Status: Finished

Recovering from amnesia.

waking up

~Alice’s pov~
My eyes fluttered open to see a face above me. “Alice, you’re awake!” the woman said. I blinked, wondering why my mother said such a strange thing. “Of course I’m awake, don’t I wake up every day mother.” I said. Her eyes turned sad and her face into a frown. As I sat up in the white bed I was in and wondered what I was doing in a hospital I noticed some other people in the room. A girl I recognized as my older sister and a man I recognized as my stepfather, but also two people I did not recognize. The boy smiled brightly at me. “You finally woke up.” he said. I frowned. “Who are you?” I asked. His smile vanished from his face. “You do not recognize me?” he asked, his voice sounded broken. “I’m sorry, should I? You seem like you are four years older than me, I normally do not hang out with people older than me.” I said. “Alice, what age are you?” my mother asked. “What a silly question, I am fifteen of course.” I said. “Alice, you’re not fifteen, you’re nineteen.” she told me. “What? Don’t be silly.” I told my mother. My mother shook her head and took my hand, pulling me out of bed and standing me in front of a mirror. Staring back at me was a girl slightly more mature than me, seemingly full grown. Only when I looked into the brown eyes that stared back at me did I realize this was me. I took a piece of my hair in my hands. “My hair?! What happened to my hair?!”I asked, looking at the purple and black I now owned. “You dyed it.” my mother said. “I would never dye it such a color.” I said. “Like mother said, you’re not fifteen anymore, your taste has changed Alice.” my sister now said. “But I do not know those two people and I’m a freshman not a junior!” I said. The boy had such sad eyes, while the girl seemed sad but hid it well. “You sure you do not remember Damien and Genevieve?” my sister asked concerned. “No, I don’t know these people.” I said.
Then the doctor came in. “Hello Alice, I see you finally woke up.” he said. “Of course I woke up, don’t I every day.” I said confused. “I’m afraid you’ve been in a coma for about two months now Alice.” he said. “So I am fifteen!” I said. “Oh no darling, you are in fact nineteen.” he said. “I was afraid this would happen. It seems like she has some memory loss.” he said to my mother, who nodded as an answer. “Alice, can you tell me what year it is?” he asked. “2008 of course.” I said. “And what is the last thing you remember?” he asked then as he wrote my previous answer down. “Uhm, saying goodbye to Myra and wishing her a nice weekend.” I said, thinking back. After some more questions he spoke again to my mother. “There is a chance that she’ll get her memories back when he visits familiar places, since scent and view can do much for the memory. So I suggest you take her to places she loves to go to, but let her rest when she gets a headache.” he said, “But this will have to wait till next week, because we’d like to keep her under observation for one more week to see if she’ll be okay.” he went on.

It was now a week later as I walked out of the hospital with my mother, a bit frustrated. That boy came back every day and asked if I remembered him, while I clearly didn’t. “Come on sweetie, you can’t blame Damien. He just wants his girlfriend back, that’s all.” my mother said. “Yeah, but that girlfriend isn’t here and he just doesn’t realize it!” I answered, “Like it isn’t hard enough having to revive every single memory without him nagging if I remember him.” I continued as I stepped in the car. My mother sighed, not knowing what to do. “Listen mom, everything in my mind is foggy. I still can’t believe I am nineteen, since my mind believes I’m fifteen. Let alone believing the fact that I had or have a boyfriend.” I said. “I guess that’s true.” she said starting the car and driving home.
I lay down on my bed looking through the photos on the laptop I apparently owned. I saw myself with a lot of people I didn’t know. Girls and boys alike, which was strange to me since I never seemed to get along with boys at all. Had I really changed that much over two years, was what I wondered when, apparently, my phone went off. It was a text message from one Darren. ‘Hey, heard you were home again. Sucks you have amnesia though. By now you probably think, who is this guy? But we are pretty good friends, or at least we were before your coma… Hope you get your memory back soon.’ I frowned at the text, I hated the fact that I couldn’t remember four years of my life and all these friends I had made in those years. I put my phone away and went back to the pictures. The more recent pictures I saw, the more they were of that boy Damien and me. I felt sorry for Damien that I couldn’t remember anything about our relationship. I looked at the time and decided to go to sleep for now, since my sister had said she would take me to some place tomorrow to help me remember.