Flutterbys

You make them do that.

They always attack whenever I see you. They swarm and flap their colorful wings in circles in the pit of my stomach, deeper and deeper until it hurts. Flutterbys, I like to call them. They aren’t butterflies, but another breed. Their wings flap faster, making their ascents and descents like roller coasters in my stomach.

You make them do that.

They hide in my rib cage like butterflies hiding in branches of a tree when I don’t have thoughts of you or see you. When your face colors the thoughts in my head they fly to my stomach like bats out of a cave.

I don’t mind them. I welcome the flutterbys because they make me all warm inside. Or maybe it’s you that makes me feel warm inside each time I see you. Each time your eyes light up when you talk about something precious to you, or when you laugh at something I said, your eyes crinkling up, your head thrown back as the beautiful sound of your laugh fills the air around us.

How do you do that?

How did it come to be that I saw you in this beautiful light, so new and crisp? Why is it I had never seen the glow you have, the sweetness in your voice when you speak? How is it that I had never noticed the multitude of shades of color your eyes have? That you speak the same soulful language I do?

How did my heart know that it was you that would create the flutterbys?