Starting Over

Chapter Seven.

Coffee. I adore coffee more than I adore hairspray.. Which is saying something. Hairspray is my favorite hair product in the world.

The rich scent of coffee was the first thing I smelled this morning, it made me smile in delight. That was about when I realized there was a weight across my waist that wasn't usually there.

My eyes shot open and I started freaking out in my mind. What the hell happened last night? My head was pounding, I hadn't remembered going to a party. What did I remember? My view switched from staring at my hand (I'm not really sure why I was staring at it.. Perhaps because it was convenient?) to my waist. There was an arm draped over it and I thanked God quietly that it was an arm.. and not a snake like last time. (THAT truly was an intense party.)

I shifted in bed, trying to turn over to see who the person was without waking them, there was an empty bottle of vodka on the side table.. That would explain the pounding in my head and my lack of memory.

I finally turned all the way over and came face to face with Mason.

Oh my god, we slept together?! And I don't remember it?! How could I NOT remember it! DAMN YOU ALCOHOL!

I shot up out of bed, not worrying about waking him up anymore and wrapped the sheet around my body, forgetting momentarily that it was also covering him.

As soon as I ripped the sheet off the bed Mason woke up and looked around groggy eyed, he sat up on his elbows, I groaned, slapping my hands over my eyes. He had an incredibly drool worthy body, but I felt like I was invading his space by looking at him.

"Riley? What's wrong?"

What's wrong... What's wrong?! We wake up in the same bed together.. NAKED! And he asks what's wrong?! How can he ask that?! ... Quit freaking out, Riley.

"You-I-We- It.." I pointed between the bed, the empty vodka bottle and our apparent nakedness very quickly, but he soon caught on.

"Yeah, we did.. Do you not-?" He trailed off and sat up fully, running a hand through his hair.

"Would you put some clothes on!?" I snapped at him and grabbed the bottle off the bedside stand, tossing it in his trash.

Mason smirked at me and got up, pulling some boxers and a pair of sweatpants on. "Calm down, Riley. It's not like you haven't seen it before." He walked around the bed to me and paused, looking me up and down.. I still had the sheet on and I suddenly felt very self conscious.

"Are you alright?"

I blushed and looked down "Y-yes.. I'm.. We.. Do you remember last night?" I looked up at him and he nodded slowly.

"Yeah, I remember it.. I went to a bar and was drinking, ran into my ex and.. almost screwed everything up with you. But then we-"

"We what?!" .. So I was being impatient. No big deal.

"Well, we ended up sleeping together..." He raised his eyebrow at me "Do YOU not remember last night?"

"No!" I snapped at him again and held one of my hands to my forehead, the throbbing wouldn't go away. "Care to explain how I consumed a whole bottle of vodka?"

Mason just shrugged "Once you found out I had a bottle in here I couldn't rip you away from it, so we ended up both drinking it and I guess we drank all of it.. Did we?" He looked around the room quickly before spotting it in his trash can, he frowned and shook his head.

"How do you not have a headache?" I groaned and leaned against the wall.

"Hey, did you make coffee?" His question made me open my eyes and look at him. I had forgotten about the smell of coffee...

"N-no..." We looked at each other for a few moments before I went for his door, he grabbed my hand as I walked past him and pulled me back.

"You aren't supposed to be living here, Riley.. We don't know who it is."

He had a point.. But really, who could it be? "It's probably just Chelsea." I rolled my eyes at him, he frowned but let go of my hand anyway.

"You might want to get dressed then." He eyed me up and down again and I felt my cheeks heat up. Damn this sheet.

"Fine." I stuck my tongue out at him and was just about to turn to grab my clothes when he pulled me close to him, pushing his lips against mine.

Just like that memories of last night came tumbling out, our naked sweaty bodies pressed so close together, kissing... everywhere. Some very -not so innocent- deeds. And the pleasure.. Oh god the pleasure.

I pulled away from the kiss, my face as red as a strawberry.

"Fine.. I'm going to just.." I pulled away further from Mason and looked everywhere but at him.

Why was I so embarrassed by this? I was never embarrassed as a one night stand. Maybe it was because I actually knew Mason.

I went around picking up my clothes and I heard his bedroom door open then shut again shortly after.

As soon as the door was shut I sighed and leaned against the wall, sliding slowly down it until I was in a sitting position. I placed my pants on the ground next to me and groaned. I couldn't believe I actually drank Vodka. I swore to myself I'd never touch the stuff again.

I hadn't had a sip of vodka in nearly five years. Last time I had was when I was seventeen, there was a party at my friend Connor's house and he had invited me and Chelsea, I had gotten pretty drunk that night, mostly on vodka and ended up hooking up with Chelsea's at the time boyfriend, Jon. He was her high school sweetheart and I had ruined it for them.

I had felt like such an incredibly horrid friend, Chelsea had been mad at me for exactly two days and four hours before she came over to my house crying, saying she was sorry for ignoring me. She quickly forgave me for my wrong doing in the part, though I don't think she ever really blamed me for it, I still felt terrible and vowed to her I wouldn't drink again, though.. We were both party animals after that and she let me out of the vow, if I promised to not drink vodka anymore. Which I had readily accepted.. and I hadn't had any until last night.

