‹ Prequel: A Forbidden Love
Sequel: Two Vibrant Hearts

Until the End

Day at the Beach

"Hey, Ell?" Matt walked out onto the deck. I peered up at him from under my shades, sitting up in the lawn chair.
"Yeah, Matt? What's up?" I asked as he sat down beside me.
"What are you and Kaylie up to today?" He asked, watching Kaylie on the grass as she chased after Bella.
I shrugged. "This." I laughed, Matt chuckled.
"How do you feel about going to the beach with me today? Have a sibling/uncle day. We haven't really spent much time together, other than those few movie nights. If you don't count when you fall asleep on me." Matt laughed. I rolled my eyes, smiling.
"When you finally have a kid, you'll see how tired you can get." I giggled. "But sure. That sounds like a great idea, Matt. Kaylie!" I called her name and she came running over to us.
"Hi, Uncle Matt." She hugged Matt.
"Hey, sweetheart." He kissed the top of her head.
"Kaylie, do you want to go to the beach with Mommy and Uncle Matt today?" I asked her. Her eyes lighted up with excitement.
"Yes, Mommy! Yes!" She jumped up and down. "Can we go now?" She asked Matt, excitedly. He grinned.
"Once your Mom changes your outfit and gets you all ready, yes." He nodded. Kaylie tugged at my hand.
"Mommy, come on!" I laughed at her eagerness. This would be Kaylie's first time at the beach.

I changed Kaylie into her toddler bikini bathing suit that Val bought for her the other day, and slid her into her shorts and white tank top with matching flip flops. I slipped into my Ed Hardy bikini and put on a pair a shorts and a skull spaghetti strap with black flip flops. With Kaylie on my hip and our beach bag hanging from my arm, I grabbed my sunglasses and bounded down the stairs to see Matt in his swim trunks and sleeveless Iron Maiden tee. Wearing the typical 'M Shadows' look with the backwards baseball cap and aviators. He took the beach bag from my arm and held the door open for us. His car set to go for our destination. The beach.

"Kaylie, look at what I see." I pointed out the window as Matt pulled into a parking spot.
"The beach!" Kaylie yelled out, happily.

Matt and I laughed as we got out of the car. I grabbed the beach bag as Matt took Kaylie, helping her walk across the sand. Laughing at how she stumbled as the sand moved from under her little feet. I grinned as I shook my head when Matt hoisted Kay onto his shoulders, after quite a bit of begging from Kay, and found us a spot near the ocean. Surprisingly the beach wasn't crowded today. I was pretty glad for that. I never liked it when the beach was crowded.

"Come here, little girl." I laughed, quickly grabbing Kaylie's arm before she took off for the ocean. Ever since she was born, she was always on the move.
"Mommy!" She whined, wiggling to get free. "No!"
"Hey! No whining or we'll go home." She was silent. "I just have to lotion you up before I set you loose, alright? I don't want you getting sunburned. Daddy will kill me." Kaylie and Matt laughed.
"Where Daddy?" She asked.
"Doing Daddy stuff." I told her. I didn't know what he was up to today, he didn't answer his phone which was strange. "Alright, you're free!"
"C'mon, Uncle Matt! Ocean! Ocean!" She grabbed Matt's hand.
"All right, all right. I'm coming." He smiled, taking off his hat and shades. "Watch these, please?" I nodded, watching him take off with Kaylie as they went in the ocean.

I sat back in my chair as I watched Matt and Kaylie. He was so good to Kaylie. Showing her the little things about the beach. How to swim in the ocean, showing her how to make sand castles, and collecting sea shells. All that and so much more. Kaylie ran towards me with her bucket as Matt walked behind her, a dimpled smile on his face.

"Mommy! Wook!" She held out her bucket for me to see. "Can we keep him?"
I peeked into the bucket to see a tiny, little brown fish she had caught. "We can't keep him, Kaylie. His family will miss him." She frowned. "How about I buy you a little fish at the store? One that will be much prettier than this one and we can keep forever. How's that sound?"
Kaylie smiled widely, nodding. "Okay, Mommy. I go take him back." She ran towards the ocean. Matt sat in the chair beside mine.
"She's just like you. Always so curious about everything." Matt commented, watching Kaylie like I was.
"Is that a good thing or bad?" I giggled. Matt cracked a grin.
"It's a good thing." He chuckled. "Where's Syn at?"
"Dunno. Thought you'd know."
He shook his head. "Haven't spoken to him since the other day. I think, I'm not too sure, that he's in the studio with Zacky."
"Oh." It was silent for a while.
"Ellie, I've been noticing some things." Matt said after a bit. I quirked an eyebrow at him.
"Things?"
"The way you and Syn are around each other. And I know you both still have feelings for each other, we can all see it. And well, what I'm trying to say here is, well.. uhh....." He fought with his words.
"Matt, just spit it out." I smiled.
"What I'm trying to say is; if you two get together, if you're not already, well then I'm happy for you both."
"Who are you and what have you done to my brother?" I asked, warily. Matt laughed loudly.
"I'm being serious here, Ellie. If you and Syn are together, I'm happy for you both."
"What brought all this on? I mean, I'm glad to hear this but I'm kinda confused."
"Well I just got over my... differences, I guess you could say, with Syn. Seeing that I can't change who you fall for. And I've seen how mature Syn has become, how he treats Kaylie and you." Matt paused for a second. "He really loves you two. He's a good guy."
"Good enough for me?" I asked, referring back to when Matt said Brian was no good for me.
Matt grinned, remembering. "Yeah. He's good enough for you now."
I jumped from my seat and hugged Matt tightly. He laughed as he hugged back. "Thank you, Matt. Thank you."
"No problem, Ell Bell."