Status: New Story! Please Comment! :D

The Kamswash Chronicles

Marriage Issues? Not a Chance.

Hey readers, I’m back! Didya miss me? Of course you didn’t, you all hate me! Ok, maybe you do, maybe you don’t, but honestly, I don’t care! I’m here to tell you another story, so sit back, relax and don’t even think about yawning, because I will find you!
Last time you heard from me, we had all just found out we were pregnant. Luckily that was in August, and since Mikal and Han, who are twins-I don’t think I ever mentioned that. Oops –turned 23 in September, Rachel and I are getting married the first week of October. That’s plenty of time before we start to look pregnant!
So let’s rewind to the night of September 30th. Mikal, Han, Moshu, Jess, Rachel and I, were all in Han and my apartment getting ready to travel back to Kamswash for the wedding.
“I can’t believe it’s been almost two months since we’ve been married,” Moshu said, throwing a yanay in his suitcase. He looked up and kissed Jess. Jess smiled and took the yanay out of the suitcase. She folded it and neatly placed it back in.
“What would I do without you?” Moshu asked, laughing.
“You’d still be living with Mom and Dad,” Han joked throwing his yanay in his suitcase just as Moshu did.
“If you think I’m going to fold your clothes for you, you’ve got another thing coming,” I said, laughing.
“But it’s too hard,” Han pouted.
“Fine,” I surrendered, taking out the yanay and folding it. “Happy?”
“Very,” my boyfriend said kissing me. He wouldn’t be my fiancé until tomorrow, when we had the engagement party, and he proposed in front of everyone.
Since Han and Mikal are twins, we were going to have a double wedding. Tuni was probably going to be married at the same time as Nala because she turns 19 when he turns 23 and girls in Kamswash get married at age 19.
“So who are the wedding parties going to be?” I questioned.
Rachel took out a notebook labeled ‘My Perfect Kamswash Wedding.’
“Really, Rachel?” I asked laughing.
“What?” she questioned innocently.
I took the book out of her hands. “My Perfect Kamswash Wedding? Really?”
Rachel blushed and took the book back.
“Oh, cut it out, Lauren,” Moshu spoke. “When Jessica and I were getting married, she updated everything on a bog,”
“Moshu, shush!” Jess said elbowing him in the ribs.
“Oww,” he pouted fakingly.
“A bog?” I asked laughing.
“He means blog,” Han corrected, being slightly more Americanized than his brother.
“I know what he meant. It just seems so weird.”
“I wouldn’t be picking on them. Aren’t you the girl who keeps a journal under her mattress documenting every detail about the wedding? Plus a section that you wrote when you were little about your dream wedding?”
I blushed. “No.”
“YOU STILL HAVE THAT!?!” Jess and Rachel squealed in unison.
“Yes, yes I do,” I said reminiscing about the composition notebooks we decorated when we were 7 with magazine cutouts of wedding dresses, cakes and shoes.
I disappeared into the bedroom and came back out with a worn purple notebook. I opened it up to the first page which was decorated with sparkles and sequins. Jess, Rachel and I flipped through the pages laughing at the crazy things we dreamed about when we were younger.

“So, who are the wedding parties?” Mikal asked, bringing up the subject that had been mentioned before.
“Oh, yes,” Rachel said opening to a page with a pink post it sticking out from it. “Tuni, Lauren’s Brother Christopher and my brother Nicholas will be the groomsmen, with Tuni as the best man, and the bridesmaids will be Jessica, Nala, and my cousin Mia, with Nala as the Maid of Honor.” Rachel stated flatly when she read that Nala was to be the Maid of Honor.
“Why does my soon-to-be wicked step sister have to be the Maid of Honor?” I asked again.
“Because, as per Kamswash tradition, the Maid of Honor is always single. There is no Matron of Honor in our country.”
“Why can’t Mia do it?”
“I don’t know actually, but why are you so concerned.”
“Because Han, she broke my foot! She’ll probably try to stick a snake in my dress or super glue my feet into my shoes.”
“Good Point.”
At that moment, the doorbell rang. “It’s open!” I called as I heard the door creak open. “We’re in the Living Room!” I called again.
“Hey guys, we’ve got good news!” Tuni called as he stepped into the room with Mia at his side. Tuni looked almost exactly like his brothers, but as the youngest brother, he was the shortest. Mia was slightly pale with piercing green eyes and light red hair.
“You’re not pregnant are you?” I asked laughing.
“What? No!” Mia answered laughing.
“We’re getting married!” They yelled in unison.
“We knew that,” I said covering my ears. “You’re getting married next year when you turn 23, remember?”
“Well, yeah, but I just got off the phone with my mom and she said we can get married with you guys!”
“Really?” Rachel asked in delight.
“No, we’re lying,” Tuni said, sarcastically.
Rachel’s face fell. “Kidding, kidding!” Tuni said, smiling.
“But I thought you were supposed to get married next year, when Nala does,” Jess said, closing her suitcase.
“Nala? Get married? Have you met my sister?” Mosu asked, bending over from laughter. Tuni, Han and Mikal joined in.
“Guys, that’s not nice. She is your sister.” Jess said crossing her arms.
“Face it Jess, she’s a bitch,” Han said.
“Han!” I screamed. “Don’t curse! She is a terrible person but she’s not a bitch.”
“Terrible person doesn’t even begin to describe her,” Tuni muttered.
“Yeah, and since when are you such a positive Patty?” Mikal asked.
I looked over at Jess for support, but she only agreed with them.
“I love you,” Jess said “But you’ve been negative your whole life. Remember the first time we met?”
I remembered it clearly. “What happened?” Moshu asked, finally managing to close his suitcase.
“It was the first day of Kindergarten, and I was eating lunch by myself,” I started.
“And I felt bad, so I went over to eat lunch with her. Big mistake,” Jessica continued.
“Hey!” I joked, lightly punching her in the arm. “So, she came over to eat lunch with me, and she was eating tuna, and I’m allergic to tuna.”
“But instead of being a normal person and asking me to leave, or move farther away, she took the sandwich, and smashed it on the ground with her dirty sandal.”
“Yeah, pretty much,” I agreed. “But she came back the next day, I apologized, and we became best friends.”
“I didn’t know you were allergic to tuna,” Han said kissing me on the nose.
“Yeah, it’s kinda serious.”
“Why didn’t you tell me that before?”
“It just slipped my mind.”
“How can something that important just slip your mind?!?” Han asked his voice raising.
“I don’t know, you know now, what’s the big deal?”
“What if I gave you tuna?!? I COULD’VE KILLED YOU!”
“Han, relax, it’s alright,” Tuni said putting his hand on his brother’s shoulder.
“It’s NOT!”
“It is,” I assured him. “You know now.”
“What else do I not know about you?” he asked quietly, looking at his hands.
“You know basically everything,” I said.
“Except that your Dad died when you were 7,” Rachel said.
“RACHEL!!” I screamed.
