Status: New !

Kristie, Are You Doing Okay?

3.

At school the next day I avoided Aiden but every time I turned the corner he seemed to be there. Whenever he was nearby I could feel Brody tense up.

“There’s something about him that’s so hot,” Charlie would whisper to me.

I had told her about him somewhat figuring out about Brody and I’s secret and him talking to me after the game.

“Don’t even go there,” I whispered back.

I was at my locker waiting for Brody to get out of class when Aiden came up to me. Trying to ignore him, I attempted to look as if I was busily rereading my notes.

“I know you see me,” he said.

Still not looking up he continued, “I meant what I said yesterday, I’m not going to tell anyone. I swear. I just don’t understand why you don’t tell someone. What’re you so afraid of?”

Him, I thought to myself. Brody and what he would do to me if I even tried to.

“Are you really going to pretend that I’m not here?” he asked.

“Yes,” I finally answered, “And like I said yesterday just mind your own business okay? It’ll benefit both of us.”

I slammed my locker and tried to walk away when Aiden kept following me.

“Why? Did he threaten to beat you if you talked to me again?”

When I didn’t answer he knew what he said was right.

“Unbelievable,” he laughed in a disgusted way, “And you’re okay with that? Just stop talking to someone because the big bad wolf told you to? Well listen, I’m not going to stop trying to help you. Wanna know why? Because know that I know I can’t leave you alone with that. Everytime you have a bruise on your face or a scratch I’m going to know who and what its from. And one day when its real bad I’m going to tell someone."

I stopped walking and turned to him, “Don’t you dare. Do you hear me? Don’t. Leave me alone, this is my business and my fault. You might not understand this but I love him, he’s my boyfriend. He might get angry sometimes and bring his anger out on me but it doesn’t matter. I don’t matter.”

“That’s not true! You matter to me and I’m sure your parents and your friends,” Aiden tried to argue, “So let someone help you!”

I could see Brody walking out of class from down the hall, “I have to go.”

Brody greeted me with a kiss and he held my hand as we walked to lunch. I turned back around and saw Aiden still watching us as we turned the corner.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

I had forgotten that he was talking to me, “I have a lot on my mind.”

“Anything you wanna talk about?”

I shook my head; we never really talked about our problems. I was usually too afraid to bring anything up about our imperfect relationship for the fear of angering him. As we walked to lunch I thought about what Aiden said. Did I deserve better? There wasn’t anyone who showed me that I did. Brody walked to go get our lunch while I took our usual spot at the table. From my seat I could see Aiden sitting with his field hockey friends. He stood up and made his way to the lunch line. I watched him be a gentleman and let a sophmore cut him. Why did he have to be so cute? Charlie's voice interrupted my thoughts.

“Still thinking about Aiden?” Charlie asked quietly.

I nodded, “Do you think I deserve better?”

“Of course I do!” her eyes lit up, “Omigod! You like him don’t you?”

That’s what you get for having a best friend who could sense everything about you.

“Of course not,” I lied badly, “It’s just…”

I was interrupted by yelling on the other side of the cafeteria. Aiden and Brody were pushing each other causing a scene. Everyone was watching and the cafeteria suddenly became quiet so they could hear what was going on.

“- I was ahead of you!” Aiden yelled.

“What the fuck is your problem man?” Brody yelled and pushed back.

Charlie and I ran over to where they were standing.

“Stop,” I begged to Brody once we reached them.

I tried pushing Brody back to our table but he wouldn’t budge.

He pushed me out of the way and said, “Stay outta this.”

Repeatedly, I tried to push him back but he resisted without any effort.

“You mad?” Aiden egged him on.

Then he whispered so that only Brody and I could hear him, “You gonna beat me like you beat your girlfriend?”

Never in my life had I seen someone move as fast as Brody did. He football tackled Aiden to the ground so hard I heard a crack when he hit the ground. Before I knew it Brody was bashing Aiden’s face in like he was a punching bag. Kids around us encouraged him meanwhile Charlie and I were begging him to get off of him. Suddenly our principal, Mr. Levine, appeared with two security guards. With great struggle the security guards pulled Brody off of Aiden. Aiden stood up wiping the blood from his nose on his sleeve.

“I’m going to make you wish you never transferred here!” Brody threatened.

“Foreman! Brooks! My office! Now!” the principal yelled.

Brody was led out by the security guards meanwhile Aiden stayed put.

“Why are you making this so hard?” I asked him.

He smiled, “Am I?”

With that he followed out the doors Brody just walked out of.