Status: Active.

Loca

Chapter 43

Troy's POV

When I finally woke up, I had a hard time deciding on what actual reality was and what had been a dream.

My whole night had apparently been concocted of my imagination.

As if things weren’t hard enough already! My dreams had never been that vivid or intense, much less that intimate. I mean, sure I had dreamed of marrying Jacob before, but never had I dreamt of a...a what? A honey moon...type...situation.

And now, to make things worse in the already impossible way, I was going to have to pretend that things were normal when I got home or even sooner, when I called Jake.

I had promised to do so, and that was gonna be hard to. Jake knew whenever I was acting...off.

Without him reading my face though, he'd have to go along with whatever explanation for that I gave him.

Huffing, I pushed those thoughts aside and started to deal with reality. Started to think of what would happen when I got back home.

Like it wasn't hard enough already to pretend with him.

This would only make it worse. A million times worse than when I dreamed of marrying him, because it wasn't just like it was a dream that got carried away.

This dream meant something real. Something I tried to fight so hard that it was exhausting me. A fight I was losing horribly, although I didn’t know if it was for better or worse.

I wanted him to say he loved me. Needed to feel him touch and hold and kiss me, and that wasn't my imagination.

Jacob's POV

The last thing I needed after a night like that was to go to school the next morning.

I felt like hell, and I was pretty sure I looked it. I don't know how I managed to drive myself, much less make it through the morning.

The whole day was a blur in my mind, the only times standing out when people would mention Troy, asking where she'd run off too, among other things. Funny how that was also how most of my life had been recently.

Sinking down into my chair at lunch, I started playing with my food, wondering if I was too exhausted to eat it or if I could summon the energy it required to chew.

"Hey Jake," Seth said, flopping down. Damn he was loud.

I nodded to him weakly, but didn’t raise my eyes to look at him. I could tell he was confused though because he asked Embry, "What’s the matter with him? He was fine last night..."

"Lover Boy's tired." Embry explained and I raised my head to see him pushing his food around with a smirk on his face.

"What'd you do man, spend all night crying over Troy?" Paul grinned taking a seat and joining in the conversation. He seemed a little, I don’t know...happier than usual. It was weird.

I glared at him, and pointedly ignored all of them.

"Seriously Jake, what’s up?" Seth asked, bouncing in his seat. It wasn’t hard to remember he was a kid sometimes - he made it too easy with his childishness.

I shrugged, "I just didn’t get a lot of sleep last night, I...had a pretty bad fight with Bella on the way home," I gave them an alternate reason, not wanting Paul to know how close to home he'd hit and frowned deeply, remembering.

"Troy's sister?" Austin asked from across the table. His look reminded me of Danni and Jason's last night. What did they know that I didn't?

"What happened?" his girlfriend asked, hand on his arm.

I shook my head, staring at my palms. I didn’t want to say it out loud. Afraid that it'd make what I'd done real.

"She punched me...I’m pretty sure it broke her hand too." I said and was greeted with wolf whistles from Embry, Quil and Paul, and a confused look from Seth, and the rest.

"Why would she do that?" Kim asked, pausing in eating her salad.

I looked at my hands again, unable to meet the many pairs of eyes on me. I swallowed loudly, debating what to do before I breathed in a deep breath and took the plunge.

"I kissed her."

Troy's POV

Chloe sang along to the car radio, as I drove her car. She would pause every few seconds to give me directions to the mall we were headed to.

Absolutely displeased with my wardrobe, she had insisted on this trip today.

Looking for anything in the way of distractions and busywork today, I had reluctantly agreed to go with it, warning her to not be offended if I objected to any of her clothing choices for me.

Since Forks or La Push didn't have a mall, and since it was probably twice the size of the one I always went to in Port Angeles, it was easily the biggest shopping place I'd been to.

And Chloe knew it like the back of her hand, greeting people by name, heading directly to the stores she wanted without any hesitation at all. I could tell from minute one that I was in for an ordeal. She had a game plan.

"I know you like white, blue, and black...but your skin tone calls for red," Chloe said as she handed me a few tops. Everything I told her basically went in one ear and out the other. LIke how I absolutely refused to wear the girly stuff.

I was on the brink of suicide by our third trip to the fitting rooms. Damn the 8 item maximum.

I mean, I appreciated what Chloe was doing for me, but I liked my wardrobe the way it was, even if it was limited.

