‹ Prequel: A Forbidden Love
Sequel: Two Vibrant Hearts

Until the End

The Haner's Barbecue

"Brian! Hurry up or we'll be late!" I yelled up the stairs.
A loud shattering sound was all you heard. "Fuck!" Brian shouted. Thankfully Kaylie was outside playing.
I giggled. "What did you break this time?" I asked as Brian bounded down the stairs.
"Nothing." He smiled.
I rolled my eyes. "I'll find out when we get back from your parents, you know that right?"
He smirked. "Not if I keep you occupied."
"Nice try, Haner." I kissed him.

He laughed as he strapped Kaylie into her car seat in the back of his truck, then hopping behind the wheel and pulling out of the driveway. With his hand firmly on my thigh, he sang along to Mr. Bungle as we drove down to his parents house. We were heading over for a family barbecue and to tell them our obvious news. That there will be a new baby Haner in town. I smiled as I rubbed my baby bump.

As we pulled out front of the house, everyone was seated outside already. Brent was over by the grill with Papa Gates, Suzy was setting up the table and McKenna was playing on the swingset. Brian gave my thigh a gentle squeeze before sliding out, I followed right after him.

"Brian! Ellie! Kaylie!" McKenna yelled out, running from the swings towards us.
"Woah. Slow down there, McKenna." Brian jumped in front of me before McKenna could run into me.
She frowned. "Sorry, Bri." Her eyes met mine then followed down to where my hands were. Her eyes grew. "Ellie, you're having another baby?"
I smiled, nodding. "That I am. You're going to be an Aunt again."
She grinned. "That's so awesome! Come on, Mom wants to see you." McKenna grabbed my hand, leading me over towards Suzy.
Suzy smiled, walking quickly to meet me. "Oh Ellie, so good to see you again." She hugged me.
"Great to see you too, Suzy." I smiled.
"Look at you." She grinned. "Can I?" She nodded towards my belly.
"Of course." She smiled, rubbing my belly.
"Wow. Not too long now until we meet the baby, is it?" Suzy asked.
"Nope. Baby Haner will be here just around the corner." Brian smirked, coming up behind us.
"Congratulations to you both, again." Suzy smiled, warmly. "Oh, Brian? Could you go grab the burgers out of the fridge for me?"
"What can I do for you, Suzy?" I asked as Brian jogged into the house.
She shook her head. "Nothing, sweetheart. Sit down and relax."
"So it is true." Brent chuckled as he pulled me into a hug.
I smiled. "What's true?"
"That your pregnant by my brother again. It's all over the magazines."
I nodded. "Clearly it's true then." I pointed to my belly. "I can't fake this."
Brent smirked. "I don't know about that. You can be a tricky little girl."
I smirked. "Tricky? Me? Yeah, okay."
"Now, now Brent. Leave Ellie alone before she kicks your ass." Papa Gates chuckled.
"Hey, Papa Gates." I grinned, hugging him.
"Hey there, kiddo." He kissed my cheek. "You look beautiful."
"Thanks." I smiled.
"Dad?" Brian called from the grill. "Come here for a second."
"Excuse me, need to save him before he sets himself on fire." Papa Gates walked over towards Brian.
Brent chuckled. "Again." Then followed after him.
I laughed as I sat down. "Brian set himself on fire?"
Suzy giggled. "He has quite a few times. I don't know how he hasn't burned down your house yet."
I laughed with her. "Now I'm scared for him to be near the stove."
"What are my two favorite ladies talking about?" Brian asked, standing behind my chair.
"Oh, nothing." I smiled up at him. He smirked, pressing his lips to mine.
"Sneaks." He chuckled.
"Daddy!" Kaylie giggled as she ran about on the lawn with McKenna.

I watched as Brian left my side and ran onto the grass, McKenna and Kaylie playfully screaming as they ran away from him. Brian caught Kaylie in his arms and fell onto the grass on his back, holding Kaylie in the air. Their laughter filling my ears making me smile at my little family.

"He's really good with her." Suzy said, admiringly.
I nodded. "He is. He's a wonderful father. Kaylie and this baby are very lucky to have him."
"And so are you." Suzy smiled, placing a reassuring hand on top of mine. "You have no idea how much you mean to him, dear. He's crazy about you."
"I'm crazy about him too. He's not just my boyfriend, he's my best friend." I smiled. "I don't know what I would do if he ever left me." I glanced back over towards Brian and Kaylie.
"Ellie, are you comfortable around us?" Suzy asked.
I raised an eyebrow. "Of course I am. You guys are pretty much family to me."
Suzy smiled. "Good, I want you to feel comfortable with us. Cause to us, you are our daughter."
I grinned, hugging Suzy. "Thanks, Suzy."
"No problem, sweetie." She kissed my cheek. "Can I ask you something?"
"Sure can." I pushed a lock of hair out of my face. Curious to know what Suzy had on her mind.
"You love Brian, right?" She asked.
I nodded. "With all my heart and more."
"So if he were to propose, you'd say yes?" She asked.
I was shocked. "Uhm yeah, probably. Why? Is he going to?"
Suzy shook her head. "I wouldn't know, dear. I was just wondering cause I really want you as a daughter."

I smiled and nodded, glancing back over towards Brian. McKenna had he arms wrapped around Brian's neck from behind while Kaylie was tickling his stomach, making him laugh really hard. I softly giggled. I loved his laugh, it always made you want to join in with him whether you knew the joke or not. Brian's brown eyes met mine and a beautiful smile appeared on his face. I gave him a little wave before Kaylie asked for his attention. My mind was filled with questions I know won't be answered. From things to like will Kaylie like the new baby? To Suzy's strange questioning. Was Brian planning on proposing?