“I’m sorry!!!”
“YOUR DAD DIED WHEN YOU WERE 7? HOW AM I JUST HEARING OF THIS NOW?!? AND IT COULDN’T HAVE SLIPPED YOUR MIND!!”
“I’m sorry,” I said starting to cry. And I don’t cry that often. “I didn’t know you were so much like your sister!!! You need anger management!!”
With that, I ran into the bedroom and slammed the door. Then I collapsed on the bed in a sobbing heap.
“Lauren? Can I come in?” Han called from outside the door.
“No,” I sniffed.
“Please? I’m really sorry.”
“Fine.”
I heard the door open and Han step in. I didn’t look up; just kept my head buried in the pillows. I felt him sit on the bed and gently lift me into his lap. He then proceeded to lovingly stroke my hair.
“I’m sorry too,” I said looking up into his dark brown eyes. He bent down and pressed his lips against mine. His tongue begged entrance and I obliged, quickly parting my lips. His tongue moved around my mouth as if we were dancing and I groaned in delight as he quickly moved it around my mouth and hit the sensitive spots.
I did the same in Han’s mouth as my strong boyfriend groaned as well. We continued on with our make out session. Han was about to lift off my shirt when we heard people clear their throats in the doorway. We pulled away from each other and abruptly turned to see everyone standing there.
“I guess you made up,” Jess said, laughing.
“Yeah,” I responded, and then turned back to Han.
We immediately started to make out again but were quickly interrupted.
“Aren’t you going to finish packing?” Mikal asked.
“We’re done,” I answered.
“Fine, get back to your making out,” Moshu said shutting the door.
We made out for a little while longer and then finally went to bed. We had to wake up at around 6 if we wanted to make it to Kamswash by nightfall. Then the next day we would start the week long wedding all over again.
Knock Knock. Knock Knock.
I rolled over and looked at the clock. It was 5:30, who was at the door? I turned on the lamp making Han groan and duck under the covers.
Knock Knock.
“I’m coming!” I called, still half asleep. I groggily stumbled to the door and opened it. Jess, Rachel and Mia were at the door.
“Good you’re up,” Jess said coming in.
“I am now,” I yawned. “Why are you up so early?”
“We’re leaving at 6. Get Han’s lazy ass up,” Rachel said sitting on the couch.
I suddenly felt awake. I ran into the bedroom and grabbed a pillow which I threw at the lump under the covers; my boyfriend. He groaned but failed to move. So like a bull, I charged at the bed and landed with a thud on top of Han.
“Oof,” Han uttered as I landed on top of him. He rolled onto his back so that he was facing me. “You didn’t have to do that.”
I grinned. “Yes, I did.”
“Oh, yeah?” he smirked and pushed me off of him as he rose from the bed.
“Jess, Rachel and Mia are in the Living Room,” I warned him before he could step out of the bedroom in his boxers.
We got ready and trudged down the steps leading to the subway, luggage in hand. The boys still weren’t fully used to using the subway and it was funny to see their eyes widen as the voice came over the speakers, announcing the next stop.
We made it to the airport and boarded the plane. Even though I had made it once before, I still wasn’t used to the 25 hour flight to Thailand.
***
The wedding was going to be a little different this time. First of all, Han, Mikal and Tuni didn’t have to search for their wives because they had met us previously and they moved back to the US where we dated. Dating isn’t typical in Kamswash, most people just wait until their marriage is arranged. Second, Mr. and Mrs. Zilaconic didn’t have to come to the US to meet us because they already did. Third, this is a triple wedding. Honestly, it sounds like a reality show; One country, Three Weddings, Seven Days. Tune in at 8/7 central, Wednesday nights, on Fox.
After arriving in Kamswash, we immediately went to the house. It was dark, and I was afraid something would happen to us, just as it happened to Han. I tightly gripped his hand, squinting to see the ground I was walking on. My heart was beating fast as I tried to distinguish the sounds around me.
I could see the lights of the city square when I heard something rustling in the bushes. I gripped Han’s hand tighter. “What was that?” I whispered.
“I don’t know,” he answered. “But maybe you can lighten up on your grip, I feel like my hand’s going break.”
I loosened up on my grip but quickly tightened it again when I saw a light coming from the bushes. “Does anybody else see that?” I asked quietly.
“Lauren, calm down,” I heard Tuni say. “It’s just your imagin-“
He couldn’t finish what he was saying, because at that point a tall black figure jumped out of the bushes. I jumped and shrieked thinking that everyone else was shrieking along. But they weren’t.
They were laughing.
“What’s so funny?” I asked.
“It’s Mikal,” Han said between laughs. “We thought it would be fun to scare you.”
“Yeah, fun for you,” I muttered. “I almost had a heart attack.”
We continued to walk until we made it to the estate. The butler, Naltay, greeted us at the door. I was actually happy to be in Kamswash. It wasn’t that bad of a place. Many of the guests would arrive even later than us.
I went up to my room and unpacked. Han and I had to sleep in separate rooms and it made me upset. I had gotten used to sleeping with another person. I stayed up a little longer in the parlor, talking with Jessica, Mia, Rachel, and Mrs. Zilaconic before I went to bed. After all, I had a long week ahead of me.
***
Day 1: The Engagement Party:
“Here we go again,” I muttered as I got out of bed. I looked at my watch. It said 10:00. The engagement party was going to be late that night because the guests had to arrive. I walked out of my room and descended down the spiral staircase. Mrs. Zilaconic was in the parlor.
“Good morning Mrs. Zilaconic,” I said.
“Oh please, Lauren,” she answered. “Call me Mom.”
“Oh, no it’s not necessary…”
“Call me Mom!” she insisted.
“Ok, Mom.”
Mr. Zilaconic stepped in the room. “Good Morning, Dad,” I said laughing. He just looked at me.
“Call me Mr. Zilaconic,” he said coldly.
“Tahir,” Mrs. Zilaconic whispered to Mr. Zilaconic as though I couldn’t hear her. “Let her call you Dad, you let Jessica.”
I walked away but stationed myself near the wall so I could still hear.
“I know,” Mr. Zilaconic answered his wife. “But I just don’t trust her.”
“What do you mean you don’t trust her? You did approve, and she’s a nice girl, Tahir.”
I laughed quietly so no one could hear me. Who names their kid Tahir?
“I know, Kenyetta, but she’s not as bubbly as the others. Rachel is a bundle of energy, Jessica is good natured, and Mia is quiet but kind-hearted.”
“Is there a point?”
“I just don’t know what Han sees in her.”
At this point, I don’t know what came over me. But I started to cry. My soon-to-be Father-in-law didn’t approve of me. I was about to walk away when Mr. Zilaconic spoke again.
“I may withdraw my approval,”
“Withdraw your approval?” Mrs. Zilaconic yelled.
Tuni walked past me and into the parlor. “Hey Lauren,” he said as he passed me. “Withdraw what approval?” he asked as he sat down.
