, all the things Bella had put me through combined couldn’t compare to the horror of having Violet admit that she had been turned into the thing she feared and hated most....The thing that forced her into my life in the first place.

“Oh god,” I muttered, she seemed to see how her words were effecting me because suddenly she was right beside me, gripping my shoulders and looking at me like I’d lost my mind.

“Jacob? Jake relax, calm, look at me, I’m fine.” She said; I hadn’t realized I was shaking as my horror turned to anger that ran, hot and smoldering down my spine. “Right calm,” I repeated through gritted teeth. Shudders ripped down me continuously and I realized this was the closest I’d come to phasing in a long time.

I buried my face in her neck and let the sweet scent coming off her skin calm me. She cautiously wrapped her arms around my neck and held me there.

“I’m sorry,” Violet muttered, “I-I didn’t know you’d react like that, I shouldn’t have said anything.” I could practically feel the frown in her words.

I shook my head at her, “Not your fault, I shouldn’t have flipped out like that, but you were right to tell me. I…needed to know.” I was gritting my teeth again, ruining the lie but I couldn’t change that once the words were out.

It was then that I realized the position we were in and released her, pulling away while heat flushed through my face and I looked away awkwardly.

Two things Violet can make me do that Bella cannot; stutter and blush.

Why was that?

Violet was slowly finding her way into my heart, and maybe that was wrong, but I didn’t care. She was truly all I had to live for, and I couldn’t believe there’d ever been anything for me before her. I was…almost in love.

God what am I thinking?

The first time, and a long time after we met all she did was snap at and insult me. She just recently started talking to me, and allowing me to interact with her.

This couldn’t be what falling in love felt like, although I wasn’t sure. Bella hadn’t exactly left the right impression to be able to relate to Violet.

“You sure you’re alright?” Violet muttered, almost embarrassed herself, and snapping me out of my deep thoughts. I nodded mechanically, my face burning deeper as I realized how long I’d been zoning out.

“I’m fine.”

Hesitantly, I stood up and held a hand out to her. It was getting dark, already, and I felt the need to cut this meeting short.

“See you tomorrow…?” she hedged, sensing my edginess. I nodded again. “Yeah, bye.”
And I turned and walked home, trying very hard not to think.