All Hands on Deck

All Hands On Deck: Chapter Three

We arrived in Deck’s room, a huge 4-walled space with a 52‘’ plasma screen TV hanging on the wall to my right, a big king-sized bed with royal blue cotton silk bed sheets and black pillows on the wall to my left, a walk in closet beside it and a dresser on the far wall. A light brown desk was beside the plasma screen and two white love seats facing diagonally towards it.
Deck walked to his bed and sat down on the edge of it. He smiled at me and invitingly patted the spot next to him.
I sat down beside him, and close enough in order to make my skin tingle. “It’s roasting hot in here.” I told him while semi-fanning myself.
“I know.” he replied. “In this room and Wes’ room, its freezing during the winter and hot in the summer. We’re gunna see what’s wrong with it and get it fixed.”
“Wes? Is that your cousin’s name?”
Deck nodded. “Yup.So, uh... do you have the notebook?”
I placed the notebook in his lap and he opened it up to the page we wrote on just a few minutes ago. “What should we film now?” he mumbled.
I moved over a little to look at the notebook. “Maybe the laptop?” I suggested.
Deck closed the notebook and set it down on the nightstand beside the bed. When he pushed himself off the bed, we walked over to the desk and pulled a red video camera from a drawer underneath it. He threw it on the bed, the went back over to the desk and picked up a white Macbook.
“Lucky bastard.” I said with my mouth hanging wide open. If only my dad was an author and a scientist.
Deck grinned, then sat back down beside me with the Macbook in his lap. When he opened it and turned it on, a picture of him and his dad appeared as the background. His eyes and facial structure were the same as Decks, but his hair was an auburn colour. He probably has his mom’s hair colour, but I can see where he gets his good looks from.
“Wow.” I sighed. “You’re dad was one good looking guy.”
Deck smiled, but continued to look at the picture. “Yeah, he was.” His gaze switched from the laptop screen to me. “Funny, too.”
“Yeah, he looks like a funny guy.” Deck gave me a confused glare. “You know how some people look like how they are, and usually they are how-” he looked even more confused. “Never mind.”
Deck gave a short laugh, then turned his head back towards the laptop. “It’s okay, I get it.” You could of told me that before I started sounding like an idiot.
I turned on the camera and pointed it towards Deck. “‘K, do something.”
“Like what?”
“I dunno... go on your favourite website or something. Or watch a video on Youtube.”
Deck shrugged and began typing the website name into the address bar. “Okay.” When the website finally popped up, Deck clicked into his favourites and scrolled down to find Songs in Real Life 2, and then that’s when I started to film.
“And... action.”I raised a finger, and pointed toward him on “action”.
Deck smiled while watching the screen, then turned towards the camera. “Here I am, watching the funniest video on Youtube right now...” he turned the entire laptop in my direction. “Songs in Real Life 2.” It was at the part where some big guy was about to open the lid on a pot but another girl smacked his hand because it was “hot and dangerous" (Ke$ha lyrics). I pointed the camera toward the screen, then back towards Deck. “Best ever.” he mouthed. He put the laptop back on his lap and opened a new tab for Facebook. “And now I am on Facebook. Which, I can’t lie, is pretty damn boring to me now. I honestly don’t know why I’m on it right now.”
