Forest Walks.

Forest Walks.

“Oh come on Alice just let me go and see them and then I'll be right back and getting ready just like you want me to. The quicker I go and say Hi to everyone the quicker I’ll be back, it's not like I’m terribly needed anyways...” I trailed off trying to convince Alice to let me go and say Hi to our family before getting into my dress for Edward's big day. Yes I, Kyla Cullen-Ribbert, am a bridesmaid for Bella and Edward on their big day. Don't get me wrong I love that Edward has found someone he loves dearly and would do anything for but I don't exactly see eye to eye with his 'darling Bella'. It was just something about her than seemed off to me. I don't know.
“You're not going to run off now Kyla. Trust me, I’ve seen this. Please don't make me get my nails dirty before the ceremony...” Alice was now scolding me like a little child. Well in her eyes when she sees everything she probably thinks my actions are kind of child like. I huffed as I rolled my eyes and walked out of my room.
Maybe I should introduce myself. My name is Kyla Cullen-Ribbert. I'm originally from England. I'm 100% human yet I live with the Cullen clan. Yes I know they're vampire's and I’m completely happy with that hence why I took their last name. I'm 20 years old, a baby in the Cullen’s eyes. I live with the them due to the fact that my entire family were slaughtered by the Volturi and Carlisle took me in as they left me alive, barely. I was nearly drained, not bitten, they didn't want a child vampire on their hands, so I was sliced when I was 13 years old and due to Carlisle and Esme smelling my blood they helped me back to health. Anyway we have to not talk 'ill' of the Volturi as they could've had me killed when they found out I was still alive. As I was saying my brother, Damien, my mother and father, Donna and Luke, and older sister Katelyn were all murdered while we were on holiday in Italy. I grew up with vampire's and Edward and Alice were like the siblings I lost. I love them all the same and Esme is now my mother and I’m happy about that. I have long, wavy blonde hair with a flash of black to the right side. My eyes are a grass green with flecks of hazel. Average body with curves. I'm quite short, standing 5ft 4. Emmett loves this. He picks me up and swings me around like a child would a teddy bear, doesn't go down well. Rosalie is the older sister that tries to convince me to not do stupid things, what can I say, the scars and trips to see Carlisle should prove that I don't listen. And Jasper is like my best friend. That's my family and I’m quite proud of that fact.
Back to the present. I was racing through the house to try and find my siblings. I'd been away for the better part of the year in Florida studying at Jacksonville University. I'd not been home since leaving for the state as I'd made the move during a tour around the U.S. As I was running down the stairs I tripped and as I fell I went hurtling towards the grand piano that had been moved for the wedding. Screaming as I was headed toward the prized piano someone's arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me into their chest tight. I knew by his strong grip that it was Emmett and a smiled graced his lips as he carried me onto the decking of the balcony. I held onto him tightly and hugged him close as he set me on my feet.
“In a rush there Kyla?” Emmett's voice was mimicking.
“Only to see you cuddly bear!” I retorted with a smile.
“I've missed you little thing! Do you know how boring it is without you falling around and being all...human?!” He mocked my clumsiness. I'm known in my family to be extremely ditzy. Having to have a chaperone with me most of the time.
“That's such a wonderful thing to say to me Em when I’ve been away for so long!” I rolled my eyes and walked away from him as he boomed with laughter trying to search for my other siblings. I'd already been welcomed home by Esme and Carlisle and Alice obviously got me straight into getting ready for the afternoon service even though I got home early morning. So as I wandered around singing dirty little secret in my head I heard someone laugh from behind. I bolted to my left and found my little Edward with a slight smile on his features.
“Your little Edward? I'm offended Kyla...” He tried to act upset but my running up to him and jumping on him faulted his act.
“Don't be offended Eddy. You know you missed me and my 'hurtful' remarks...” Being so close to Edward meant that we could have fun with calling each other names.
“I did miss you. You were away for far too long and look you've grown and inch...” He smirked back to me.
“Well don't worry I wont be going back. Nice short joke Ed! Oh and Alice decided to tell me all about what had happened this last year...” I raised my eyebrows to him signalling that he had to tell me or I would go and find Bella and demand that she tell me. Being older than her I could make her tell me anything I needed to know, with force or without even on her wedding day.
“No. You won't need to ask Bella...” His mind reading skills piss me off sometimes.
