Status: Completed

To This Day I'm Asking Why I Think About You

Chapter thirty

Life had altered significantly since the events towards the end of high school.

Trunks and I were going as strong as ever. We hadn’t had a single fight, and I hadn’t faced any of the difficulties I had when I was dating Goten. I had honestly never felt this way about anyone before, yet at the same time I felt the same around Trunks as I always had.

I sometimes felt guilty that I let so much time pass that Trunks and I could have spent that time with him. Trunks always informed me not to worry though, that it made us just appreciate each other more. I always had to smile, he had a point.

There had been no dramas with the Briefs and our living arrangements, in fact it worked quite well.

During senior year, I had lost my job at my smoothie hut job. The manager sacked me due to refusing to unbutton my top. Trunks was present and witnessed the whole drama and agreed to lend me his legal team free of charge. Having the legal team that represents the richest organisation in the world on my side suing due to unfair dismissal? You bet your ass the smoothie hut settled out of court and gave me quite a hefty pay out.

Trunks also managed to get me a job at Capsule Corp. I decided to take a gap year between high school and tertiary education and decided to work full time. The pay was quite good, and Dr. Briefs and Mrs Briefs refused to let me pay for any rent, utilities or food. After the payout and a good pay packet each week, I was on my way to saving for something big.

Even after losing my best friend/ex boyfriend and my own mother, life had improved dramatically.

***

I was sitting in Trunks’ lounge room, playing a video game. He was spending some quality time with his grand father right now, doing something science related. Trunks of course explained it all to me, but it went over my head.

I was interrupted shooting in the game as I heard the front door of Trunks’ small backhouse being knocked on.

Pausing the game, I got up expecting it to be Bulma wanting something, or Bulla asking to play.

I was surprised however, when I saw Goten standing there.

“Hey.” I said, quite shocked.

“Hey. Is Trunks here too? I don’t want him to get the wrong idea or anything…” Goten said, looking behind me to see if Trunks was there.

“He isn’t, but he’s pretty understanding, what’s up?” I asked, relaxing my stance and comfortably crossing my arms.

“Well I kind of wanted to catch the both of you at the same time. When will Trunks be back? I’ll drop by later…” Goten mumbled.

“Well, you see, I don’t know. I doubt he’ll be too much longer, why don’t you come in and play some video games with me? Either way Trunks won’t care but if he were to, seeing us playing video games will mean he won’t jump to conclusions.” I shrugged.

***

“What! How did you do that? That’s an illegal move. WHAT THE HELL? You don’t even own a video games console! Your mum said they’re evil and pointless and too expensive. How did you…I hate you.” I glared at Goten, throwing my controller down and pouting at him.

“Hey you should have realised by now that luck seems to be on my side whilst video gaming it up. It’s your own fault.” Goten grinned back at me.

“Hey guys.” Trunks said, speaking up from the doorway.

I looked up at him, not even realising he had walked in. He had thrown his coat away and was comfortably leaning on the door staring at Goten and it, I looked as if he had been there for a while.

“Look man I’m really sorry. I came here to see you both, and Bree invited me in to wait for you, and we kind of got distracted and didn’t forget how awkward things are and went back to the olden days and-“ Goten babbled on.

“Goten, it’s okay. I’d know if something was up, and clearly nothing was. Really, don’t sweat it.” Trunks laughed.

“Wow, thanks man. I know back in the olden days when I was in your position if you did the same to me with Bree I would have jumped to conclusions…” Goten admitted.

“But he isn’t.” I stated, adding a smile at the end to try and show I wasn’t being too heavy hearted, but it didn’t work and I added awkwardness and tension to the conversation.

“So you must have a reason to be here then. What is it, anyway?” Trunks asked curiously.

“Well I can start with the whole ‘I’m happy for you guys, you make a great couple speech’ blah blah blah, or I can jump straight to the other reason now I’ve said that, considering the whole world has said those words to you.” Goten stated.