I guess when I got home I could give some of the stuff to Jason and Chloe would never know. Jaz wouldn't mind some of the things that were filling up our bags. She was more reasonable than me.

Jacob's POV

Once I admitted what I'd done, most of the table nearly took me out. I was hit and yelled at by majority of the guys and Troy's friends.

I had no idea that I had messed up that badly before it was pointed out, and if I regretted it before, I was completely mortified now. What the hell had I been thinking? Not only had I let Bella win, but I had basically thrown the way I felt about Troy under the bus.

I could see why they were upset. No doubt Troy was going to feel pretty bad when she came back and found out, and it'd be even worse if she heard it from someone else.

After realizing this, I begged them not to let her know before I could and they seemed to understand.

I wasn’t sure they'd listen, but I just had to hope I could talk to her first.

There was still a loose end tied up. I had to get to Bella and apologize, convince her not to mention this to her sister, at least until I talked to her first.

High tailing it out of the lunchroom, finding Bella was an absolute necessity. For all I knew she could’ve already called and told Troy what an idiot I was. I wouldn't put it past her.

I spotted her and Edward walking, Bella smiling and happy up until she followed Edward's gaze and our eyes met. Her face immediately turned sour.

"Bella," I said loudly, while she glared at me.

Edward seemed the least bothered out of the two of them, calmly watching my face...maybe it was because he knew why I was here.

He knew that I had fucked up in saying something I didn’t mean. He knew I didn’t love Bella, even though that was what she thought.

"Go away Jacob," she snapped stumbling when she tried to walk away. I was about to chase her when the bloodsucker saved me the trouble, grabbing her arm and stopping her.

"Bella, Jacob needs to talk to you, its rather important." Edward said, and she pouted. "Edward..." she started, but he shrugged and walked away while she gaped behind him.

"Bella," I said as she glared at Edward's back before turning her look to me. It was kind of sad watching her try to be intimidating. It would've helped her look scary if she was actually mad, but her face was way too annoyed for that.

"Um, right, so...about yesterday," I stuttered, thinking of the impossibility that she had already ruined my chances with the love of my life.

"Jake," Bella said, sounding exasperated "There is nothing more to say. I love Edward and if you can't deal with that, maybe you should just stay away. I know Troy would prefer that too." Her voice snarled at my girl's name, and my heart dropped.

"Did you tell her?" I whispered, my voice quivering just slightly. She shook her head. "I couldn’t call her, but I will. She has the right to know."

"Bella...Bella please. I didn't mean...I love her Bella. I don’t know why I said what I did. I was angry and I didn’t mean a word of what I said to you."

She looked shocked "None of it?" she gasped. Her face darkened. People were staring at us but I could care less.

"No. I’m sorry...but its good though right? You don’t have to worry about me." I said, getting anxious. Who knew how she'd react to this.

She eyed me carefully "What do you want from me Jake? Since supposedly you weren’t in control of your words," her arms folded across her chest. I closed my eyes and tried to control my temper. My hands were trembling.

"Just let me tell Troy what we...I did. Can you give that to me Bella?" I asked opening my eys to see that she was actually considering it. She was taking me seriously at least.

"If she asks...for details about that night, I won’t be able to lie. But I won’t tell her as long as she doesn’t look to closely." Bella said. I smiled, grabbing her in a hug that really didn’t help my situation.

"Thank you," I muttered and she gasped. "Can’t breathe, Jake," she choked dramatically and I dropped her. I rolled my eyes. I'd hugged her sister way harder than that and she had no complaints. Even before she became...less breakable.

"Thanks Bella," I tossed over my shoulder as I walked away, the emotions twisting and churning inside me.

Troy's POV

"Well, we definitely made progress today." Chloe said, munching on a cinnamon pretzel as we rested our feet. I don’t know how she wasn’t rolling on the ground in pain from those heels of hers. I was in cushioned flip flops and my feet ached. Thank god for fast healing.

"Yeah," I agreed, being genuine. After Chloe had let lose in her stores, I convinced her to try some I wanted to explore.

I got some things I wanted, and then after that, the things she offered weren’t so bad...Hell I even picked some stuff out.

I was happy with my stuff, and also, now that she knew and had an idea of what I liked, it was easier for the two of us to compromise.

Chloe nudged my shoulder with hers, smiling away. "You aren’t so difficult...but you know what I think?" she said and I shook my head. "What do you think?"

"I think...that when your mother was alive -I winced- and she would take you shopping, that you'd have her buy you boys clothes because they were less expensive and choicy."