“Tuni, this is a private conversation between your Mother and I,” Mr. Zilaconic spoke.
“Not with Lauren listening,” Tuni muttered.
I didn’t get to hear their reactions because I ran out of the house as tears ran down my face. I ran past the gates, through the town and along the beach. I ran until I came to a vacant spot at the edge of the island. I sat under a tree, put my head in my knees, and cried. I just cried.
***
Han’s P.O.V
“Hey Tuni, have you seen Lauren?” I asked my younger brother.
“Not since I saw her eavesdropping on Mom and Dad.” He answered.
“All the guests have arrived and I can’t find her,” I said. Then I realized what Tuni had just said. “Wait, she was eavesdropping?”
“Yeah, I heard Dad say something about withdrawing his approval.”
“On one of our marriages?”
“I think so.” Tuni paused for a second. “And Lauren was crying.”
I put my head in my hands. “It must be our marriage. I have to find Lauren so we can convince Dad not to withdraw. If he announces it at the party tonight, we’re done for.”
“Meaning?”
“We won’t get married! Did you pay attention at all when we learned about the traditions of marriage?”
“Maybe…”
I threw my hands up in desperation.
“You’re impossible!” I yelled at him in Kamani, Kamswash’s language. Then I ran out the door to find Lauren before it was too late.
***
Lauren’s P.O.V
“Lauren?” I heard a voice call. It got closer. “Lauren?” I didn’t look up. “There you are.” It was Han. I probably looked terrible. My face was probably red and my make up was probably running. He sat next to me. “I heard you were eavesdropping on my parent’s conversation” he laughed.
I nodded. “They were talking about me.”
“Really?”
I nodded again. “Your Dad hates me.”
“He’s doesn’t”
“He wants to withdraw his approval.”
“I heard.”
“What can we do?”
“Well it’s not official until he announces it to the guests. He can do it either today, tomorrow or Wednesday.”
“We have to get married,” I said starting to cry again. I put my head on his shoulder. “Especially since I’m pregnant.” I said quietly.
He uttered something in Kamani; probably a curse. “I didn’t even think of that.” He got up. “Come on, we need to talk to my Dad, quick.”
***
“No,” Mr. Zilaconic said as we pleaded him to reconsider.
“But Dad,” Han whined. “You can’t do this.”
“I can and I will.”
“There has to be a reason. You’re worse than Nala.”
“Han, you have to respect your Father’s wishes,” Mrs. Zilaconic said.
“My father is being a stubborn, stuck-up jerk!” Han yelled. He turned around, walked out of the room, and slammed the door, leaving me standing there with my future in-laws (well, maybe not).
“I better go...” I started, heading for the door.
“Stay,” Mr. Zilaconic instructed me. “We know exactly what’s going on.”
“You- you do?”
“Yes,” Mr. Zilaconic said. “You’re in a rush to get married because you’re pregnant.”
My head spun, tears started falling and I felt dizzy. Then, I passed out.
***
“How long is she going to be like this?” I heard Han ask someone in the room.
“There’s no way to tell,” a voice answered. It was the doctor.
I opened my eyes, and reality flooded before me. I was in my bedroom. Han, Jess, the doctor and my mom were there.
I tried to sit up, but felt kind of weak. I hated it. I never liked to feel weak, it made me feel… not strong. (I can’t think of other synonyms, don’t judge me!)
“Stay where you are,” the doctor instructed me. I slumped back into the pillows and tried to register my muffled thoughts; there were so many of them. They were like tiny butterflies floating through my brain, cluttering my thoughts and making me dizzy. “Did you speak to your parents yet?” I asked Han.
He nodded. “They found out.”
“I know. That’s why I…”
“Passed out?”
“Yeah.”
“Rachel and Mikal told them too. They’re not as mad anymore.”
I breathed a sigh of relief. That’s good, I thought. Hopefully we can get married now. “Did they say anything about withdrawing their approval?” I asked finally.
“My father said we can get married!”
I sat up so quickly feeling elated. But the sudden movement made me feel weak, and I slumped down in my bed again. Han sat on the bed and gently lifted me up, propping me against the pillows. “There,” he said kissing my nose.
“Thanks,” I said, smiling. He was so gentle with me. “Now we have to get ready.”
Han turned to the doctor. “She can get out of bed, right?”
He nodded. “She might be a little weak, so just have her sit a lot and make sure she drinks water if she feels faint, to keep this from happening again.”
Everyone turned and walked out of the room, leaving me to get ready. I put on the same navy blue dress I had worn 3 months ago. Then I walked downstairs where everyone was in the great room –it’s a fancy word for living room- waiting for the party to start.
First Mr. and Mrs. Zilaconic announced the wedding parties. The bridesmaids were Nala, Jess, and Mia’s sister Lindsey. Lindsey was the Maid of Honor since everyone agreed; Nala should not be awarded that honor. The groomsmen were my brother Christopher, Rachel’s brother Nicholas, and Mia’s brother Nathaniel. Chris was going to be the best man because Han is the oldest brother being married, so the groomsmen in relation to the oldest brother or oldest brother’s wife will be the best man. It’s complicated but apparently, I have to understand these things.
I surveyed all of the people in the wedding parties. My brother was taller than me. He had brown hair and piercing blue eyes. His skin was tan and I had always envied how tan he could get.
Rachel’s brother, Nick was one of those mischievous guys. Ever since we were little, he used to always play jokes on me. He had blonde hair down to the bottom of his ears, and green eyes. He was always a ladies’ man, so it didn’t surprise me that he was flirting with some girl.
I had just met Nathaniel a couple of weeks ago. He looked a lot like Mia. His hair was short and red, his eyes were green, and he was about average height. He was sitting in the corner of the room acting all anti-social.
Lindsey looked nothing like Mia and Nate. She had long blonde hair, blue eyes, and she was super tall. She was wearing a short blue dress, and I’m not exaggerating, like 10 inch heels. Her skin was perfectly tan and she looked like a super model. I had never met Lindsey before because Mia said she was traveling for work. I didn’t catch her job, so I went up to Mia to ask. “Hey, Mia,” I said to the petite girl.
“Hey, are you ok?”
“Yeah, I’m fine. Your sister looks nothing like you.”
“I get that a lot. She looks like my Dad.”
“Oh, I’ve never seen your Dad.”She pointed to a tall man with blonde hair, who was talking to Mia’s mother, Lucy. “That’s him.”
“Oh wow. She does look like him.” She nodded. “What does she do? You said she was traveling for work.”
Mia groaned. “She’s a model.”
Nick walked up to us. “Damn, cousin,” he said to Mia. “I forgot how smoking your sister was.”
“Nicholas,” Mia said to Nick “You can’t date her, she’s your cousin.”
“Crap.” Nick said. He hugged me. “How you doing? I heard you passed out.”
“So has everyone”
“Yup, you’re ok. You’re the same sarcastic annoyance I remember.”
