‹ Prequel: A Forbidden Love
Sequel: Two Vibrant Hearts

Until the End

Returning Home

I couldn't sit still as I got onto the lane that took me into Long Beach, heading towards Huntington Beach. It has been 3 years since I've been here. 3 years since I left that heart breaking night, disappearing from those who loved me most. Well, all but one apparently. But here I am, coming back to it all. I had too, I missed them too much to stay away. I couldn't stand to be away from my brother any longer, not when I had just found him. All too soon I was turning onto the familiar street, and my heart was literally jumping out of my chest. I slowly pulled to a stop out front of the house I called home. Admiring the expensive cars that were parked in the driveway. I parked the car and leaned back against my seat as I shut my eyes, building up the courage I had immediately lost.

"Mommy? You awight?" I heard my daughter, Kaylie, ask me. I turned to face her, smiling.
"Of course." I nodded. "You ready to go inside and say hello to everyone?"
"Yeah!" She smiled, her little dimples lighting up her face as she bounced in her car seat.

I smiled at her before looking back at the house. I could see people inside walking around and laughing. I took a deep breath before getting out of the car and walking over to Kaylie's side, unbuckling her and placing her on my hip as I walked up the brick stairs. My heart going insane as I now stood in front of the large, wooden french doors. I put Kaylie on the ground and she hugged my leg tightly, her nerves finally getting to her. I took another deep breath as I ran my fingers through my hair, knocking softer than I thought I would have on the door.

Everything inside went silent. I could hear my brother's voice on the other side, asking someone was that the door? I rolled my eyes with a soft giggle as I knocked again, this time a bit louder. I closed my eyes as I heard heavy footsteps on the other side of the door then heard the jingling of the door handle, I finally opened my eyes at the same time the door opened. My hazel green eyes locking with another pair of hazel eyes.

"Oh my God.." He whispered, eyes huge as he eyed me up and down. He seriously looked like he'd just seen a ghost. I smiled slightly.
"Hey, Matty." I did a little wave.
"Ellie? Is that..is that really you?" Matt asked, strangely out of breath.
"Yep." I nodded. "It's really me, Matt."
"ELLIE!" Matt yelled, picking me up into his arms. I hid my face in the crook of his neck as we hugged each other. "I missed you so much. I'm so glad you're here." Matt said into my hair.
"I missed you too, Matty." I pulled away to smile at him. He smiled back, showing off his dimples. I felt Kaylie's arms around my leg tighten a little. "Matt, I want you to meet someone very dear to me." I picked Kaylie up into my arms, resting her on my hip. She laid her head in the crook of my neck. "Matt, this is Kaylie. My daughter." Matt's eyes bugged out of his head.
"Your...your daughter?" Matt choked out, staring at Kaylie then me again. I nodded.
"Yep. I have a daughter. Your niece." I told him. He stared at Kaylie for another minute then smiled widely.
"My niece." He breathed out, then chuckled. "Never in a million years would I think my baby sister having a baby before me." I giggled along with him. "But I'm happy for you, Ellie. She's beautiful."
"Thank you." I hugged Kaylie.
"Come on inside. I'm sure you're dying to see Val and Zacky." Matt smiled, holding the door open for us.
"Don't you know it." I giggled, walking inside.