I couldn’t help but giggle. Damn.But like I said, I couldn’t help it. They way he’s talking right now is so adorable and cute and... ugh. Why must this guy be so attractive?
“Okay, I’m leaving now. Time for Tumblr.” I gasped.
“You have Tumblr?” My eyes were wide. Guys like Deck usually check Tumblr out for about 5 minutes, then leave because it’s “too confusing”, so I’m pretty surprised.
“Hell yeah, baby!” I smiled at the look in his eyes because they basically screamed “I love Tumblr!” I’m trying my best not to like they guy, but I do appreciate him for loving that awesome site. “ ‘That awkward moment when someone starts singing a song you were just singing in your head.’” he read out loud, then began laughing to himself. He turned the laptop back towards the camera, showing a meme underneath the post saying “WE ARE MEANT TO BE” and turned it back towards him while keeping the smile on his face. “That’s why Tumblr’s the best. So there it is. My lovely laptop.”
I stopped the recording and put the camera down on his bed. “What else should we film? You with your guitar?”
Deck got up with the Mackbook in his hands and walked it back over to the desk. “Sure, but I left it downstairs. I’ll be right back.” he walked out of the room, and as soon as he was out a flopped down on the bed, my hair almost dangling off the other side. A part of me loves being here. A HUGE part. It’s the part that loves being around Deck and being able to meet such an awesome person. The other part is punching that part in the face and telling it that it’s fucking NUTS for actually liking this guy. Honestly, my parts are pissing me off. Seriously though, I want to have a concrete feeling about him, but it’s hard when you’re trying your best to not get close to a guy because you’re scared of getting hurt again. Deck doesn’t seem like the type of guy to hurt a girl (I wouldn’t really know though, I barely know him), but Trina’s got ways, believe me.
“My bed comfortable enough?” Deck interrupted my “Parts Battle” and scared the crap outta me. I shot up to see him holding his acoustic while standing in the doorframe, giving me a friendly smile but flirty eyes.
“Sorry, I was just... thinking.”
Deck walked in a little more. “About?”
“Ya know...things.”
“Like?”
“Can I keep my thoughts to myself please?” I didn’t mean for that to come out sounding so harsh, but it did and I can’t take it back.
“Sorry, just curious.” he sat back down beside me and placed the camouflaged-coloured guitar strap over his shoulders and pulled the brown and gold pick out from underneath the strings on the first fret. Yes I know about frets, I have a guitar-playing guy friend. “What do you want me to play?” Deck leaned in a tiny bit closer, but I had to move a tiny bit away from him because of the feeling he gave me.
“Play whatever you want.”
“I don’t know what to play, that’s kinda why I asked you.”
Ugh. “Play... Hey There, Delilah.” I reached beside me, turned the camera on and was about to record again. “And...go.” I pressed the Record button and Deck began playing with that gorgeous, heart-melting voice of his.
Hey there Delilah, what’s it like in New York City?
You’re a thousand miles away, but girl tonight you look so pretty
yes you do, Times Square can’t shine as bright as you
I swear, it’s true
Hey there Delilah, don’t you worry ‘bout the distance
I’m right here if you get lonely, give this song another listen
Close your eyes, listen to my voice it’s my disguise
I’m by your side