“And you’re the same arrogant player that I remember.”
“Me? No.” He paused. “Oooh, hot babe at 2 o’clock! Later!”
Then he ran away. I just shook my head. I was about to walk away when someone from behind put their hands on my face so that they covered my eyes. “Guess who?”
“Chris!” I shrieked hugging my older brother. “I missed you!”
“I missed you too!” he said hugging me. “I haven’t seen you in forever.”
“Well, It’s not my fault you got married, had kids, and moved to Italy to start your own Italian hotel empire,” I laughed.
“And it’s not my fault that you’re boring and decided to stay in New York.”
“Speaking of the family, did you bring them?”
“Of course,” he pointed to his wife and kids who were talking to our mother.
The kids saw me and quickly ran over. My brother had two kids, twins, Kylie and Caleb. They’re 6 years old and absolutely adorable.
“Aunt Lauren!” They screamed hugging me tight. I gave them each a kiss.
“I missed you two so much! You’ve gotten so big.”
Their mother, Chris’s wife Lilly, walked over. She hugged me then reprimanded her kids for running away. I talked with my brother, sister-in-law, and niece and nephew for a while until the party started. Everyone proposed, everyone cried and cheered, and everyone left. Great party.
1 day down, 6 to go.
***

Day 2: The Bachelor and Bachelorette Parties
Knock, knock.
“Come in,” I yawned as I sat up in bed. The door opened. It was Nala. “What are you doing here?” I snapped.
“Just came to say hello,” she said, her voice dripping with fake sweetness.
“You don’t have to act like you like me, Nala. We both know you hate me.”
“That is correct. Maybe you’re not as stupid as I thought.”
“Was that meant to be a compliment?”
“No, you stupid American!”
“And we’re back to square one,” I muttered.
“How stupid can you be?!? I see no squares!”
I laughed. “Who’s stupid now?”
“Still you.”
“No, you.”
“No, you.”
“No, you.”
That kinda went on for a while. Then Han came in, started to speak to her in Kamani, and she left.
“Good Morning, my fiancé,” he said sitting on my bed.
“Good Morning to you,” I kissed him on the nose.
“Get ready; I have a surprise for you.”
“Like what?”
“Last time I checked, a surprise was supposed to be kept a secret.”
“Aw.”
“Come on, get ready.”
“Fine,” I huffed kissing him.
“Oh, put on a bathing suit”
“Ok,” I agreed,
I opened up my suitcase and took out a pair of denim short shorts and a green tank top over a light blue bikini. It’s hot in Kamswash so I wanted to dress as light as possible. I went downstairs where Han was waiting for me. He was wearing a pair of board shorts I bought for him. I forget why I bought them. He was arguing with Nala. “You’re becoming so American!” she exclaimed angrily.
“So? Americans are cool”
“See? What is ‘cool’ mean? All you do is speak American!”
“It’s called English, you speak it too.”
“I speak British English. It is proper.”
“American English is better.”
“See? You even dress like them!”
“Nala, you need to lighten up!”
He started to walk away but she started to scream at him in Kamani. From what Han later told me, this is what she said:
“I never loved any of you! I’m the best one in this family and now I see why! I am the only person who is not insane! Even father is starting to like the Americans!”
Han just grabbed my hand, and we walked away trying to be oblivious to the insults being thrown at us in Kamani. Or at least I’m pretty sure they were insults. I doubt she was screaming “I’m so glad you’re marrying Lauren!”
We walked down to the beach where he took a surf board out of a box and brought me to the water.
“I want to teach you how to surf,” he said smiling.
“I’m not going to be good,” I warned him. He just pulled me to the water anyway.
I’m going to be honest. Surfing is hard. I looked like a total idiot. All of the locals were surfing like pros and then there’s me with my blonde hair, pasty skin, and terrible surfing skills. When I was finally able to stand up on the board, I kept getting knocked over by the waves. “I’m terrible,” I whined after being knocked over for the billionth time. People had actually gathered to watch and take video.
“You’re a beginner,” Han answered,
“I’m going to end up on YouTube!”
“Fine, you can stop. But you’re learning how to surf at one point.”
“If you say so.”
“Yes, I say so.”
Then, listen to this, the spectators started to chant. ‘Kiss her, Kiss her!’ So Han kissed me on the lips. But they still weren’t happy. So we basically made out on the beach in front of a bunch of people.
“If this ends up on YouTube I’m going to kill you all,” I yelled at them. But I was smiling.
“It won’t. The wedding will,” Han sort of assured me.
“All six hours of it?”
“It’s going to be longer this time.”
I groaned. “Why so long?” I whined.
“I don’t know.”
“Are we going to have the gazillion year old Reverend again?”
“He’s not a gazillion years old, he’s 102.”
“I’m surprised he didn’t die halfway through the ceremony!”
“Lauren, that’s so mean!” But he was laughing.
“When the Reverend has to sit down 10 minutes into a 6 hour ceremony, you know you’re in trouble.”
“He’s not a Reverend, he’s an Imanzi.”
“Same difference! He still speaks half of the service in Kamani! He sounds like the adults from the Peanuts!”
We continued arguing like this all the way back to the estate. But it wasn’t really arguing. It was just a disagreement about something stupid.
“Fine, let’s just agree to disagree!”
“That makes no sense!”
“Blah blah blah blah blaaah”
“Will you cut that out?” he asked laughing.
“You gotta catch me first!”
I then proceeded to run away. It didn’t take him too long to catch me and lightly wrestle me to the ground. I looked up into those dark brown eyes as he bent down to kiss me. The sun set behind us like a giant orange descending behind the horizon and disappearing.
“Stop fooling around you two, you have to get ready!” It was Mr. Zilaconic. He actually said it nicely and he was laughing.
“Sorry, Mr. Zilaconic,” I apologized as we walked inside.
“It’s alright.” He paused. “And Lauren?”
I turned around. “Yes?”
“Please, call me Dad.”
I smiled and nodded. “Thanks Dad.”
***
The day’s color was orange. It’s such an ugly color; I don’t know why they picked it. I wore that same dress from last time. I looked so stupid, I hated it. I walked downstairs to where the bachelorette party was.
Lindsey walked up to me. She was wearing a tight orange dress that was shorter than mine and the same 10 inch heels, but in orange. I don’t know why she wears such high heels; she’s already like 6’ 3”. I wear two inch heels and I’m only about 5’ 6”. “I just came over to say hello and finally meet you in person,” she said.
“Hi, I’m Lauren,” I said. Then I looked at her. “Do I have to shake your hand?”
She laughed. “No. It’s fine.” She hugged me. “I’m Lindsey, the Maid of Honor.”
“Yeah, you’re Mia’s sister. She’s told me about you.”
“Anything bad?” she asked laughing.
“No!” I answered.
We talked for a little while longer and then went our separate ways. I walked up to Jess. “Why are these parties so boring? Do you think they have strippers in Kamswash?”
