‹ Prequel: A Forbidden Love
Sequel: Two Vibrant Hearts

Until the End

Guy Time

I cracked open both beers as I walked back into the living room, seeing Syn take off his shades while petting Bella. His eyes red and puffy. What was going on at home was really bothering him. Fuck, I haven't seen him this torn up since Jimmy.

"Thanks." He said, taking the beer I handed to him. I nodded as I took my seat across from him. "Where's Val?" He asked.
I took a swig before answering him. "Just left before you got here." He nodded. "Should be at your house by now. So tell me, what's going on over there?"
He took a gulp. "It's Ellie."
"Is she all right? Is the baby okay?" I asked, leaning forward.
Syn nodded. "They're both fine. The baby is perfectly fine." Syn stared at his beer. "Ellie's physically fine, emotionally..I don't know."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"
He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "She seems..different. Like she's not all there."
"Has this been happening a lot lately?" I asked him, needing to know what was wrong with my little sister.
He shook his head, taking another swig. "Just started this morning. It's so fuckin weird. It's not Ellie."
"Tell me everything that happened this morning."
Syn took a deep breath. "I woke up alone in bed this morning, I didn't think much of it since I heard the tv on downstairs and Kaylie singing. I got out of bed and headed downstairs and into the kitchen where I found Ellie cooking up some pancakes for Kaylie. I went to go hug her from behind, but she pulled out of my arms going over to the fridge. I thought it was weird at first, but shrugged it off for a bit. But something didn't feel right. She wasn't her bubbly self." He took another gulp. "I asked if she was okay and if there was something wrong. She told me nothing was wrong. But she never looked up at me, and her voice... it was lifeless. So at this point I'm worried. I went to grab her but she jerked out from under my hands and gave Kaylie her breakfast. I grabbed Ellie and pulled her back into the kitchen to talk to her, get her to tell me what's on her mind. But she just won't tell me, no matter how many times I begged her too." He looked up at me, seeming aged beyond his years now. "I'm worried sick over her, Matt. I really am. Ever since I've left, my mind has been going insane. So many thoughts have clouded my mind. But there's one that just keeps fucking screaming at me." He took a couple large gulps.
"And what's screaming at you?" I asked.
Tears fell down Syn's face. "The thought of Ellie leaving me again."
I pushed off the chair and sat beside him, rubbing his back. "Dude, don't you worry over that. If I know my sister, she won't leave you. She loves you so much. Trust me. It'll work out, it's most likely the pregnancy hormones. She'll be back to her old self if not tonight, then tomorrow."
Syn shook his head, setting his beer down as he jumped to his feet. "I need to go home. I need to talk to her."
I stood up and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Syn, man. Sit down and have a beer. Ellie's fine, Val is over there keeping her company. She needs some woman time. And you my friend, need some guy time." I smiled. "Let me call up the guys and we'll head out, alright?"
Syn nodded, sitting back down. "Yeah. Alright."