“Well then you'd best tell me what the hell happened while I was away! What happened Eddy...” I decided to soften my voice as his eyes darkened.
“I left Bella after Jasper lost control for her own good. Then HE decided to take it upon himself to keep her company after I 'abandoned' her and then he left her too...” He told me about Bella finding out about this Jacob and the Quileute wolves etc. Fascinating. And how she flew to Italy to save him from killing himself with the aid of the Volturi. And then the huge fight with the newborns blah blah. How she'd been playing with both of these boys hearts but that she's chosen my Edward etc. He gave me a stern look for that one!
“So I should perhaps probably say thank you?!” It came out as more of a question than a statement. I have always been quite stubborn so for me to admit that I needed to say sorry and thank you was an achievement.
“I think it would make her day. Other than the fact that she's marrying me...” He smiled proudly. “This means a lot to me Kyla. Thank you little sister...” He pulled me into a bone crushing hug and after we parted I skipped off towards the stairs and towards where I heard Alice talking and laughing. I'd just say Hi to everyone else later.
Walking into the bedroom where Alice and Bella, as I now knew, were sorting make-up out I froze up slightly. Alice looked at me and nodded. Of course she already knew. She smirked and walked out the room leaving me and Bella looking awkward.
“Look I’m sorry for being a bitch to you in the past. You make Eddy happy and that makes me happy. I'm sorry you had to go through all that crap. And I'm very extremely thankful that you saved my brother...” I trailed off hoping we could put this behind us.
“You're welcome and I did it for Edward. It will always be Edward Kyla. No matter what has happened it was always him...” I smiled, thankful that this difficult moment had ended.
“Right lets get this show on the road...” I smiled at her. The door flew open then and Alice, Esme and Rosalie walked into the room and we started the make-up and hair process.
Three hours later and Edward and Bella were married and we were having a fantastic party. Edward was so happy and they just enjoyed the day. Eventually being in heels for most of the day was taking its toll on me, not only because I looked idiotic trying to walk in them, and as I took them off I headed for a little alone time. I love my family. But being around mainly vampires gets tiring. Having to talk to every acquaintance of Carlisle's was plain boring to be fair.
I headed into the surrounding forest and as the music and chatter faded I started to relax more. My feet in the soft ground, the animals in the forest talking to one another was peaceful. After a while I found an old fallen tree and decided to rest for a while before heading off to wish Bella and Edward a safe trip, not like he couldn't handle himself. It was the gesture that mattered.
All of a sudden everything went quiet. The birds stopped chirping and the crickets stopped. The atmosphere became dark and frightening. As I stood trying to be quiet, me being me, stepped on a twig that wasn't there a minute ago. The noise echoed around my surroundings and even I flinched. Eventually I could hear rustling of leaves. I turned to look behind me and my breathe caught in my throat. Behind me stood a giant coppery wolf. Speechless? Yes. Scared? Definitely. Incapable of movement? No. I bolted the moment I saw the wolves eyes move. Obviously I knew it would catch me but when instincts kick in you do what you think will save you.
“Ahh...” I screamed while trying to run in the forest but the wolf appeared in front of me. He must have leaped over me. 'OMG I'm going to get eaten on Edward's wedding day?! Really?!' My thoughts running wild I tried to turn and head back the way I’d just run. I know it's idiotic! What would you do? Exactly! But as I turned I just happened to stumble across six more wolves.
“Oh great...just fantastic...” I mumble out very sarcastically. As if they heard it the big black wolf showed its teeth as if it was laughing.
“Oh and now I'm imagining being mocked by wolves...fan-dabby-dosie...” I slur towards the end and I collapse onto the forest floor.
Next thing I knew I was being carried out of the woods in amazingly strong arms. As my eyes clear I realise I’m nowhere near home. I'm on a beach. There's no beach in Forks.
“I...uh...M-my home...” I trail off as I look around and up into the face of a very gorgeous man. He looked down at me and his brown eyes suffocated me. I had to turn and look away. His gaze was just so tense. And an apparent pull towards him tugged at me.
“You can call whoever when we get you patched up...” My eyes grew wide as he said this.
“Patched up? What?” My tone was laced with disbelieving.
“When you collapsed you slashed your leg on some hidden rocks...” I looked down to my leg and all I saw was blood slowly making its way down to my ankle.
