Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 6

I sighed before making my way up the steps to Sam’s house. Violet was hunting, and Sam had called me in for a meeting. No getting out of it. She was on my mind the whole time, and I kept hoping she’d be okay.

I would’ve gone with her, but I was pretty sure she was only going so I didn’t feel bad about leaving her and because the full moon was tomorrow. I’d be with her then.

“Hey Jake,” several people greeted when I came in, I nodded my head to them and sat down on the couch next to Leah, who didn’t even look at me. Sam tapped his fingers against the counter and Emily put a hand over his.

The only ones missing were Quil and Paul and I wondered briefly what was going on. Then, my mind flashed back to Violet and I realized I could care less. Emily hesitantly walked over to me, and I saw a light smile on her face. “Hello Jacob, how are you?” she asked.

Everyone in the room turned to look at me and I shrugged; it felt weird talking to anyone but Violet. “Fine,” I mumbled. She nodded, satisfied with getting a response, but not completely. She sighed to herself before going back to her cooking. My gaze dropped to the floor before Quil and Paul came in, causing the slight tension in the air to break and Sam to scold them for being late.

It was easier to relax when the attention wasn’t on me. Sam started his speech about whatever he was talking about and I stared at him while pretending to pay attention. It was something about a new patrol schedule because there was a murder about 2 hours away that has all the personality of a vampire attack.

Violet ran through my head and I tried to persuade myself to calm down from my mini panic attack. She’d be fine, she could handle herself against a vampire; it was other wolves I had to worry about.

After the meeting, which I was still suffering over, Emily had everyone come and eat. I didn’t want to, but I couldn’t have them worrying about me, so I ate a small amount, prolonging it over time and thinking about what Violet would say, were she here right now, with every bite.
I was soon bored with that though, and said my goodbyes while everyone watched me with pity on their faces in a way that made me feel self-conscious.
Violet didn’t look at me like that.

Speaking of which, I ran to the Cullen’s, if it can still be called that, knowing it was the only way I’d be able to follow her scent out, but also secretly hoping that she’d masked it well enough that I couldn’t.

Unfortunately though, it was all too easy to follow her from the house. I was having an anxiety attack once again before sighing in relief when I started to lose her scent before it was gone completely.

I oddly enough didn’t feel any better, after my first relief as I made my way home, but that couldn’t be helped.

XxX

The phone rang, loud and shrill in the morning, and grumbling to me, I dragged my dead body out of bed, and hung it up. It was only eleven.

It didn’t matter though, because, whoever was really wanted to talk because they called again.

Twice.

I snatched the phone up after the third time, my voice gruff in the receiver, too tired for manners. “What?” I mumbled, rubbing my eyes. Any hope for sleeping again was gone.
“Jake?” Violet’s faint voice said on the other line. I jerked awake like she’d electrocuted me. “Vi?” I said in a rush, unable to even complete her name. “J-Jake, I kinda need some help,” she said, her voice both a whisper and a moan. “What happened,” I said stiffly, but she was breathing hard. “J-just…I…can-n’t…” she struggled to say. I swallowed loudly after I realized I was wasting what could be precious time.

“I’m coming don’t worry,” I said, and hung up before she could wear herself out further. My dad was asleep as far as I could tell, but I didn’t care. I left anyways, running through the forest as fast as two legs could take me.

I wasn’t sure I remembered how to phase anymore, and I wasn’t sure I even wanted to at the moment.

I could smell the blood the second I was close enough. It left a trail on the ground while I ran inside to Violet.

She was lying in the kitchen, curled loosely on herself with the phone a short distance from her fallen hand. Her eyes were glazed over when she saw me and I immediately got down to her level and cautiously picked her up.

I was never a doctor, but I knew enough that if I didn’t stop that bleeding that she’d die soon. I might already have been too late, but I wasn’t going to think like that.

There was blood leaking out of her shoulder, and I could see several large bruises on her stomach where something had hit her.

I set her down gingerly, running upstairs and grabbing a towel. Too stressed to think of anything fancy, I came back down and put as much pressure as I could on her wound without hurting her worse. Her vision went a little clearer with the discomfort and a few times she dug her nails into my skin from the pain. She never spoke though, and never made a sound.

When the blood stopped flowing, my stomach, where Violet was leaning against, was soaked.

Her shoulder healed itself once there was no more blood and she was able to focus completely. It was nearly one A.M. now, and I was feeling exhausted.

“What happened?” I asked her, lightly trailing my hands over her stomach. She shook her head though, sitting up somewhat while I helped.

“Vampire, I was up North and she just-” her voice broke off with a sigh.

“I didn’t know this one, she recognized my mark and my species and that was all; decided she’d get a lot of cred for my corpse. We fought though, and I won.” Nodding, in understanding, I helped her finish getting up.

She tried to walk but stumbled, and I caught her, eventually deciding to just forget it and pick her up. I carried her to her bed and laid her down.

I was afraid to leave her, and she must’ve sensed it because she tugged on my arm, so I was closer to her.

“Stay with me? Please?” she asked. I nodded, while also realizing what a mess my shirt was. I frowned, but Violet didn’t seem to care as she tugged me down to her level and tugged it off my body.

She scooted over and I realized a bit too late what she was getting at.

She wanted me to lie, in the bed…with her…not even caring that I wasn’t wearing a shirt…I blushed madly but she didn’t seem to notice.

Yawning hugely she patted the space beside her once again “C’mon Jake, don’t get your tail in a twist, we’re just sleeping.” She said.

Knowing hesitating any further would tip her off to just how uncomfortable I was, I climbed in the bed beside her.

She curled into my side immediately, while I tucked her into my arm. Her shoulder now perfectly healed and without even a scar, rested against the mattress while her other one was resting on my chest like the rest of her. Her tiny legs intertwined with mine and her soft hair fell across my bare skin.

I could feel every breath she took, and hear the steady beating of her heart by mine; it made my head spin.

“Night Jake,” she sighed to herself, while I held her slightly tighter against me.

“Night Vi,” I whispered, deciding I liked her nickname enough to use it now. A few seconds later and she was out, and a few minutes later, I was too, without a care for what would happen in the morning.