I frowned at her. "I like the way I dress," I muttered, biting my pretzel before avoiding her gaze. She shrugged. "Maybe. But maybe you learned to like it...and now you put up with it cause' it’s what your used to." she said simply.

I don’t know who the hell told her about my mom’s financial issues, but I guessed it had something to with her lawyer hubby. My lips pressed in a hard line as I glared at an advertisement.

"Can you handle a few more shops?" Chloe asked, changing the subject. I nodded, not really in the mood to, but willing enough to put up with it so long as we didn’t have to talk about anything mom-related.

XxX

"I think you got beat AJ," I muttered to Shawn, slicing into a thick piece of steak, leaking soy sauce. When the boys had said he couldn’t cook, they had been lying horribly. He was an AMAZING cook.

Shawn grunted and smirked, twirling a knife expertly around in his hand and Alejandro stuck his tongue out at him. Chris nudged his twin and turned attention to me, "Chef's skills," he winked and I laughed.

Armando grunted and threw down his napkin whilst muttering prayers in Spanish so that god might help him make it to his room before he exploded.

I smiled dryly at that and squashed down on the lump in my mashed potatoes.

Chloe ate way more than she claimed she should've, convincing me that she'd be at the gym tomorrow to pay for it.

AJ and the boys rolled their eyes and we all decided to watch a movie in the Theater room, which was the size of Charlie's living room.

There was a couch and then two recliners on the side of it, and then a row of big seats in the back that looked like they actually belonged in a fancy movie theater. There was a trap like a green screen and a projector that played DVD's.

I lay out on the couch and AJ walked over and lifted my upper torso up so my head was in his lap while Chris did the same so my feet were in his. Guess they wanted the couch too.

"Don’t let me fall," I warned, and they completely ignored me while Chloe and Shawn set up the projector.

Armando had actually made it back to his room, and I knew that he'd be sleeping off the ten pounds he'd just eaten.

"What are we watching?" AJ asked, tugging my hair while I swatted at his hand. Chloe came over and flopped into one of the two recliners that accented the couch while AJ took the other.

"Triple X," Shawn said and I shot a cautious look at Chloe. I knew that movie practically by heart and I wondered if she could take it.

There were some pretty awkward scenes in there for company, which I'd learned when Katara walked in on me, Hec and Jas watching and almost had a heart attack.

"Yes!" Chris pumped a fist in the air and Chloe giggled at his childishness. I guess it was one of his favorites too, which made me a bit more confident about this.

I don't even think I made it through the whole movie before I passed out and someone - AJ I think, carried me to bed.

Jacob's POV

My evening was interrupted suddenly by the long piercing howl that tore through the night. I cussed and abandoned the dinner I was having with Billy before tearing out the door.

Shudders ran through me as I stripped down and tied my clothes to my ankle before phasing and tearing through the woods.

The babble of voices filled my head almost immediately, and I tried to pick up on them to sense if there was something wrong. My mind flashed to Paul and Jared, who were guarding Bella at my insistence unfortunately.

If I could take back offering to help protect Bella, I so would. My confessing my "love" for her just made things awkward for everyone.

No kidding Leah snapped. She had a strong hate for vampires. And Bella. And Troy. Come to think of it she hated just about everyone.

No, not everyone. Just everyone she's ever met, Seth piped and Leah growled. I don’t recall her ever meeting Troy or the leeches, but I didn’t say anything.

What's up Sam? I asked him, picking up my run as Leah did. She was maybe a football field away from me, the two of us running parallel to each other. I knew she'd make comments about my speed if I took it easy and I really wasn’t in the mood tonight.

Sam's mind was full of blurring images of the Cullen’s, Seattle, Bella...Troy…and separate members of her pack. I caught on quickly.

They want us to go scouting with them? I thought, the idea absolutely repulsive to me. How any of us could stand to take a road trip with the leeches was even impossible to think about.

What, the hell? Paul was asking, just now joining us. I shuddered when I saw where he'd just been.

All of you should get here before we discuss this, Sam said with impatience. I picked up my run once again and soon enough was clearing the undergrowth of the cliff we often had our bonfires on.

Memories flashed through my mind and I shut them down before they could start the aching, or someone could start complaining about it. I didn't want to be a nuisance.

Ugh can we do this human? Quil asked, not noticing me but cringing from beside Paul. Paul let out a wolfish grin, not at all ashamed and Sam agreed.