“No Lauren, they don’t.”
I sighed. “I hate that we can’t just all hang out together.”
“You can’t bear to be away from your fiancé?”
“No-maybe-yes.”
Jess laughed. “I used to be like that…”
“You still are!”
“I know.”
“Wanna go crash the boy’s party?”
“No.”
“Oh, come on.”
“No, we’re gonna get in trouble.”
“We won’t”
“I’m not going.”
“You’re no fun.”
“I’m fun, I’m just more mature.”
“I’m mature too!”
“Hello stupid Americans.” A voice dripped with fake sweetness from behind me.
“What do you want, Nala?” I asked, turning around.
“What? I can’t say hello to my favorite guests?”
“Do you want me to punch you?” I asked.
“Lauren,” Jess warned from behind me.
“Oh, wouldn’t it hurt the baby?”
“Jess and Rachel are pregnant too.”
“I like them a little more than I like you.”
“I think you really want me to punch you.”
“That’s not a good idea.”
“And why is that?”
“Because if you punch me, my parents will withdraw their approval.”
“You don’t scare me.”
“You wouldn’t want that baby to grow up without a Father would you?”
“Just leave me alone, Nala.”
“Does everyone else here know you’re having a baby out of wedlock?”
“Shut up, Nala.”
“Aw, does the stupid American feel threatened?”
“Leave me alone, Nala.”
“I don’t see why I should.”
“I will punch you.”
“You wouldn’t dare.”
“I would.”
“Lauren,” Jess warned me again.
“Punch me, go ahead.”
“I won’t.”
“Oh, so now you’re a wimp?”
“You know what? “
And I punched her. It wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve ever done, but I was furious. She needs to learn to back off. There’s no reason for her to hate me, but she does.
“LAUREN!” Jess screamed. “You can’t do that!”
“I know! I’m sorry!” I said and I ran out of the room.
***
I was in my room crying because I knew I was going to be in huge trouble. I regret hitting her; I wasn’t thinking. I can probably go on and on about how sorry I am, creating an extremely redundant novel of its own; one that no one would bother to read. But I won’t; I will proceed to tell you what happened next.
Knock knock.
“Who is it?” I sniffed.
“It’s me. Can I come in?”
I knew it was Chris but I wanted to play with him. “I don’t know who me is.”
“You know who it is.”
“I don’t. Who’s it?”
“Just let me in.”
“The doors unlocked. There was never anything stopping you from coming in.”
He opened the door. “Except my annoying little sister.”
“I’m not little.”
“You are to me. I’m taller, and I’m 29.”
“God, you’re old.”
“Oh, shut up,” he paused. “Now what are you doing punching people?”
I groaned. “She’s a bitch!” I protested.
“Bitch or not, you shouldn’t punch people! You’re 21, not 2!”
“I thought you were going to be on my side.”
“I am on your side.”
“Certainly doesn’t seem like it.”
“Can I come in?” It was Han.
“Yeah,” I said.
“I’ll leave you two alone,” my brother said getting up. “And I am on your side, Lauren.”
I didn’t say anything. I just watched him leave. I felt like my brother and I were growing farther and farther apart. “I’m not going to yell at you,” he said quietly. “Jess said Nala was looking for a fight.”
I nodded. “She was.” I looked up into Han’s big brown eyes, resting my head in his lap. “But I was stupid.”
“You’re never stupid.”
“Yes I am. I feel like an idiot.”
“Don’t say that.”
‘What’d your parents say?”
“Well, my Dad’s kind of upset but I think my mom and Jess were able to calm him down a little bit.”
“Are you mad at me?”
“Why would I be?”
“Because I punched your sister.”
“Do you know how many times I’ve wanted to do that but never did?”
I laughed. “I think I feel better now.”
“I thought you would.”
“Should we go back downstairs?”
“Nah, the parties are over. And they’re so boring.”
“I said the same thing.”
Han gently brushed the hair away from my face and bent down pressing his lips against my lips. His were soft and inviting and I loved how they felt against mine. I parted my lips and allowed his tongue to enter my mouth.
I never realized how much I could love a person until I met Han. I never knew what being in love felt like. I was always against it but now, as I approached my wedding, I realized just how much I loved the feeling of being in love.
***
Day 3: The Bridal Shower
I woke up the next morning kind of late. I quickly got dressed and went downstairs to find my brother and apologize. I walked into the guest wing where my brother was staying with his family. I knocked on the door and Lilly, Chris’s wife, answered it. She was very petite with blonde hair and bright blue eyes. “Good Morning, Lauren,” she said cheerfully enveloping me in a hug and kissing me on the cheek.
“Morning,” I answered. “Where’s Chris?”
“At the beach teaching Caleb how to surf.”
“Thanks.” I paused, then spoke again. “How did he seem last night after he talked to me? Did he say anything?”
“No, he didn’t. What happened? Did you have a fight?”
“Yeah.”
“What about? What-“
I interrupted her. “Sorry Lilly, I have to go talk to him before the party.”
“I understand. Come by later!”
But I was already walking away.
***

“Chris!” I called as I ran out to the beach. “I need to talk to you!”
He looked up. “About?”
“Last night.”
He lifted Caleb off the surf board and tenderly dropped him in the water. “Stay here,” he commanded his son, walking over to the spot I currently occupied on the beach. “Yes?”
“I’m sorry”
“Don’t be. Is that what you came out here for?”
“Yeah. I felt bad.”
Then we hugged. I love my brother even though we fight.
“Aw, the stupid Americans are making up.” Nala sneered from behind me.
I spun around. “What do you want Nala?” I was done trying to be nice to her. I immediately started to laugh.
“What’s so funny, stupid American?”
“Nala,” I said between laughs. “Have you looked in the mirror lately?”
Her face softened as if she was letting herself off guard but she quickly tensed it back up into the same scowl I was used to seeing. My mom used to tell me if you kept a scowl or pout on for too long, your face would stay like that. I guess Mrs. Zilaconic never told her that.
“No, I haven’t. What are you talking about?”
“What’s on your nose?” I choked out; I was laughing so hard.
“Ha, ha very funny,” she said sarcastically. “That’s where you punched me stupid American.”
“So you need a cast?”
I turned to my brother who was laughing just as hard as me. Even Caleb, who had just joined us on the sand, was laughing quietly.
“Stop laughing stupid Americans!” Nala paused. “Stop laughing Mini American!”
“Caleb isn’t an American, he’s Italian.”
“Well then he’s a stupid mini Italian.”
“He’s a kid.”
“Everyone’s stupid if they’re related to you.”
“Daddy?” Caleb spoke hiding behind his Dad. “Why is she so mean to Aunt Lauren?”
“I don’t know Caleb,” Chris answered, bending down to scoop up his son.
“Silence you stupid Italian child!” Nala commanded.
Caleb started to cry and Chris started to walk back to the estate. I turned to Nala one last time before I followed my brother and nephew. “That was low, Nala. Even for you.”