“Oh god...” I said more to myself but it brought a chuckle out of the unnamed man carrying me.
“Don't worry we'll get you sorted. Why were you out in the woods alone anyway?” the man asked me.
“I've had a long day and wanted some alone time. I love my family but it's been hectic...” My line of thought wandered as I questioned why I was telling this complete stranger things.
“I get that. But why on your own? Those woods are filled with...” He stopped talking and concentrated on walking towards a little cabin that came into view on the other side of the beach.
“With what?” I questioned to see if he would tell me about my family.
“Just dangerous things....”
“You mean vampires?” I questioned. A look of pure shock mixed with hatred lined his strong features.
“What do you mean vampires?” He tried to sound convincing.
“Oh please...don't tell me you don't know. My name's Kyla Cullen-Ribbert. The Cullen's are my family and I know for a fact that you were that coppery wolf chasing me in the woods...” His walking stopped but he didn't drop me, thankfully.
“Ok. So now you know who I am, why weren't you being protected by your family? The Volturi could pop in at any time and you would be killed instantly...” Now this was something new. I had no idea the Volturi were going to be paying a visit. Why wouldn't Esme or Alice or Emmett tell me this?
“The Volturi are coming?” Shock was laced into my voice. I was more upset than anything.
“Did they not tell you about what had happened?” The still unnamed man asked me. He too seemed shocked by my lack of knowledge.
“I only got back from Jacksonville this morning, University.” I said as his eyes questioned me silently. “I've been away for about a year and came back for the wedding. Edward told me bits about the werewolf tribe and him going to the Volturi to be killed and this huge fight with newborns. It got boring after a while. But that's all he said. I had to go and apologise to Bella. I was quite cold towards her before I left. But they never said anything to me about the Volturi...” I answered.
“Well due to the fact that they let Bella live they had an agreement that she had to become a vampire so that the secret would be kept...or something...” He trailed off. I wanted to know why he knew more about this than I did.
“How do you know all this?” I asked as we eventually got to the little cabin. I noticed then that he didn't have a shirt on and neither did the five other men that crowded the small wooden house.
“We're part of the Quileute tribe...I'm sure the Cullen's told you all about us?!” One of the older looking men stated as the guy who was carrying me set me down gently onto the sofa in the room. I looked up at him as he sat on the floor and started to clean my leg.
“Yeah they told me the basics. Wolves to protect the land from the vampires. But why would they not tell me...” I was cut off by my phone ringing in my pocket. As I looked at the screen, Alice's name flashed across it. I answered.
“Alice...”
“Where the hell are you Kyla?! We're worried sick. Edward and Bella left and I had to lie to Bella about where you were and to try and calm Edward down! Where did you go? What happened?” She rambled off. The over-protectiveness coming out.
“Well currently I'm sat on a sofa having my leg bandaged up by shirtless men. I went for a walk into the woods and lost track of time. Then I heard something in the woods and the next thing I knew I was being carried by a shirtless man who happened to tell me that the Volturi could come and that I shouldn't be alone in the woods! Alice you know what happened to me...”
“Look Kyla, we're sorry we didn't have chance to tell you everything. I haven't seen anything from them for a while so I never thought to mention it what with the wedding and everything. Just please tell me you're ok. It would calm me and Jasper as well as everyone else down. I can't see you Kyla...” She sounded worried while whispering the last part.
“I'm fine Alice. Just my leg hurts. Don't worry about me, these wolves are taking good care of me...” I smiled into the phone. “Is Edward mad at me? You know for leaving...”
“No he was just worried. Call me the minute you leave their borders...” She demanded.
“You know I will love. Bye Alice.” She put the phone down first sighing heavily.
I looked around the room to see the men and now two women watching me carefully. I just wanted to cry or curl up or something.
“Not tell you what sweetie?” A women that walked into the room and sat down in front of me questioned. “Move out of the way Jake. I'm Emily by the way.” She scolded at the guy cleaning my leg gently. I smiled as he faced me and stuck his tongue out in her general direction. A small smile graced my face.