“Thanks Goten, even though you sped up your words it really means a lot to me, and I’m sure Trunks as well.” I said sincerely and looked at Trunks, who gave a nod and a smile back.

“Great, now that’s out of the way let’s move on with our lives. I’ll start with me, I now have a new girlfriend.” Goten grinned.

“Is she hot?” Was the first thing I was able to say, before Trunks could even rush up to his (ex?) best friend and engulf him into a congratulatory man hug.

“No, I think using ‘hot’ as a word for her would be undermining her. She’s more pretty looking, but she’s also beautiful.” Goten said, a smile coming to his face as he was explaining his girlfriend.

“What are you waiting for? You’re going to go to her house right this instant, pick her up and bring her over here. As your best friends, we need to give her our approval first. Our best friend deserves nothing but the best.” Trunks grinned.

“You really mean that?” Goten asked Trunks and I, an even wider smile coming across his face.

“Sure we do. So hurry up, we want to meet her.” I said to Goten, pushing him out the door.

“Okay! Okay! I’ll be back in about forty five.” Goten said, before rushing off into the opposite direction.

I flopped onto the couch, picking up my remote and choosing to play single player.

“Are you alright? You seem kind of…well I can’t even explain it.” Trunks asked.

“Huh? Oh I’m fine. It just feels a little weird, that’s all. Goten never said such nice things about me, or matured for me. After all the time we were together, it makes me feel kind of worthless, as in not worth it.” I stated, giving a small smile at the end.

Trunks sighed, took the controller off me and sat down next to me as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

“You were best friends for him a long time before that, and he didn’t change then either. But I did. I was such a brat before I met you. Then I met you and calmed down. I became nicer. I became a better person because I had somebody I loved. You. It shows that you and Goten weren’t meant to be, and we already know that. But don’t you dare think you were worthless, because you changed me for the better. Let’s just be happy that Goten has found someone to mean to him what you mean to me. Because you made the world for me when you started loving me back, because you are my world.” Trunks lectured.

I smiled and kissed him. He was right. I was now content with the new information I learned and happy for Goten.

***

I had gotten up to go to the kitchenette to make some more popcorn and get some colas for everybody. As I was waiting for the popcorn to be ready I casually watched the scene in front of me.

Trinity, Goten’s new girlfriend was sitting on his lap, with a controller in front of her. Goten had his arms around her waist and was holding the controller, unsuccessfully playing the game against Trunks who was winning.

Trinity was a nice girl. She had almond shaped brown eyes, and light brown hair to match. Goten was right, ‘hot’ did her injustice she was absolutely beautiful. But I didn’t feel insecure or weird at all, rather happy for my friend for scoring such a girl. I think the pep talk Trunks gave me got rid of all negative thoughts towards the situation.

I was thirteen when I first met Trunks and Goten, and instantly befriended them. I saw them a lot, and it wasn’t long until I became best friends with them. They had known each other for a long time before that, but let their twosome become a threesome.

I could tell a similar thing was about to happen. Although we had comfortably been a threesome for a long time, Trunks and I would be seeing a lot of Trinity and Goten from now on, and three would become four.

After all the drama and changes in the last few months, this one would be a welcoming one. I’d miss what Goten, Trunks and I had, but it was clear that things would never go back to what they were. I was also just as excited for a new group that involved Trinity.

Trunks noticed me staring at the group and gave me a concerned look as he quickly got up, not bothering that Goten and Trinity would easily beat him now he was gone.

“Are you okay babe?” He asked sounding concerned, wrapping an arm around me.

“Never been better.” I honestly replied, giving into his hug and burying my head into his chest affectionately as he kissed the top of my head.

I could now move on with my life, with Trunks by the side, the boy who was always meant to be there.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is the end! haha. When I wrote it I was unhappy with how it turned out, but after rereading it and letting a few weeks pass, I'm quite happy with it. If anyone reads this, even a long time after I've finished this story...comment? Haha I want at least one comment for each story, sorry to sound needy...