Status: Finished

Recovering from amnesia.

crash and burn

~Alice’s pov~
It’s been almost four months since I’ve awoken from my coma. It is almost my twentieth birthday. I have regained a lot of memories by now, which pleased the doctor. My progress was beyond imagination according to him. By now I remember little pieces from my relationship with Damien, which resulted in us getting back together. I knew I was not the same as before, the feelings I remembered were different from the ones I felt now. Maybe it was like my sister had said, the fact that they all came tumbling down so fast without getting time to get over past things, or maybe I just was another person. I sat against Damien as I looked at the friends around me that I knew a bit better since I got more and more memories back. But the most vivid memories were still those from Adam and how much I had loved him and hated the fact that Lyra would always flirt with him. I laced my fingers with Damien’s which made him smile at me. “I love you.” is what he told me. This made me stiffen, I knew that before the accident I had told him I loved him, but I don’t know if I feel the same anymore. So instead I just hugged him and kissed him. I knew I felt a big attraction to him, but I doubted it was love. At least not in the way I loved Adam, but how could I do this to Damien. How could I leave him when he had been there for me all this time, while Adam had disappeared for two years. I looked at Adam as Lyra was hitting on him. I felt something build up inside me. Jealousy? Anger? I didn’t know, all I knew was that I wanted Lyra to stay away from him.

~Two weeks later(still Alice’s pov)~
“I think it’s time we talk Alice.” Damien said, frustrated. “Why?” I asked, clueless. “Oh, I don’t know. How about why you’ve been treating me as a friend more than a boyfriend. Or the fact that you don’t even say that you love me, while you had no problem with it before.” he said, again frustrated. I turned away from him and looked out the window. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said. “Yes you do and I think we both know why.” he said. “Oh really? Enlighten me!” I said, annoyed. “Adam.” was his short but stern answer. “What about Adam?” I asked. “You love him, don’t you?” Damien asked, sad. My heart broke at his face and my eyes watered. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Damien.” I cried. I took his face in my hands and kissed him. “I love you Alice, but neither of us is happy like this.” he said to me, looking me straight in the eyes. I looked as his beautiful blue eyes teared up as well. “Damien, oh Damien.” I said, my voice wavering. He sat back on my bed and I sat on his lap. “I do love you Damien.” I told him, holding his head in my hands and leaning mine against his. “I really do, but Adam is just…” I said, not finishing. “Please Alice, it has been enough.” he said, begging me.
We just sat there, me on his lap and both of us crying and holding on to each other. Afraid to let go. “It has been enough, hasn’t it.” I whispered after some time, knowing I’ve been hurting him lately. Our eyes locked as we searched for the love we once felt. “I guess you really have changed since the accident.” he told me. I nodded, knowing it was true. I stood up from his lap and walked over to the window. “I don’t know how or what, but I have changed.” I said. “And with that our feelings.” Damien said as he put his arms around my waist. I leaned back against that comforting warmth once more. “Thank you Damien.” I said. He hid his face in my neck, his warm breath blowing across the bare skin there. “You’ve given me more than I could’ve ever wanted. But I guess we just aren’t meant to be.” I said. A part of me wished we were and I’m sure it was the same for him, but we both knew it just wasn’t. “Just promise me that if he ever hurts you or makes you unhappy that you’ll tell me.” he said, raising his head only a little, before planting a few small kisses in my neck. “I promise.” I said as I turned around in his arms and kissed him one last time. Our tears making the kiss salty, but it was still the same sweet love I felt before. “Make sure you find someone who deserves you Damien.” I said, looking in his beautiful clear sea water colored eyes. He nodded at me. “Come on, let’s go to the garden. You have someone to talk to.” he said, holding out his hand. I smiled through the tears. Today were a lots of last times for us. During our ride to the garden we held hands. Savoring these last few moments of closeness, knowing that after today nothing would be the same.

As we entered the garden we saw Adam, Darren, Lyra, Genevieve and lots of others sitting together. We walked over, letting our hands fall apart before walking closer to the group. “Hello everyone.” I said, my voice soft and slightly sad. “Alice, your eyes are all red and puffy. What happened?” Genevieve asked. I smiled sadly and sat down next to her as Damien sat opposite of the circle. “We have some news.” I said, looking at Damien for support. “What is it?” people asked curious. “Well, don’t freak out because nothing is going to change because of this. But Alice and I decided to split.” Damien said. I turned my head to the side, away from everyone’s looks. “But why? You two are so cute. You’re made for each other.” Lyra said. “No they’re not. Every idiot could see it.” Genevieve said, “Don’t you agree it is quite hard to be meant for each other when your heart already loves another so much more?” Genevieve scolded Lyra even further. Lyra looked away. “So, who’s heart is it that wavers?” Darren dared to ask. Damien did not speak and neither did I for a while. “It is mine that wavers Darren.” I said, my voice almost breaking. I closed my eyes to stop the tears from falling. I felt a pair of arms wrap around me, I opened my eyes to see Genevieve comforting me. “It’s okay Alice. It’ll be okay.” she said. I smiled weakly, she knew why we broke up. I wondered who else figured it out. By the looks of it the only ones who didn’t were Lyra and Darren. It seemed that even Adam knew. And when our eyes crossed I realized that all this time, even without my memories, my heart had been waiting for him. I looked at Damien who smiled at me weakly. Without realizing it Adam had crossed the distance between us and now sat beside me, his hand found mine and he held it tight. Lacing our fingers together, I finally felt like I was where I was supposed to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, this is it, the last chapter of my four-chapter story Recovering from amnesia. I hope you guys enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
There might be some mistakes in spelling and such, if you find them please tell me because i'd love to know.
Also I'd love to know your opinion about this story.
I put a lot of effort in this story because I knew how I wanted it to end, but to get there I wanted to involve a painful scene between Alice and Damien.
I hope the emotion in that scene came through to you guys.