***
I went into my room and got dressed for the party. The day’s color was green. I wore a pale green dress with these dark green heels. They were shorter than I was used to but ever since I broke my foot I had to wear shorter heels.
I went down stairs only to find no one there. Then I saw Han. “Han, where is everyone?” I asked leaning up to kiss my tall fiancé on the nose. “Getting ready.”
“But didn’t the party start already?”
“Oh, you were at the beach.”
“Yeah, and?”
“You missed the announcement.”
“About what?”
“We’re having a hurricane; We have to evacuate.”
“To where?”
“A shelter in Thailand.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, we don’t have much time; I’ll help you pack.”
“But what about our wedding?”
“I don’t know yet.”
“But we have to get married. “
“Don’t worry baby, we will. I promise.”
***
“We’re getting married where?” Rachel and I asked in unison.
“In the shelter.” Mr. Zilaconic explained for about the tenth time. I still couldn’t believe we were on a ferry to a hurricane shelter; all 850 of us. (The entire population of Kamswash and all 130 wedding guests)
“Do you want him to say it again?” Nala asked irritably from the bench that she occupied, sprawled out with a sun hat covering her face.
“What’s up with her?” I whispered to Han.
“She get’s sea sick.” He whispered back.
“She lives on an island.”
“That’s why she never leaves and wants to marry someone from Kamswash. Because she can’t really leave even if she wanted to. And her personality doesn’t make it any easier.”
That made me laugh so hard that I fell from my place in Han’s lap. We docked at Thailand and everyone dragged their allotted one suitcase (due to the’ one suitcase per persons over the age of 7’ rule at the shelter) I looked over at Jess who had a suitcase bigger than Mia who is 5’ 6” “Jess, I think that suitcase is too big.”
She pouted. “What? They said one suitcase and that’s what I have.”
“I guess”
Then I looked at Moshu and Han who had suitcases that could fit in Jess’s suitcase. I just laughed and walked over to where Nick was talking to Lindsey.
“Hey guys,” I said.
“Hey!” Lindsey chirped.
“Dude, your wedding’s toast,” Nick observed negatively.
“Nicholas!” Lindsey scolded lightly elbowing him in the ribs.
“You’re so cute when you’re mad,” he said kissing her on the nose.
“Hold it, hold it!” I interrupted. They turned and looked at me with questioning faces. “You’re cousins.”
“So?” Nick questioned. “Cousins can get married.”
“But that’s gross.”
Nick shrugged. “That’s love. It’s a crazy thing.”
Lindsey nodded. “We’re eloping when we get back home. The quicker the better.”
Their eyes met and they started to make out. I have no means to be a hypocrite or anything but the idea of Lindsey and Nick getting married was sickening to me.
I looked over at Mia and Rachel. Rachel made a gagging gesture while Mia just rolled her eyes.
***
“This is the shelter?”I looked up at the tall building that looked awfully similar to a jail. “Han?”
“Yeah?”
“Is this a jail?”
“Used to be.”
“Why’d you tell me that!?! Now it’s going to freak me out!”
“You asked.”
“Touché”
“I never get that.”
“Get used to it.”
“You’re mean.”
“Touché”
“Cut that out.”
“Maybe I don’t-“ I paused mid sentence. “Whoa.”
The building was freaky. It was all dark, there were cots set up everywhere, and it smelt like mold, feet, and sweat. I gripped Han’s hand tighter because I was truly scared.
I looked over at Mia, Rachel and Jess. No one said anything.
Not even Nala.
***
I sat on a cot and stared into space. I was upset; I didn’t want to get married in a dark dingy jail. I wasn’t even a prisoner but I certainly felt like it. Then I heard a shriek: Jessica. She jumped like a foot in the air and landed in her husband’s lap.
Choruses of ‘what’s wrong’ , ‘what happened?’ and ’are you alright?’ circled around the room. Jess caught her breath and spoke “There was a-a r-rat.” She choked out.
I ducked my head under the sheets I had put on my bed. There was something else Han didn’t know about me. I am absolutely petrified of rats and mice. I know, I take the subway and I live in New York City but I still can’t erase this horrible fear I have of those creatures.
“Lauren?” Han asked placing a hand on my shoulder.
I looked up. “Yeah?” I squeaked.
“You ok? You look really pale.”
“I- I’m fine.” I stuttered.
“You don’t look fine.”
“She has musophobia,” I heard my mom say.
“Phobia of rats and mice?” Han asked, his face tensing up. “Lauren, we’re getting married tomorrow and I know nothing about you.”
“Han, not here.”
“You know everything about me-“
“Han, stop.”
“How could you lie to me?”
“Han STOP IT!” I screeched running out of the shelter.
I didn’t care about the people screaming after me and telling me to come back. I just felt like a complete idiot. My Perfect Kamswash wedding was turning into a complete disaster.
And about to get worse.
***
“Miss, where do you think you’re going?”
I looked up to find myself face to face with a burly guard. He was bald with a beard and about 5 tattoos.
“I- um was-“
“Escaping from the shelter.”
“No.”
“Oh ok. Have a nice day!”
It would’ve been so much easier if it happened that way. But it didn’t happen that way. It happened more like this:
“Miss, where do you think you’re going?”
“I-um-was-“
“Escaping from the shelter.”
“No? I wasn’t?”
“Um yes you were. The town is under lockdown and for disobeying those rules you are under immediate arrest.”
“What?” I squeaked as I was picked up by the guard and thrown into a van.
“Oh no,” I whispered as the van drove farther and farther away from the shelter; I wasn’t going to get back anytime soon.
***
Han’s P.O.V
I stood in the middle of the shelter, motionless as I watched my fiancé leave. I couldn’t yell after her; I couldn’t move. I was just shocked. I don’t know what came over me; anger runs in my family, you’ve met Nala.
I looked over at Mrs. Phelps, Lauren’s mom. She had her head buried in her hands as Mrs. Johnson and Chris tried to comfort her. I saw my parents looking out the window and quietly discussing amongst themselves. Tuni, Rachel, Mikal, and Mia were all sitting on cots talking in hushed whispers. Everyone was probably talking about me.
I knew if the guard found Lauren, she would be arrested. So I grabbed a change of clothes for both Lauren and I and headed for the door. “Han, where are you going?” my mother asked me in Kamani.
“To save my fiancé.” I answered decidedly. Then I walked out that. And no one dared stop me.
***
Lauren’s P.O.V
The van finally screeched to a stop at a jail that looked much like our shelter; but bigger. Much bigger. The guard grabbed my wrists and thrust them behind my back, putting hand cuffs around them. Then if that wasn’t bad enough, he bound my ankles with a rope and picked me up as if I was a doll no one cared about.
He carried me past rows and rows of cells where people in orange uniforms-orange, my favorite color- scowled and made faces at me while shouting out phrases I didn’t understand. We stopped at a door at the end of the hall. The guard dropped me so he could open the door with a key. Then he picked me back up and threw me in the room.