Leah stayed put and phased, causing some of the guys to run back in the cover of the trees, and the more fearless, or maybe the more impatient stayed and changed right in front of her.

I was one of the less shy, but I couldn’t help but wonder if since Troy's pack was mostly male, the guys had gotten a glimpse of her. Jealousy boiled within me as I considered that thought. Especially when I thought of her boyfriend getting a good enough look.

It was a relief to have my thoughts to myself, and not worry about being a burden to anyone.
“Alright, so as I was saying, seeing as Jacob has gotten us involved with Bella’s vampires-” I wasn’t sure if Sam meant the Cullen’s or those who had been hunting her but either way I didn’t want to be a part of this.

As it was, everyone in the pack shot me aggravated looks when that was brought up. The only ones who didn’t were Embry and Quil, who simply grimaced at the thought of what I dragged them into.

Sam ignored the pack’s reactions and continued, “-the Cullen’s feel that our presence isn’t just needed here in Forks, but that our services are needed Seattle with them. They have a sort of observation mission planned.” Sam said and when no one said anything he went into detail.

“They want to check out a hunch they have about a vampire army rising in Seattle. In case they encounter a problem, which they don’t plan to do, the pack members with them can contact the rest of us for backup, since someone will always be on patrol. They only need about one group of volunteers. You’ll leave tomorrow and be back in about a week, give or take.”

Once Sam says the word volunteers, suddenly everyone is relaxed. No one was going to have to go with the leeches. Only if you wanted to.

“What exactly does going along entail?” Jared asked, shifting from foot to foot. His girl was gone too; she had left a few days before Troy to visit some family members in Olympia.

Sam started to go into detail but I wasn’t really paying attention. All I could think of was how badly I needed a distraction from Troy, and how Jared was in the same situation because of Kim.

Should I be thinking like he was? Should I be occupying my attention elsewhere so I didn’t have to think too much? Should I be doing something useful with my time instead of alternating between schoolwork, patrol, and moping?

And most importantly, was that exactly what Troy was doing?

It seemed odd how Troy just randomly up and left. Ever since the camping trip though, she’d been...off.

Sad or angry, and even a little distant with me, sending a text instead of a goodbye until her brother’s convinced her otherwise.

I had just passed this all off as her missing everyone since she was leaving. After all, that’s what I was feeling.

But what if it was more? What if Troy was mad at me and that’s why she left? Had I done something to upset her on the camping trip? Butting heads with her boyfriend could’ve done it. Maybe she wanted a break from both of us.

The what ifs were too much to handle.

I found myself agreeing, after Paul, and Sam was pleased. He hadn’t expected that many volunteers in the first place and had this whole speech prepared.

I didn’t know what Paul’s reasons were, and I didn’t much care. All I cared about was the fact that this was something I needed to do for myself.

Besides, I’m sure things with Bella weren’t going to get much better and some distance from her might change her mood a little.

With the meeting dismissed, I didn’t have the patience to phase and listen to the pack’s thoughts. There would be too many questions and, most likely, snide comments from Leah. I didn’t want to listen to any of that right now.

I started walking as a human, brushing off Embry and Quil’s offers to come with and started thinking, my feet finding their way without conscious command from my brain.

I didn’t know why it took me so long, but after a while I realized I wasn’t taking the usual route home, but finding an unused path that led around the cliff side.

Not having anything better to do, I decided to follow it as opposed to going home. It didn’t seem too impossible to travel, and I was curious as to where it led.

After about ten minutes I had made a huge half circle and it was getting dark, with the terrain more difficult to follow.

Still, I was stubborn in wanting to know where it led so I kept going up until it led to what appeared to be almost a natural wall of wildlife. Thick trees and vines and other green foliage grew together to make an impenetrable barrier between what I assumed to be the cliff side and the sea.

I sighed at having wasted my time, and was turning to leave when I spotted it.

It looked like just a dip in the uneven ground. But it wasn’t. It was a hole, obvious once you knew what you were looking at. It was about three feet long and when I looked down it there was a ledge that sprung out from the bluff.

Not thinking it through, I got down and crawled through it, luckily not falling to my death in the waters below, although I’m not so sure it would’ve ended me.

The hole led to the outcropping of a cliff, about ten feet long and thirty feet across so I could walk around. The end of first beach was visible if I peered over to the far right of the cliff.