Oh, it’s what you do to me
Oh, it’s what you do to me
Oh, it’s what you do to me
Oh, it’s what you do to me, what you do to me

Hey there Delilah, I’ve got so much left to say
If every simple I wrote to you would take your breath away
I’d write it all, even more in love with me you’d fall
We’d have it all

Oh, it’s what you do to me
Oh, it’s what you do to me
Oh, it’s what you do to me
Oh it’s what you do to me

A thousand miles seems pretty far, but they’ve got planes and trains and cars
I’d walk to you if I had no other way
Our friends would all make fun of us, but we’ll just laugh along because
We know that none of them have felt this way
Delilah I can promise you that by the time we get through
The world will never ever be the same
And you’re to blame

Hey there Delilah, you be good and don’t you miss me
Two more years and you’ll be done with school and I’ll be making history
Like I do
You know it’s all because of you
We can do whatever we want to
Hey there Delilah here’s to you, this one’s for you

Oh, it’s what you do to me
Oh, it’s what you do to me
Oh, it’s what you do to me
Oh, it’s what you do to me, what you do to me
Oh, oh, oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh, oh-oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh,Oh

I can’t get enough of his singing. And they way he looked at me made it feel like the song was written just for me. Like I’m Delilah DiCrescenzo and Deck is Tom Higgenson. I don’t know if it was because he was into the song or... something else. Like he felt something between us. No, it couldn’t be. He couldn’t like me, he doesn’t even know me that well. It’s probably just the into-the-song thing. Yeah. That’s it...
“And that people, is what I love to do.” Deck enthusiastically said into the camera. I stopped recording after a few seconds of him smiling into it.
“Wanna do the album now or COD?”
“Maybe we can do the album and COD another day.”
I was sorta confused. We just started. “Huh?”
Deck flung his legs on the bed and rolled over so his head was touching the headboard “I was thinking we could just... talk.” His gaze switched from friendly to sexy in a millisecond. “You could lay down beside me if you want.” His voice was slow and seductive. I hated when he did that because it made me like him even more. I also hated it when he bit his lip, which is exactly what he’s doing right now.
I couldn’t do it because it would look like I like him, and I’m trying to look like the exact opposite. But that positive part of me came back and forced me to blurt out, “Okay.” I sounded like a complete retard. Thank you, positive part. I laid down beside him and he let out a short, soft moan.
“You smell good. Like...vanilla.” Random much?
“So?”
Deck turned his body to face me, brushed the hair out of my face and placed his hand on my cheek. “That kinda turns me on.”
Damn him and his sexy, moany voice. But I kind of like that I’m turning him on right now. I’m not trying to, I just am. But to make it look like I’m not enjoying this, I rolled my eyes and pushed him away.
He laughed and rolled back over. “I’m just messin’ with you.” he folded his arms beside his head and tucked his hands underneath it.He turned his head from his right to upward and stared at the ceiling. “So...tell me about yourself.”
“Um... I don’t know what to tell you.” I really didn’t, and if I did I’d bore him. I’m not that special.
“Talk about friends, family, birthday, childhood... things like that.”
“Alright...well, my birthday’s June 28 and I was born and raised here in Toronto. I didn’t have any problem’s growing up, I was just a normal little girl. And uh...my best friends are Paz and Tanner. Uh... yeah, that’s all I got, my life’s boring as hell.”
Deck smiled that dreamy, boyish smile of his, and that’s something I like about him. He can go from sexy to cute in the blink of an eye. “C’mon, there’s got to be more, or maybe I’m just not asking a good question.”
“What would be a good question?”
“Um... when was your first kiss?”
“... Yeah, I’d rather bore you.”
“It wasn’t bad was it?” he turned his head back towards me with his brow raised.
“No, it was just with this asshole of a guy and...um...” I can’t tell him about any of the past four relationships I had, I don’t fell comfortable doing it. Unless he’s my best friend, I’m not talking about it. “Is it okay if I...leave now? We’re not really doing anything anymore so I think I should go home.”
Deck shrugged and sat up against the headboard.”It was short visit, but If you really wanna go home I can drop you off.”
“Thanks.”
Me and Deck got off of the bed and made our way downstairs. I quickly picked my stuff off of the side of the sofa in the living room and followed Deck out the door after putting my Toms on. I opened the car door and slipped into the passenger seat while Deck did the same in the drivers seat.
“Should I give you directions?” Stupid ass question. It’s not like he’s psychic, I obviously need to give him directions.
“Nope, just tell me your address and I’ll punch it in the GPS.” Oh. Maybe I don’t need to give him directions.
“56 Farro Drive.” I said this the same time Deck reached into the glove compartment,pulled out a TomTom and placed it in the holder attached to the windshield. He typed in the country, then the province, then the city, then the street, and finally the address.The little square in the bottom right hand corner of the screen said it would take 6 minutes to get from here to my house, so me and Deck don’t live too far away.
Most of the way home we talked about ideas for the video. Actually, all the way home we talked about ideas for the video. No music, no movies, no friends, no family. Nothing. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed because I wanted to learn a little bit more about him. But I reminded myself that I had plenty of time to do that. I also need to remind myself that I cam”t get close to this guy. I figure that the more I treat him like he’s just another douchebag, the more I’ll think of him like a douchebag and save myself from heartbreak. This won’t work unless I make it work, and so far I’m not doing a good job.