Status: Active.

Loca

Chapter 22

Troy’s POV

I hated myself for running away, but at the time I couldn’t handle Jacob’s accusations. Even if they were true. It was a realization I didn’t want to see.

I ran for a while, stopping when I felt my anger burn out and basically curling in a ball for a while as my thoughts remained empty with the packs absence.

Like Raphael said, being a wolf was easy for me; natural. I didn’t feeling anything stirring inside me as I took my rest before heading back to school for last period.

I walked into my final class, unsure about why I did except for the fact that I was going to go home with Bella and forget about everything else.

English was dull, as usual and the teacher was basically a foreign man with way too much hair in his ears and not enough on his head, but with an open opinion on everything.

He finished his lesson with time to spare today, and instead of dismissing us early he kept us in here so we could ‘study’ while we really just talked with whomever.

I honestly could’ve walked out, but seeing as I had no ride, that was kinda pointless.

A squeal was heard as a desk scraped across the floor and closer to mine but I was the only one to notice. I turned to see Embry with a miniscule smile on his face and it made me wince.

I remembered the miniature deal I had made with Jacob to set Embry and Danni up. That was the last time Jake had dragged me from class actually and it caused a bit of guilt to form.

“Yeah Embry?” I asked, trying to keep my expression normal. He smiled back, but a troubled look came into his eyes. “Have you seen Jacob?” were the first words to leave his mouth. I frowned before quickly hiding it and shrugging.

“Nope,” I said, popping the p and turning to a notebook I had with me. Embry frowned now too. “He was here this morning…” he started, his eyebrows furrowing while he eyed me.

I smiled blankly, “Yeah well, that was the last time I saw him.”

And before he could respond, because that was obviously the response he’d been looking for, the bell rang and I hurried out of the class room.

Bella came out, getting in the truck and chattering away while I stared out the window. Once when we were on the main road I could’ve sworn I saw a blur of russet brown fur blurring beside us but the trees were too thick and I couldn’t catch a sent in the wind.

I had never seen Jacob in wolf form, but I knew it would’ve been him.

XxX

Five days have passed since Jacob found out; the weekend came again. He avoids me like the Plague and I don’t even look at him in the halls, although it kills me to feel his staring and his friend’s glares on my skin.

They all know; the whole pack is in on it and I have a feeling it’s not the only thing they’re mad about. Jake…Jake looks so wrecked whenever he sees me, and he had a right to. I betrayed him; went behind his back like our friendship meant nothing to me,although it did...so much.

So much more than it should.

I was sad, and I didn’t do much for a while. Whenever I came home I went straight to my room and that was it. Hector came to see me twice, to check up on me in case my powers suddenly surfaced but he didn’t seem to notice anything off about me otherwise do my awesome acting skills.

Part of me recognized how Jacob would’ve spotted in an instant that I was upset, although he had known me far less long, and hadn’t been dating me for two years.

I pushed these thoughts aside though, not allowing myself to think about him.

XxX

Charlie was waiting for me when Bells pulled up after a very long trip to the grocery store. I only came so she wouldn’t worry and to make sure she got more ice cream for my comfort. I was going on day seven of no Jacob and I was surprised I hadn’t died of missing him yet.

Besides that though, there was a grave expression on my dad’s face and he seemed tense. Actually, I was surprised he was home at all, seeing as he usually got home much later on Saturdays.

Bella seemed to agree as her eyebrows crumpled and she quickly helped me get a load of bags from the back. If Charlie wasn’t here I would’ve been able to carry six times the bags as I was now.

“What’s up dad?” I asked, walking up to him with my arms full. I wasn’t even breaking a sweat but Bella was struggling a bit with her cargo; where’s that vampire when you need him…?

“Troy,” Charlie started, sounding strained, I made a nod with my head for him to follow me while I put my bags on the kitchen floor and turned to him.