“That the Volturi, who might I add killed my family and left me for dead, could come back at any given moment.” I answered her question with tears forming. I hadn't thought about that time in my life for well over 3 years. “I was 13 when they sliced me open and drained me and left me but Carlisle saved me. They killed my entire family while we were on holiday. It's been seven years...” I whispered to her not caring if the men surrounding me heard. She seemed like a trustworthy, kind and caring person and when she pulled me into a tight hug it was more than welcomed.
“We'll sort those damn Volturi out. Preferably by ripping them to shreds...” Paul, I think, ranted off to the room.
After being introduced to everyone I finally figured out that Jake was the Jacob that helped Bella. Well the guy she messed around. He was hung up on her. And now she's my sister-in-law. Poor guy! We talked about everything and anything and the Quileute's were becoming great friends even in such little time. We all talked about anything and everything. The guys picking on each other, they were one big family. After a while it felt like I had been accepted into their family and they were telling me about their old tribe legends. Particularly the imprinting ones which were pretty interesting.
After another call from Alice and numerous messages from Emmett and Jasper, demanding that I get home, I decided that it had been a long day. I asked if someone could possibly take me to the border as I knew Emmett would be waiting.
“Thank you so much Emily for fixing up my leg. And listening to me go on and on...” I blushed when the guys laughed because of my constant rambling.
“Oh god no. Don't worry about it. You have to come and see me sometime soon.” She smiled and hugged me again. I said my goodbyes and made promises to visit soon and was on the way to the border with Jacob in his truck.
“So you ok?” I asked him as we were driving and I saw him clench his jaw. I hated silences, especially awkward ones.
“I'm just great...” I think I caught him off -guard. He'd been talkative and sweet while with Sam and Emily but now he seemed like he was on a downer.
“Oh....uh...ok...” I stuttered to him.
“I'm sorry Kyla. It's just today, you know?! She kissed me, and well never mind. I don't want to think about it any more.”
“Did you imprint on Bella?” I asked the obvious.
“I thought I did. But now I’m not sure...” He trailed off. We rounded to corner and there stood someone I hoped and wished and prayed I'd never see again.
“What...no...please...” My words were seeping through my mouth without my knowledge. I was hoping to find Emmett not the Volturi. Well the Volturi's power-blessed slaves, Jane, Demetri etc.
“Jake...” I could barely form a word as flashbacks to that night were replaying themselves in my head.
“They're on their way and informing the Cullen's. Kyla they can't touch you on this land...”
“But what i-if they g-get through...” Jake grabbed hold of my hand. I clamped my hand around his feeling a spark of electricity go through my body. The most inconvenient time! And just when he was telling me he hadn't imprinted on Bella! God!
After an unbearably slow ten minutes the rest of the pack came walking down the road and I saw Carlisle and the rest of my family, minus the newly weds, walking down towards Jane and her associates. Words were exchanged and the vampires with Jane started to walk away. Jake convinced me to get out of the car and very slowly I agreed. Just as I stepped into the Cullen's boundary shooting stabbing pain rippled through my body. The pain indescribable. I crumpled to the road and screams left my mouth. No one could help me while this was happening. Carlisle, Emmett, Esme and Jasper looking like they were the one's in pain, Alice trying to calmly shout at Jane to stop and Rosalie giving her a dead eye. And the wolves on the other side couldn't over step the border even if he tried.
“No one's here to save you now.” Jane taunted to me. I couldn't really register anything but the pain. Soon enough the pain stopped but a constant painful buzz set in. It was nothing compared to what she first did. I registered that the wolves and the vampires were running off into the trees chasing something.
As my vision blurred I noticed bodies approach me. I noticed one was Esme and the other was Jake. They both rushed for me and when they reached me Jake immediately grabbed hold of my hand and that spark filled my body again, just this time it wasn't so nice considering the pain that still pulsed through my veins. I couldn't actually hear anything that they were saying, my eyes just clouded with black spots and my head fell to the floor with a sickening crack.
I woke up to someone shuffling around and the blaring sun on my face. I couldn't register where I was, all I knew was that I was in someone's bed. It had an addictive smell, like when its just rained and everything smells so fresh and restored. This bed was just like that. After getting out of the bed, I realised I was covered in a guys shirt and underneath were bandages covering most of my body. Suddenly a memory came rushing back to me and I remembered Jane using her ability on me, the searing pain, the stabbing, burning pain that she could inflict. Remembering it made me feel like it was happening again. I stumbled and ended up on the floor. Gathering my bearing's I made it to my feet and steadied myself just as the door opened. It was Jake who was stood in front of me, shirtless again, might I add. If it weren't for the pain I’d definitely be admiring him. I looked into his eyes and felt an immediate connection, a pull towards him, like it was just him and me. And I would have stepped closer if it weren't for my double bandaged leg.