It looked like a room from a mental institution. All the walls were rubber and there were no windows. My whole body ached and I missed Han. I understood why he was angry but Moshu and Jess knew nothing about each other and they’re perfect for each other.
I started to cry, something I had been doing a lot lately. “Nick was right, my marriage is toast,” I sobbed aloud.
***
“What’s this about toast?” a familiar voice spoke from behind me. I was so caught up in my own problems that I didn’t realize someone else was thrown in the room. I rolled over and saw Han standing there with only hand cuffs on. “Because I’m pretty hungry.”
“HAN!” I shrieked rolling over so I was at his feet. “I missed you.”
“Me too. I’m so sorry.”
“Me too. I want to get out of here.”
“Don’t worry. I came prepared.”
After a couple of minutes, Han managed to free himself from his hand cuffs. He took off my ropes and then took a bobby pin out of his pocket.
“A bobby pin, really?”
“Jess gave it to me. It’s to pick the locks.”
He freed me from the cuffs and pointed to a door in the corner of the room. “That’s the employee room. We’re going to put on guard uniforms so we can get out of here.”
And that’s what we did. I donned the baggy blue guard uniform and hat. I looked like a kid dressing up in their father’s work uniform. “Han,” I whispered. “This isn’t going to work.”
But it did. We made it all the way back to the shelter. Only to find no one was there.
***
“Where is everyone?” I asked feeling frustrated. “All this work and they left us!”
“Lauren, it’s ok, they left a note.”
“What does it say?”
“Lauren and Han, if you’re reading this you’ve escaped from that jail and found we are all gone. The hurricane has failed to hit Kamswash and we went home. We will come back for you if you’re not back in 3 hours. Love, everyone. P.s we wrote this at 3:30 so we will come back at 6:30. P.ss This is Rachel. P.sss Sorry we left, we were able to escape from the guards. P.ssss Haha that looks like a snake. P.sssss Ok, Mikal says I’m getting distracted and we have to go. P.ssssss we took your suitcases. P.sssssss Bye!”
“She has issues,” I said laughing. I looked at my watch. “It 5. We should get going.”
Then we strolled outside completely forgetting about the guards. And for the second time that day, we were arrested.
***
Moshu’s P.O.V
“We shouldn’t have left them,” I said to my wife as we unpacked our suitcases.
“It was a group decision. We’ll go back and get them.”
“I don’t think so,” my parents said walking into the room. They turned on a news channel where all the news was about Thailand. Hundreds of prisoners broke out of jail and there weren’t enough guards to keep them in order.
Jess gasped. “20 people dead. Please let them be ok.”
***
Lauren’s P.O.V
“Han? What’s happening?”
We were in the jail once again in that same room when we heard shrieks of people in the jail. Han went to the door and looked out the window in the top of the door. “The prisoners are rebelling,” he spoke calmly.
“WHAT?!? Where are guards?” I started to freak out. “They’re going to kill us! We’re going to die and I’m not going to get married or have a kid or buy a house or spend Christmas with your family…”
I trailed off and collapsed on the ground sobbing. Han picked me up. We’re getting out. He picked the lock only to find the employee room on fire.
“Run!” he yelled grabbing me. He picked the other lock and ran to where the prisoners were. They all stopped what they were doing and ran after us. We jumped into a nearby van and drove it to the shelter. We locked the door and slumped on a cot feeling victorious. “We lost them,” I heaved, trying to catch my breath. I looked at my watch; 7:00. “They’re not coming to get us.”
“I know. We have to get out here ourselves.”
I started to cough. “What’s that smell?”
“It smells like…” he paused. “FIRE! They’re burning the building!”
I jumped on the cot seeing the flames spread furiously around me. “What are we going to do?!”
He pointed. “The stairs!”
We quickly ran up the stairs but the fire still spread quick. “Han! A hose!” I pointed to a hose in the corner of a room.
“Good thinking.” He dragged the hose down the stairs and with an effort, put the fire out.
“Are the prisoners gone?” I asked. Han looked out the window and nodded. We ran to the dock and got on a ferry. After a near death experience, we were finally going back to Kamswash.
***
"I’m so happy you’re all safe!” I yelled sarcastically as we walked into the house.
“Lauren!” Rachel screamed hugging me. “I thought you were dead!”
“That’s comforting. You’re not even crying.”
“I was.”
“Yeah right.”
My brother and mom ran over to me hugging me as well. Everyone gathered in the great room for the party. But before we received our presents Han and I told our story of how we were almost killed because everyone decided to abandon us.
“Great to know you love us,” I added once we had finished.
“You’re right, Lauren, we hate you that’s why we’re giving you presents.” Jess answered.
“It’s not like you have a choice.”
So we sat down and opened our presents. Nothing special: blender, toaster, blender, toaster, pots, pan, bedding, pot, pans, blender, toaster, blender toaster, toaster oven…
You get the point.
***
Day 4: The ceremony
Bang bang bang bang bang.
I woke up on the morning of my wedding day… at 5 o’ clock? “I’m going to kill whoever’s at the door,” I muttered. I opened the door to find Han there. Ok, I take back what I said. “Hey baby, what are you doing here?”
“I don’t know.”
“But you came-“
“We sent him,” Rachel and Jess said popping out from behind him. “Time to get ready!”
“I’m going back to sleep,” Han muttered walking away.
“I love you,” I called after him.
“Love you too!” he answered.
“Now,” I said turning to the girls. “Why did you wake him up?”
“Because we knew you wouldn’t kill Han for waking you up. You love him too much.”
“True, true.”
“Now what do you want? The wedding starts in 7 hours.”
“I know, but we have a lot to do,” Jess said lugging her giant make up bag into my room.
We were doing each other’s nails when Mia came in, yawning. “Couldn’t you have come and gotten me instead of texting me? I’m right down the hall.”
“Yeah, but we’re busy here,” Rachel said finishing off my light blue nail polish. Jess took out her straightening iron. “Come on Mia, you’re the third bride, let me do your hair.”
***
After 7 whole hours of preparing, we looked like pictures of a magazine. Lindsey even joined us at around 7. It was 11:30 and we gathered in the great room to get ready to walk in. I was so nervous and happy and anxious it was ridiculous. We walked in, me with my mom, Rachel with her dad, and Mia with her dad. We all stood up at the front as the reverend went through the service.
I paid attention a little more this time since I was the one being married. The revered or Imanzi allowed us to sit down; the service was that long. He talked on and on and on about our commitment to each other. Then we performed the rite of marriage.
What this was, was the couple taking sand and poring it in a bottle. Then they lit a candle, and put it upside down in the sand so it lit on fire. Last, we poured water to extinguish the fire. It represented how we have duties as a married couple to work together.
After 7 and a half hours the reverend finally said “you may kiss the bride.” Cameras went off like crazy as Kamswash’s mayor’s remaining sons wed at the same time. It was long, but beautiful. I thought I would never get there, but I was finally married. And I was so happy.