The sun was in the process of setting, making a brief but welcome appearance today and it lit the water on fire, the waves curling and flaming as they crashed against the bottom of the rocky ledge. Quite simply, it took my breath away.

And immediately, I knew I had to show Troy.

XxX

After tearing myself away from the place I’d discovered, and running home as a human so no one else could see it, I found it to be almost nine at night.

Worried I hunted down my phone, aching in the pit of my stomach as I realized I might’ve missed a call from Troy.

Luck was on my side tonight. She had only called three minutes ago, and that was the only time. Collapsing on my bed, I hoped that she would answer and redialed as quick as I was able.

“Hello?” Troy asked, sounding just as out of breath as she made me feel. An uncontainable smile spread across my face.

"Hey Troy," I mumbled, closing my eyes and smiling even wider. Her voice eased a huge amount of the harsh and unforgiving pain in my chest, but also left a sweet ache behind.

"Jake," she breathed weakly. Sounded like she missed me too…well, actually it always did. I wasn’t sure if that was my imagination or not though.

"How are you?" I said, my voice barely above a whisper. I was afraid of speaking louder for way more reasons than just the fact that my dad was sleeping next door.

Talk to me. I need to hear your voice. Even if you’re not saying you love me.

"Completely exhausted." she admitted with a small laugh that proved it. If she only had the slightest idea how much I wanted to have her next to me right now.

"I miss you," I need you. I love you.

"I know..." Troy stated sadly. Was she tired of me telling her that? Probably. It didn’t make it any less true though.

"I'll be back soon Jake," she said in a useless attempt to cheer me up.

"I'm gonna go crazy until then." When you get back...I’m never letting you go.

I surprised even myself with that thought, and I started to get worried that I might actually do it. It wasn’t like I could control myself when it came to her.

"I know," Troy muttered, and I was at a loss of what to say. I guess she figured that, because she dropped a bomb on me once it was apparent the conversation was already pointless.

"So were you planning on telling me that there was a vampire in my room?" she asked. My heart dropped, but then I remembered that I hadn’t been keeping that from her, I had just forgotten about it.

Funny how hostile vampires hunting her sister, seemed less significant than my dissatisfaction with our relationship status.

"Sorry, that's pretty much the last thing on my mind right now," I admitted sheepishly. I was pretty sure she believed me too. She knew when I was lying.

"What’s going on?" she asked timidly, afraid of my answer. I smiled a little at her concern. It never failed to make my heart swell when I found proof she cared about me.

I tried to find the words, but none came that could make it right. "I...I’m not gonna be able to take your calls for the next few days." I muttered, chickening out. I had apparently decided to tell Troy when she got home.

"Why?" Troy voice was mixed with surprise, curiosity, and maybe, a hint of sadness.

"Sam's got us working with the bloodsuckers on a project. The visitor in your room may just have been the tip of the iceberg as far as the Cullen's are concerned."

Troy took in a deep breath and muttered a few incoherent sentences.

“When do you get home?” she said and this time there was no mistaking that she was sad. It was all over her tone and the way her voice nearly cracked.

“Around the same time you do,” I murmured. Was this how she felt saying goodbye to me? If it was I didn’t like it.

“Oh,” she whispered, and really, what else was there to say?

I understand why you left now Troy…you needed a break, just like I need one...

“What exactly are you doing there?” Troy asked, sounding more desperate for conversation that legitimately curious.

“Keeping an eye out I guess…helping the Cullen’s with whatever they need. Calling for help if something goes wrong…” I chuckled at the thought.

“Sounds…interesting.” Troy stated and I laughed so loud that I had to get up and check if I’d woken my dad. I didn’t thankfully.

“Probably not nearly as interesting as California.” I muttered as I shut my door. Troy paused for a while.

“No, probably not,” she agreed, and her tone of voice caught my attention.

“Did something happen?” I asked abruptly. Worry immediately working its way into my system as I thought of what Troy could possibly have not told me yet.

She chuckled darkly “I’m surprised Paul hasn’t told you yet. He’s better at keeping secrets than I gave him credit for.”

Troy told Paul? That made absolutely no sense! Since when did she tell him or…anyone for that matter, things before she told me.

“What didn’t Paul tell me,” I asked, slowly and unhappily. What didn’t you tell me?

“I went roller skating with some friends I made yesterday…and there was this guy, who um, basically slapped my ass as he was going past.” I started breathing heavy and Troy stopped, not continuing, although she didn’t really need to. I knew her.