“You ok Kyla?” He asked me seriously.
“Oh...What? Uh yeah I'm fine...” I tried to concentrate. He noticed my concentration and laughed lightly.
“You scared us. Carlisle's been round checking on you for the last week. He had to, to make sure your bruises and cuts were ok.”
“So I’ve been out of it for at least a week? What happened to Jane and everyone?” I asked him trying not to look him in the eye again completely ignoring what he'd said about cuts and bruises.
“She ran off and so did her other leeches. Cullen's keep coming here to check on you. Edward's rung a few times. Oh and that bear you call a brother hasn't stopped talking to me...” He laughed, full hearted at the end of his sentence. His laugh made my heart skip a beat and my legs turn to jelly. 'Oh for god's sake I've only known him a few hours and now he's got me all weak at the knees?!'
“He is quite protective...” I smiled at him. I walked backwards towards the bed and sat down. My head was starting to loose oxygen and sending me dizzy.
“You sure you're ok Kyla?” He asked, concerned.
“Yeah I'm fine, just feel slightly dizzy. Must be the fact I cracked my head on the road huh?!”
Jake walked towards me and my breath hitched as he lifted my chin so I was looking at him. He deep brown eyes set on mine, with a determined look to them. He leaned down and carefully placed his lips on mine as if to ask my permission first. After not pushing him away he kissed me with so much force and passion I gasped. He took this as his entrance to my mouth and his tongue fought for dominance with him winning. I wasn't complaining. The kiss lasted a few minutes until we both, regrettably needed to break it for air. He smiled a small smile as his eyes wandered mine looking for something.
“What's wrong?” I asked as he pulled away slightly.
“You don't seem as thrilled with that as I am...” Is that what he thought?
“What? Oh god, you regret it?!” I stumbled over my words.
“No. I can't regret it. You remember that first day when I carried you to Emily's and we told you about imprinting? And then just before we saw Jane I told you that I thought it was Bella who I imprinted on? Well at first I thought it was. But then I met you. I imprinted on you Kyla. That pull you felt when I carried you to Sam's, that's what imprinting is, a pull, an undeniable force pulling you together. Your soul mate. Your other half...” His smile had vanished.
“My other half? You're my soul mate?” I asked him with a small smile ghosting my features.
“I am. But if you don't want to...” I cut him off but kissing him again. It took him by surprise which I was rather happy about. The rest of the day was spent talking and getting to know each other more. Stealing kisses here and there.
After the sun had set Carlisle rushed to visit me. He thanked the wolves for saving his daughter, being the adoptive father he was bound to be worried. He made sure I was healing properly and wanted me to stay here as long as it took till I was completely healed. He was happy for me when I told him Jacob had imprinted on me. He hugged me and left telling me that Alice and Emmett wanted to come visit.
“I was so worried! Please don't hate us for not rushing to you when Jane did that to you. Please don't hate us...” Alice was rambling and worrying.
“No one could've done anything. They're the Volturi, Al, they do what they want. I'm ok, trust me!” I smiled and hugged her. “You're going to be happy with him you know?!” She whispered in my ear while crushing me to her in a hug. My smile was electrifying. Emmett showed up a while later and he actually liked his new nickname of 'the bear'. He warned Jake that if he hurt me no treaty line would stop him from hurting him. I laughed and slapped him.
After everyone who wanted to visited I was exhausted again, so I settled down into the addictive smelling bed sheets and made Jake get in with me. He happily obliged.
“Goodnight my beautiful imprint.” Jake murmured against my neck.
“Goodnight my wonderful imprint.” I smiled back at him.
We settled down for the night and I fell asleep to his heartbeat. Having Jacob Black as my imprint was unexpected but gladly received. Maybe having Jake around following me in the woods wasn't such a bad thing in the end. I'll say! I knew that vampires and the Volturi would never stop but now not only had I got an amazing family and friends, but now I had the love of an amazing man and his family of protectors. He was a wonderful person and I was so happy that I decided to go on that trip into the forest!