Status: InActive

Capture My Heart

Chapter 9

“What is this place?” I asked Violet, staring out at the hidden water.
She smiled at me, her eyes sparkling and I tore my gaze away to look at our surroundings better.

It was some kind of spring, the water only came up to my waist, which was also about to Violet’s shoulders. The sun was out today, lighting everything up, and making the water glisten. It wasn’t completely clear, so it must’ve been coming from another spring.

The forest around it was dense, and far from civilization. Violet had her feet in the water, her back laying against the rough stone leading to it and her hair tangled like twisted seaweed above her. Her sleeves were rolled up, revealing the smooth skin of her arms. She looked paler today, but it had nothing to do with the sudden sunlight. Her lips were pale red against her perfect creamy complexion.

Her eyes were closed, but I avoided looking at her for more than necessary, because I had no doubt she could tell when I was.

Sighing to myself, I thought of how we got here.

It had been a week since the incident, and my dad had been…disapproving. But he wouldn’t say anything to me, after I ran off; I think he guessed that I tried to kill myself or something along those lines. He didn’t want to send me over the edge at least, because as far as he knew, I hadn’t already gone there and been dragged back. Violet could sense my stress, and had brought me here to relax while the sun was out for a brief time.

“I don’t know I just found it on my way into town. I go here a lot at night when I can’t sleep.” She said quietly, her voice like melted sugar. It was more soothing than the babbling water could ever be and I found myself smiling at her.

It was hard to just sit here, listening to her talk though; everything in me longed to reach out and touch her; to just simply brush her hair back, or trace her lips, but I was sure either of those advances would be welcomed. Her rejecting me was not something I wanted to deal with; after all, I’d had enough of that to last a while.

With Bella’s of course, I had been in love with her. With Violet…I wasn’t sure, and there was no need to make a fool out of myself if I wasn’t.

“I can’t believe I never knew this was here,” I mumbled, banishing my earlier thoughts; Vi half smiled, before it was stolen away. “Yeah well, you spent a lot of time on that damn cliff, so I doubt you would,” she mumbled.

I sighed; the bitter Violet was back.

“I never tried to jump before then,” I reminded her; she shrugged, but didn’t say anything. I was about to touch her, but thought better of it. It was silent for a while, just the sound of water, bubbling from somewhere unseen while I let myself fall until I matched her position.
“I was overwhelmed, my dad…my dad said some stuff to me and it went to my head.” She shrugged again and I flipped over and propped myself up on my elbows.

I was pondering over what to say, when suddenly the distant sound of my name being called made both Violet and I tense up and her eyes to snap open while she sat up abruptly.

“Crap,” I groaned, my eyes darting back and forth before I was on my feet. Violet was two steps ahead of me though, pushing me back towards the trees while I stumbled along willingly. “What are you doing?” I hissed, but she ignored me, running back to the water. “Improvising,” she replied, before she sunk in completely.

I stared for a while, before finally running to where Quil and Embry were, toppling into them and sending us all crashing to the ground.

“Whoa, easy man,” Quil said, pushing me off. I had no idea what I looked like to them, but I must’ve been something to see because he had that oh-my-god-he-really-is-crazy look on his face.

Embry ignored that and we all got up. I realized I had to get them away from Violet’s spot, or else they might want to stay there for longer than necessary. Or worse, they might start asking thorough questions that I couldn’t answer.

“What’s up guys?” I asked, shifting once I was up from foot to foot. I kept my eyes on them, refusing to let them stray behind me. They were both looking at me funny, but tried to hide it.
“You okay Jake?” Embry asked, seeing my tense state and edginess. I shrugged as convincingly as I could, “I’m holding on,” I muttered, and then in a louder voice “Was there something you guys wanted?”

Quil and Embry started tugging me away, which I wasn’t grateful for.

I mean, I would’ve been, if it weren’t for the fact that we were leaving the light behind us and disappearing into the trees. Violet was where the light was and I was in the dark in this case; it wasn’t fair. I wanted to be with her. My light.

“We haven’t seen you in forever, you’re always around moping and such; although we were a little surprised you weren’t at the cliffs.” Quil said, and I knew that he knew something he shouldn’t. He was like an open book.

Embry continued the speech, “What are you doing out in the middle of the woods anyways?” he asked, and I cringed while following them. “Just thinking; it’s quieter out here.”

They couldn’t argue with that, so they silently agreed and we all walked the long time span out of the woods before reaching the one highway in Forks. It was an exhausting trek, especially with my once best friends chattering away at me and acting as if nothing had changed when clearly, it had.

Both with me and with them, because they were treating me no different than Billy had; like I was a child. Of course that was my own fault for acting so morbid, but even so.

Sighing to myself, I tried to perk up, but it was difficult, even though I knew I was making things harder on myself by being so miserable.

We drove home where they talked pointlessly to me, and I responded grudgingly. They had cut my time with Violet short, and I was aching to see her again.

Later, I found out that my dad had asked them to talk to me, but it wasn’t until we were sitting at Emily’s and Paul let it slip about ‘babysitting the alpha.’

Everyone in the room either went silent after that, or outright just threw or yelled things at him while I jumped from my seat.

I got pissed, and surprised everyone including myself, by actually punching and breaking Emily’s coffee table. No one really protested what I did though, even when I cursed out everyone in the room and scared Claire. They all felt too guilty.

I stalked out of there, shaking again, before running and charging right to the Cullen’s before confessing it all, everything I was feeling, to Violet.

She was the only one who understood anymore.

She just let me get everything off my chest, while I yelled at no one in particular, and fought back the realization that they were only trying to help when she pointed it out.

Sighing, I fell down next to her; knowing arguing would be pointless, because obviously she was right. Part of me was still holding grudges though, and I was sure she knew that.

She knew me inside and out.