“You beat him up, didn’t you?” I growled, not mad at her in the slightest for doing what I’d have done if I was there. I started trembling as I thought of another man laying his hands on what was mine.

No. Not mine. Troy wasn’t mine.

“Yeah,” Troy admitted, sounding embarrassed, but not ashamed. Silence overcame us as we both waited for each other to say something.

“I…I really hope that you don’t end up in that situation again while I’m a thousand miles away.” I whispered. Which basically translated to: “you need to stop going places where there are guys without me being there with you,” and I was sure Troy got the message.

“That won’t happen again.” She mumbled, which I guess was the most reassurance she could give me.

I smiled just slightly, but not much.

“I’m gonna go Jake,” she said and I heard the ruffling of fabric. Closing curtains maybe? I wondered if she had seen the sunset like I had, and my mood brightened as I thought of how I’d show her the place I’d found as soon as we both got back.

“I should too, I’m heading out tomorrow.” I told her.

“Well…goodnight then,” She whispered, her voice sad again. I didn’t know whether to smile at the way she’d miss me, so I just said “Sweet dreams Troy,” and hung up.

I fell back into my bed and rolled over, thinking about the cliff and Troy to distract myself from guys with wandering hands and bloodsuckers with agendas.

Troy’s POV

Another lonely morning hit me as I woke up to silence.

Cupcake was curled up in my bed and I was careful not to disturb him as I got up. I headed out into the kitchen wondering about checking out the city today.

I really wanted to use my wolf form, but I didn’t know the city well enough just yet. There weren’t enough places that I could use as cover or escape routes so that was out until I got my bearings.

Half way through making myself breakfast, Cupcake came padding into the room, a sort of betrayed look in his eyes like he was hurt I left him.

To make up for it, I fed him some of my bacon, not giving a fuck about Armando’s “no feeding the dog” rule.

Making living creatures eat dried who-knows-what every day should be classified as third degree animal abuse.

As we were munching away at our burnt breakfast, a car pulled up in the driveway. I didn’t know the guys were expecting anyone, and was debating whether to pretend not to be home or answer the door when the decision was made for me.

Cupcake barked happily and ran to the door, and as I was following him the door opened with the key.

A loud female accent boomed throughout the house while I froze, watching a Hispanic woman enter the house, taking no notice of me since she didn’t expect anyone to be here at the moment from seeing the empty drive.

Her arms were full of shopping bags as she leaned down and fawned over Cupcake as if it was a reunion for the two of them, which I guess it must’ve been.

I didn’t know her, but she belonged here more than I did. That much was obvious.

Realizing she wasn’t alone, the woman looked up, and her expression changed, so that I was sure it suddenly matched mine, first surprise at finding there was a stranger here and then a mix between unwanted confusion and unpreparedness. And even pain.

Time stood still for a second, and then launched forward to fast for me to get a hold of, each second tightening around me until I felt as if I was being strangled.

My head started throbbing, and I was pretty sure I was about to either burst into a million pieces, or send something metal bursting into a million pieces.

“Who are you?” the woman whispered sharply, her accent catching in an odd place. It was enough to tear me out of my private mental breakdown.

“Trinity Marx,” I mumbled, not realizing until after the words came out that I had told her my name and not my nickname. For some reason I felt that the nickname wouldn’t mean much to her. But my real name did.

“Marx?” she repeated, her voice sounding far away as she processed this.
She started mumbling in Spanish and put a hand to her forehead dramatically before collapsing on the couch.

I didn’t know this woman.

I had never seen or heard about her in my life…and yet…looking at her features and hearing her words made it as clear as day that she and I were related, which made no sense.

Sure my mother had kept secrets from me before. My inheritance and brothers were nonexistent up until about a week ago.

But I had never directly asked her if she had any other children, because I didn’t think of it, and my mother’s money wasn’t really any of my business when she was alive.

This was different. I had asked my mother if I had any family. Aunts or uncles or cousins or grandparents and she had shaken her head no with each one. End of story. I never questioned it.

Seeing this woman brought back a million truths about her family that my mother had told me, and how easily I had believed them. My grandparents died when she was only a year older than I was now. My mother was an only child. She had no cousins.

One or maybe even more of those truths wasn’t actual fact. My mother had lied again, and I was running out of space to forgive her.

The woman’s mumblings became less and less understandable as she went on but it was clear she was upset…maybe even more so than I was.