“What’s up?” I repeated, as I had earlier. He cleared his throat, “Troy we need to go to Port Angeles for a little while, maybe the rest of the day. The – uh…your mother’s lawer managed to dig up a copy of her will that was on file and we need to be there.”

My face went blank.

My mom’s will had apparently gone missing along with the fire. Which was why I was surprised that now, some months later I was finally going to find out about my inheritance.

I doubt there’d be much.

Everything we owned was ashes now, and my mom was never the best when it came to financials. She worked a night shift and there always seemed to be a stretch for money at our house. I never asked for much, and always felt guilty about it when I did, although my mom was more than cheerful about sharing any spare change she had with me. She liked giving me things when she could.

“Oh,” I mumbled quietly, being snapped into the present after a rush of still painful flashbacks. He nodded, seeming to be in about as much pain as I was.

He told me to get dressed, something besides sweats and a t-shirt and I walked upstairs. For once since the fight with Jacob, he was the last thing on my mind.

I changed into a think black tank top with a see through cover shirt over top. I slid on some white jeans and black and white converse and took the stairs downstairs two at a time.

I almost ran into Bella, who had been debriefed already. “You going?” she asked, not entirely rhetorically and I nodded.

“Did you wanna come too Bella?” I asked feeling was less nervous than Charlie was after a few seconds of digesting the news. Bella shook her head, “Nah, I’ll let you go, you can handle it on your own; I’ve got laundry to catch up on anyways.”

She smiled and I smiled weakly back. “You would spend you Saturday alone in a house doing laundry,” I muttered. She stuck her tongue at me before blushing.

“Well Edward did mention he was stopping by…” she started.

I laughed and walked past her, heading out to the cruiser where my dad was just getting in without any other words to say to me.

It was a long drive, both of us tense for different reasons.

We pulled up to some big building in Port Angeles with a bunch of smaller companies running in it and to the lobby that was dead of all activity. No one greeted us as we entered the elevator and went to the floor we were supposed to be at.

Dad checked in with some lady at a desk and we headed through some more hallways to what appeared to be a conference room.

There were four guys in here, one with papers in his hands and wearing a suit, who I presumed to be my mom’s lawyer (I’d never met him) and the other three…staring at me.

For a second it was only silence, three pairs of deep brown eyes looking at me as if I was a ghost before one of them stood slowly. He looked the youngest out of the three, with dark spiky hair and pale skin.

“Trinity?” he asked his voice deep but comparatively timid. His eyes bore into mine and I saw a familiarity there I couldn’t understand. “Do I…know you?” I asked quietly, semi knowing I did but unable to remember how.

A second guy stands up, and I realize he’s identical to the third, both tan with dark hair. “You should,” he grumbles, seeming first a little angry and then seeming sad, “But then again maybe not,”

The first guy looks sad too and Charlie wraps an arm protectively around me. His eyes narrow at the three guys and I wonder where his authority came from.

“Does he normally talk in riddles?” I asked the third man, the second guy’s twin, who had yet to speak to me. His face relaxed abruptly and he laughed.

Before we could say anything else though Charlie found his voice again, “Who are you?” he asks, barely intimidating at all.

“I’m Alejandro,” the first guy says.

“I’m Shawn,” the second says.

“Im Christopher,” The third laughing one said. He smiled crookedly at me and his brothers followed. Alejandro had the widest of them all.

The lawyer cleared his throat awkwardly after interfering with our brief meeting.

“Well now that you four have met, I think we out to get down to buisiness,” he said, shifting from side to side.

Suddenly a thought hit me.

“Wait,” I started, looking to the threesome. “Why are you here?” I asked bluntly, shrugging out of my dad’s grip and ignoring his dropped jaw at my directness.

All three, including the tan ones paled, but it was the lawyer who answered.

“They are here for the same reason you are; to hear the reading of Marisol’s will. She specifically wanted all of her children to be present when it was done.”

My heart dropped into my stomach.

All of her children?