Shine a Light on Me

Her Tension, His Pain

Jackie was asleep in the bedroom, the door open wide so Edward could hear for Julian right as Crane walked through the door.
“…and where the hell have you been?” he asked, walking towards Crane.
Crane pulled the bottle of pills our from his suit pocket and handed them to Edward, he smiled his cocky smile before turning to the bedroom where Jackie slept.
Edward looked at the bottle of pills “What am I supposed to do with these?” he whispered.
Crane turned to Edward “Tomorrow, you’re making Pancakes. Crush them up and put them in with the batter, along with her glass of milk.” He said before walking towards the couch, taking off his suit coat.
“…that might actually work.” Edward said, putting them in the back of a cupboard full of measuring cups.
Crane laid on the couch, kicking his shoes off as he did before he looked towards the bedroom where he saw Julian moving around in his crib.
Edward followed Crane’s trail to the bedroom, watching Julian move about in his crib, not sleeping.
Crane got up off the couch and walked into the bedroom slowly and softly before he turned to Jackie as he stood next to the crib, he watched her as her toes curled in as she slept; he always thought that was sexy.
He turned to Julian who was looking up at his musical mobile that had Snoopy and Woodstock posing above him.
Crane smiled as he looked in the crib, he leaned in and touched Julian’s hand “…I’m so sorry Jules. Your mom is Schizophrenic and your dad’s a career villain. Your chance of a normal childhood is over.” He whispered to his son.
Jackie’s eyes softly opened in the dark, lying still as she listened to Crane talk to their son.
“But I promise that I’ll do the best I can to take care of you and your mom; even if she hates me sometimes—no, she hates me all the time.” Crane said, smiling to his son for a moment.
Julian smiled at his father, beginning to make talking noises to his dad.
Crane chuckled as he stroked Julian’s cheek “Go to bed, Jules. I’ll see you in the morning. I’ll move Boo Boo next to you, okay?” He said, winding up the musical mobile one more time before moving the teddy bear next to Julian then walked out of the bedroom.
“That was…interesting.” Edward said, getting up off the couch.
Crane smirked “Don’t get sarcastic with me.” He said.
Edward shook his head “No, I actually felt a tear swell up.” He said with a cocky smile.
Crane punched his shoulder, Edward chuckled as he looked at his watch “Well I’m going out for a couple hours. I’ll be back before dawn.” He said, grabbing his fedora hat and walking out of the house.
He heard the door lock before he laid back down on the couch, finally relaxing for the night.

The smell of pancakes filled the house as Jackie woke up, Julian was reaching out for Boo Boo in his crib.
Jackie leaned up in the bed, rubbing her eyes as she stretched, listening to Julian blow bubbles with his mouth as he continued to reach out to his friend.
“Oh Jilly.” Jackie muttered, getting out of bed to meet her son for the morning.
Julian grabbed Boo Boo’s foot attempting to pull it towards him only to have the teddy bear land on top of him.
His cried echoed throughout the house, alerting all three members that were in the house.
Jackie jumped out of bed towards the crib, she laughed as she grabbed Boo Boo and picked him up and opened the crib door to let Julian out.
“Aww, baby boy.” Jackie remarked, picking Julian up from the crib.
Crane swiftly walked in to retrieve the crying newborn only to see Jackie had gotten to him first.
Jackie rocked him against her shoulder as she looked at Crane with her blue eyes almost hiding behind the crying Julian.
“Is he alright?” Crane asked.
Jackie nodded “Yeah, he just got into a little altercation with Boo Boo…yes, you did. It’s alright baby.” She said, talking to her son for a moment.
Crane rubbed Julian’s cheek before softly taking him out of Jackie’s hands “There are pancakes waiting for you.” He said, smiling as he left the bedroom with Julian in his arms.
Jackie slowly walked out of the bedroom to see an open kitchen with steaming pancakes and sausage links ready to go with syrup and glasses of milk sitting next to each plate; it was the ideal family breakfast.
Edward took three pancakes and set them on his plate, turning to Jackie and smiles brightly “Just made them.” He said.
Crane bounced Julian on his leg as he reached out for two pancakes while he balanced the baby on his knee.
“I’ll make Jilly a bottle.” Jackie remarked softly, walking into the kitchen to retrieve the bottle.
Edward swallowed half of his first pancake “Shall we get the baby bouncing chair out? You can’t eat and hold a baby at the same time!” he told Crane.
Crane smirked “Watch me.” He said, shoving a piece of pancake in his mouth.
“Enough you two…Ed, if you want to get the bouncy chair that’s fine with me.” Jackie said, retrieving a bottle and beginning to mix the ingredients together.
The Riddler smiled as he continued his breakfast, looking at the baby as he stared wide eyed at him.
“…what are you looking at?” he said in a cooing baby voice, smiling brightly at the baby.
Julian smiled as he looked up at Crane, who smiled at him as he ate another piece of his breakfast “I know, he’s funny isn’t he?” he said to Julian.
Jackie joined the table, softly taking Julian from Crane to feed him while she glared at her breakfast quietly not making eye contact with either Edward or Jonathan while she began to bounce Julian on her knee.
Edward and Crane turned to each other before going back to their breakfasts; they both knew that Jonathan had to make a serious first move for the tension to go away.