“Marisol is your mother?” the stranger asked, in English, only a bit louder than her mumblings so I didn’t catch on right away. I nodded, knowing as well as she did that she already had the answer. “Yes. She’s my mother.”

There was joy in her eyes in place of the doubt, although the shock lingered.

The woman was hugging me so fast I didn’t see it coming even with my wolf reflexes…I think I was still out of it honestly. I didn’t know werewolves could be caught that off guard by a mere human, but maybe they could go into shock.

She was abruptly laughing, crying, squealing, cursing whilst also murmuring the word “sobrina” over and over again. None of this was helping my already jumbled head, but I was able to understand at least what I was to this woman. I was her niece.

“Who are you?” I choked as she crushed me to her full chest. She pulled away and her delusional face was almost funny as she told me, “I’m your mother’s sister. My name is Tia-Aurora Rosa Marx, but everyone calls me Tia Aurora or just Tia.” She says with her thick accent, practically bouncing with excitement.

She was my aunt. I had an aunt. My mom had a sister. A sister she lied about.

“Everyone calls me Troy,” I say, and she accepts this while Cupcake whines and nudges my leg. I roll my eyes at him. I’m trying to have a moment and he needs attention, but then I smile.
“How did you get here? I knew that my sister died…but I didn’t know that you existed…and Armando didn’t tell me-” she trailed off and her eyes darkened dangerously.

“Armando!” she exclaimed as she began pacing.

“That snake!” How could he keep this from me!” she snarled, pacing faster with each curse that fell from her lips before she fished a hot pink phone out of her purse.

She jabbed her fingers against the touch screen to dial his number and then groaned when it appeared she got his machine.

She left a nasty message in Spanish I was glad I didn’t have to translate before stabbing the ‘end call’ button. She tossed the phone on the couch.

“I miss the days when I could flip my phone shut with attitude,” she grumbled, falling onto the couch, burned out.

I laughed despite the tense, serious situation and Tia Aurora cracked a smile too.
“So…your mother didn’t tell you I existed did she?” my aunt asked with a grimace while I nodded honestly. She sighed, her face looking suddenly older.

“I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. She and I got in a horrible fight when she married Armando…I didn’t think he was right for her. We didn’t make amends even when she knew I was right…she’s stubborn that way.” Tia Aurora smiled at some old memory.

I smiled too, at my own memories that left a harsh sting behind.

“You look so much like her…only…paler…with better lips,” she added thoughtfully. I rolled my eyes. Those were things I got from Charlie’s side, and they were nothing I needed to be complemented on.

“I don’t have any features better than hers,” I said simply. She rolled her eyes. “You have her modesty…or maybe denial would be a better word.”

I raised an eyebrow and then let it slide.

“My mom always shook her head when I asked if she had any siblings. She never said anything.” I tell her.

She nodded a kind of pained half smile on her face. “When she ended things with me she swore that we weren’t sisters anymore…that she wanted nothing to do with me.”

“What did you do?” I whispered and she bristled uncomfortable. “I’d rather not say…but it was unforgivable. I wish a million times over that I could take it back.”

I nodded, knowing the feeling of not wanting to admit something.

I’d felt the same way when I’d gotten suspended for three weeks and had to explain why to Jacob…before promptly bursting into tears at the thought of my mother being gone.

Frowning at the memory, I shook my head and engaged my aunt in conversation that danced around the topic.

“When was this?” I asked.

“A little less than after the twins were born, and before Alejandro was. They only met me after Marisol and Armando separated.” She said, and her eyes narrowed.

“You know…I never liked Armando. He wasn’t good for Marisol although she didn’t believe me. But…if putting up with him is what I have to do to see my nephews, so be it…and if kicking his ass is what I have to do to see my niece than I’ll do that too.” She said stubbornly, and I was sure she’d do that anyways.

She went off on another rant as I collapsed down on the couch trying to think.

She was my aunt. I had an aunt. My mom had a sister. A sister she lied about.

Those thoughts just kept floating around in my head, refusing to be stomped out no matter how hard I tried to wrap my head around or erase them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun-Dun New and Improved - yes it is both New AND Improved. Im boss like that :P I have learned the error of my ways and am saving my shit on word now lol :)

COMMENT ME/FOLLOW MY KIDS

Troy’s Twitter

Jacob's Twitter

Danni’s Twitter

Jason’s Twitter

Hector’s Twitter

Paul's Twitter

AJ's Twitter