Marriage Issues? Not a Chance; we made it in one piece.
***
There was a giant feast following the ceremony. Just what I need, to get fat before I get pregnant fat. One thing I learned about Kamswash: They are heavily into feasts. But I didn’t care. I was married to the greatest man in the world.
***

Day 5: The Reception.
We stayed up pretty late that night, talking and laughing and having a good time. Some of the locals stayed around and told funny stories. Even Nala stayed and laughed a little.
My favorite story was one Mrs. Zilaconic told about the boys when they were younger. Nala was 3, Tuni was 5, Mikal and Han were 6 and Moshu was 7. Moshu wanted to teach Nala how to surf (the boys already knew how because boys learn as early as 4 years old.) So they took Nala, a surf board and some tape down to the beach where Mrs. Zilaconic was down there laying. She thought it was adorable that the boys want to teach Nala how to surf but instead of teaching her, they taped her feet to the board and put her in the ocean. Maybe that’s why Nala’s so messed up.
The reception started at night so everyone slept in. I woke up at 12 and had a light breakfast. I changed into a bikini and went back into my room where Han was still sleeping. “Wake up sleepy head!” I screamed jumping on my husband.
“Do you have to keep doing that?”
“Yup.”
“Why are you in a bikini?”
“Teach me how to surf,” I paused. “ And not the way you taught Nala.”
He laughed. “I won’t. But what’s with this newfound enthusiasm?”
“I love you!”
“I knew that,” he said pulling me in for a kiss.
***
I was ready to tackle the waves once again. “You sure about this?” Han asked me.
“Positive.”
He helped me up on the board and we practiced my balance. After doing that, Han grabbed a board and we paddled out to the waves. Han saw an approaching wave, stood up and rode it like a pro. I saw a wave, stood up and got knocked out by it.
I fell off the board and was submerged under the wave. But I got back on. This was a way of life for Han and I was determined to learn. “You ok?” Han asked. I nodded and tried again and again and again and again and again.
I was ready to give up when I saw a nice wave. I got on the board, got ready, and rode the wave without getting knocked off! “Han! I did it!” I screamed swimming over to my husband and jumping into his arms. “I knew you could,” he said kissing me.
***
After surfing a little longer, we walked back to the house to get ready. “Han?” I asked.
“Yeah?”
“Are we going to continue living in the apartment?”
“I don’t know yet,” he paused. “Depends.”
“On?”
“Well if you have more than one kid, we should buy a house.”
“Where?”
“I don’t know.”
“Oh.”
“Where do you want to move?”
“Well I want to stay close to New York.”
“We’ll think about it when we get to it.”
“You’re right. I don’t know why I’m obsessing.”
***
This reception was probably even more fun than the last, there was good food, lots of dancing, and good music. And no one hurt themselves this time. At the slow dances, everyone danced. Nick with Lindsey, the brides, with their grooms, moms with dads etc. And the biggest surprise of all… Nala was dancing with Mia’s brother Nathaniel.
“Hey Han,” I said.
“Mhm?”
“Look at Nala.”
“Oh wow.”
Mia ran over with Rachel, Jess and their husbands close behind. “Guys! Did you see Nala and my brother?!?”
“And you’re happy!?!”
Mia shrugged. “Why not? Maybe they’ll get married.”
“Poor Nathaniel,” Han muttered.
“It’s better than Nick and Lindsey,” Rachel muttered.
“Oh come on, it’s cute,” Jess said.
“I guess,” Rachel muttered. A fast song was put on and we all danced the night away.
And most of the morning.
Seriously, it lasted until like 6 am.
***
Day 6: The Decision.
At almost 4 in the afternoon everyone finally dragged their asses out of bed. The 6 of us, Chris, Lindsey, and the rest of the wedding parties went into Mr. and Mrs. Zilaconic’s room to discuss where we would move to.
No one wanted to stay in Kamswash. Mikal and Rachel decided they wanted to move to Florida. “Florida?” I asked.
“Yeah,” Rachel said. “It’s warm, sunny and a pretty good place to raise a family.”
“Makes sense, Mr. Zilaconic said.
“What about you and Mia?” Mrs. Zilaconic asked Tuni.
“We’re going to stay in New York for now,” Tuni answered.
I looked at Han, he looked at me and we both spoke. “We’re moving to Long Island.”
“Long Island?” everyone questioned in unison. We had to show Mr. and Mrs. Zilaconic where it was on a ma because they had no clue.
“Why Long Island?” Jess asked.
“Well, after thinking about it for a long time, it’s a great place to raise a family, they have some good school districts, there are beaches to surf, lots of places for us to get jobs and it’s only about an hour from the city so we can still visit if we need to.”
“That’s where Moshu and I said we might go,” Jess said.
“Can we change our decision?” Mikal asked.
“Us too,” Mia spoke.
“Really?” Mrs. Zilaconic asked.
Everyone nodded.
“Good,” I said. “I couldn’t bear to be away from everyone. Then I looked over at Lindsey and Nick.
“You two still going to elope?”
“We don’t know yet.”
“Good,” I said. I need a good, old fashioned American wedding for now.
Everyone laughed and everyone was happy.
***
Day 7: The Departure.
It was the last day in Kamswash. The excitement had died down and everyone was in the airport going back to the United States.
“See you when we get back,” I said hugging Jess and Moshu. Rachel, Mikal, Mia, Tuni, Han and I, were all going on a couple honey moon in Bora Bora. A honeymoon, but together.
I got on the plane and sat next to my husband. “I love you,” I said kissing his nose. Then I put my head on his shoulder and slept the flight away.
***
1 month later:
“I can’t believe this day has come!” Rachel cried dramatically.
We had spent all week packing up all four apartments and the day had come to move out to Long Island.
“I’m happy,” I said.
“Why?” Jess asked hugging Moshu, crying. Mia was crying too.
“Guys, snap out of it! This is a new chapter in our lives. And we’ll still all be together. Just a little farther away.”
We had all gotten houses in Long Beach, a couple of houses away from each other. The good thing about Long Beach is it’s close to the water and it’s under one school district so our children will have a lot of friends in their schools.
We packed the last few boxes in our cars and drove away. Even I started to cry a little. I looked over at Han who was sitting in the passenger seat. “I’m glad,” I said.
“Me too.”
“Our child will be happy.”
“Or children.”
“Don’t bring that up. I’ll be getting fat enough.”
“You’ll be beautiful anyway.”
“You’re so sweet,” I said squeezing his hand.
And I drove to Long Beach with my best friends and their husbands to start a new chapter in our lives. Together. I’ll admit, it was a rocky road, we had some marriage issues before we even got married, but everything turned out perfect. We all had kids and it was fine… but wait, that’s a whole different story, one to be told at a whole different time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment! I'm working on a third one as we speak and I want to know if you like them.