Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 7

I shifted in my sleep and groaned.

I was tired as I don’t know what but I was still awake, and I struggled to at least open my eyes while lying limply on the bed. I managed to, blinking a few times before a tiny form stirred beside me and made my eyes focus on it.

Violet was curled in on herself slightly, lying across my chest while my bloody t-shirt lay discarded on the floor somewhere out of sight. Heat rushed to my face as I realized where I was, and what position we were in, and as if to emphasize that, Violet curled closer.

Her hair was matted, tangled, and the blood from her cut yesterday had dried on her own shirt and her neck. I stroked her silky locks gently, looking at the ceiling and feeling her tiny body pressing into mine while I held her closer to me by my binding hold on her waist.
She was so little, and I’m ashamed to say that I loved the way her tiny form fit into my arms. It reminded me of the night in the tent with Bella before the newborn fight, but Violet wasn’t sleep talking, and she wasn’t kicking the hell outta me.

Also, she fit better, as odd as it sounds. It was like my arms were made just for her, and I could barely remember the way Bella had felt with her occupying my attention.

It was like she was moving in, oddly enough; filling the void Bella had left behind as she so often did when we were together. Why else would she have the effect to make me nothing more than a nervous schoolboy with a crush when she touched me?

She stirred again, sitting up slightly when her eyes blinked open and shifting her legs so she was no longer completely on top of me. I racked my brain for what to say, and finally managed to mutter “Morning,” into her hair while she sat up.

“Morning Jake, hungry?” she asked, in nearly a yawn. I shook my head, but at her disapproving look said “I should get home before my dad noticed I’ve been gone all night.” hoping he hadn’t already.

Violet still frowned, but I don’t know at what, and got up completely, she eyed her messed up shirt disgustedly, and got mine up off the floor before looking at my limp form on the bed.
“I’m washing this,” she muttered to herself in a bitter voice, waving to me over her shoulder. Sighing, I took it as my cue to leave and got up to run home.

I snuck in through my window and pretended to just wake up, coming out to eat breakfast in front of my dad. He looked at me, the same way he always did, in that my-son-is-depressed-and-delicate way of his and I ignored him easier than I would’ve thought possible.

He most likely knew I’d been gone, but was too worried about me to say anything. At least, that was what I could tell with the way he was tapping his thumbs against his chair, and frowning. I really did wish he would look at me like Violet does. She never thought I was crazy-at least if she did she didn’t show it.

With a sigh, I shoveled the last of my cereal in my mouth and rose from the table. Violet probably would be busy before we went out tonight, and I saw no reason to disturb her, or spend any more time with my dad.

I went to the cliffs again, staring down at the water that wasn’t completely calm, but rough either. It was more edgy as it lapped against the cliff edge, me sitting on one of the only open areas that weren’t fenced off.

The forest was so thick around here; I doubted any humans had found it yet. Kicking my feet out at the air, my hands gripped the dirt and I stared at the sky. It was cloudy, as usual, but a shimmer of sun peaked out and set the waves on fire. I smiled bleakly at the sight.

The hours dragged on longer than they usually did when I was in my thinking place, and I knew that was because I wanted to see Violet again.

It grew dark, and I went home as I always did and pretended to sleep while my dad dragged out his time in the living room before shutting everything off and helping himself to bed, his chair rolling past and stopping at my door before continuing on. It made me think that he knew, but I ignored it as I waited for twenty minutes before sneaking out, glad my room was on the first floor, but not that my house didnt have a second floor.

I ran to Violet's, and she was waiting, munching a granola bar and not smiling. Her eyes met mine and she swallowed down her snack. The moon hadn’t risen yet, but I wondered if her control was slipping.

“Ready to go?” she asked, and I nodded. She walked into the forest and I followed, while we edged towards the mountains farther and farther from civilization. I had never seen Violet as a wolf before, and was strangely excited.

“I think it’d be easier if you were a wolf too,” she said, reaching a clearing and snapping me out of my thoughts. “When I’m less rational you won’t seem like food as a wolf,” a flicker of amusement danced across her face and I grinned lightly in return, before doubt took over my face. “Gotcha, but…what if the pack hears me? I thought we were supposed to be hiding you.”

She didn’t seem fazed, and simply shrugged “I can block your thoughts from them, but you’ll be connected to me, in wolf form.” She said, as if asking for permission.
“Oh,” was all I could utter. She could do that?

“That okay?” she asked, and I nodded, trying to seem unconcerned. “Yep, cool.” I muttered, and a smile flitted across her face. “Wait a sec okay? I’m phasing beforehand for you.” She said, jogging back into the woods. My eyes traveled up to where the clouds swirled around the moon.

And then a huge pale silver wolf walked into the clearing.

I knew it was Violet obviously, but it was so hard to wrap my head around the thought of an 8ft wolf somehow fitting inside her tiny body. A bark made its way out of her throat, and she turned slightly while I disappeared into the trees to phase as well.

Tugging off my shirt and pants and tying them around my ankles, I realized exactly how long it’d been since I last changed-too long, it was almost unfamiliar to feel the heat flash down my spine, the brief reshaping of my body into wolf form.

But it was welcomed, especially when Violet’s thoughts reached mine.

They were still rational, and she was still in control, but I could feel her slipping ever so slightly as I walked out to greet her. She was shorter than me, but still close, when she leaned her head up, she met my eyes. I let me tongue roll out in a smile.

You don’t look half bad as a wolf, Y’know that? I said, and she rolled her eyes, but smiled too. Thanks, I think, she muttered back, before trotting off to the side. Following her loyally, my tail was wagging and my paws were digging into the earth while my long fur shifted in the wind. I hadn’t noticed before, I needed a haircut.

She ran for the joy of it for a few minutes before he logical thoughts drifted away completely and she ran for nothing. Running irrationally was probably the most primitive side of her I’d ever seen, but it too was mysterious and graceful. Her muscles and fur contracted well with each other and her paws hit the ground in a similar harmony to mine; hers a soft soprano, mine a deep alto.

Both were perfectly in tune, and both lasted until early morning when the hidden sunlight bled onto the earth, and the moonlight melted away into a cloudy morning.

Violet phased back before me, not seeming tired, but stronger as she walked out with her clothes intact, her hair a tangled confused mess that somehow made her look more beautiful, and her eyes slightly edgy.

She flashed me a smile before I hid and phased back to and went over to say goodbye before going home and collapsing around six a.m.