I grabbed my shirt from nearby and tugged it over my head, pulling my boxers and pants on shortly after. I ditched the sheet back on Mason's bed and opened his door, starting to walk down the hallway I shoved my hand through my hair.. I'm sure I had sex hair, I hadn't fixed it up since last night, I desperately needed a shower, but I wanted to see Chelsea, I hoped she stayed around after making coffee.

The floorboards squeaked under my feet and I rolled my eyes, I had never gotten around to fixing that.

"Who's here, Mason?" I turned the corner into the kitchen and froze in my spot.

An older man stood in the kitchen next to Mason, they had been chatting (I think) at the counter and as soon as I entered I recognized him immediately.

It was Mason's father.. a co-worker of MY father's. I wasn't sure if he knew who I was, but I certainly knew who he was.

Either way, this wasn't a good situation.. I had just come from his room, Mason still didn't have a shirt on, and I still had my sex hair going on.. Oh god, this didn't look good.

"Ah-I" I pointed at nothing in particular and turned on my heel, fully prepared to go back down the hall and hide until the apocalypse happened.

"Riley?"

I turned back around and grinned sheepishly at him. "Hey, Mr. Criston."

"What are you doing here?" He looked kind of confused. I don't blame him.

I shifted my weight from foot to foot and stood there awkwardly, rubbing my arm. I spared a glance at Mason and he was shaking his head, I could tell he was trying to think of an excuse.

"I-Uh..I'm just.. hanging out with Mason?"

"This early?"

"Yes?" I more of asked than said, but oh well.. too late to take that back now.

Mason finally decided to speak up "He stayed the night, his current roommate kicked him out for the night and I was the only friend of his that would let him stay."

His father turned to him and raised an eyebrow "Is that so?" He looked between us again before stopping his gaze back on me "How have you been, son? I've heard what's happened between you and your parents.. downright awful if you ask me." He shook his head and I couldn't stop the shock that came across my face.

He was okay with me being gay?

"Well, I.. I mean.. I'm getting along. I'm not used to.." I shook my head.

"If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to give me a call, alright son?"

I nodded at him and gave him a small smile, even more surprised when he came over and gave me a hug. Pulling away and nodding at both Mason and I "I'll leave you to it then."

I heard him walk down the hallway and out the front door, shutting it loudly.

Mason and I just stood in the kitchen in silence for a minute, his face mirrored mine.. Complete and utter shock.

"What.. What the hell was that?" Mason finally came to and pointed towards the exit to the kitchen, obviously referring to his father.

"I-I have no idea." I blinked twice and looked around the kitchen. The coffee pot was still working on filling up, the delicious brown liquid falling slowly into the pot.

"You can so tell we had sex! He has to know we had sex!" I couldn't believe he just shouted that! What if his dad was still outside!? "It's so obvious! I'm practically naked.. Geez, your hair screams sex, I can smell the sex on you from here! Not to mention your shirt is on backwards!"

My shirt was on backwards?

I looked down and surely it was, not only that.. but it was inside out too. Way to go, Riley.

"Maybe he.. Doesn't care?" I offered up lamely and Mason turned to look at me.

"Of course he cares, Riley."

"Maybe you should tell him you're .. bi? after that I doubt he'd have much of an issue with it.. And it IS easier to live without having to hide it." I tugged my shirt off, turning it out the right way, ready to put it back on.

Mason walked over to me and grasped the shirt in his hands, taking it from me.

"I like you better with it off." He winked at me and walked away, leaving me standing in the kitchen, blushing.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Son of a goat fucking fly!!" Chelsea looked over at me, wide-eyed.

"Whoa, calm down, Riles.. it's not that big of a deal. We can go get you a new one."

"I don't want a new one! I wanted THAT one!" I pointed to the sidewalk in front of me, my fallen ice cream cone now painting it nicely.

Yes, I'm being childish. I was on edge, and still rather frustrated from this morning.

Chelsea patted my shoulder sympathetically and stuck her ice cream cone out at me, I smiled sheepishly at her and shook my head. "That's alright, I'll go get a new one." I turned and started to walk back to the shop, the same shop I had applied at and had gotten no reply. Maybe Christopher forgot to say something...

The bell rung as I opened the door, holding it open long enough for Chelsea to come in as well.

I went up to the counter and tapped my foot rather impatiently. I wanted my ice cream, dammit.

A dog had run in front of me out of nowhere and caused me to shriek like a little girl and drop my beloved ice cream cone, I guess that's what I get for venturing to the park.

"Hello?" Chelsea spoke up, I don't think she was talking to me though. "Where is everyone? someone was just here helping us." I shrugged.

"Hey! YOU!" I saw someone standing in the back, dammit. Why weren't they coming to service me?! ... That came out wrong.

So did that.

Anyway.

The person groaned and got up, walking towards the counter. He had black hair that covered half of his face, and from what I could see.. His eyebrow was pierced. All in all.. He looked really out of place in a ice cream shop.

"What?" He glared at me and was at a loss for words, he was kind of scary.

I shook my head and moved behind Chelsea, pushing her towards the counter. "Her."

Chelsea rolled her eyes at me and looked towards the guy "I need a single scoop of Superman ice cream in a chocolate dipped waffle cone."

Damn she knew me well. I was so proud of her, I hugged her quickly and glared at the scary guy behind the counter. He just rolled his eyes at me and mock saluted Chelsea.

"Comin' right up." He got the ice cream and handed it to me, I took it quickly.. I was scared to touch him, I thought I might burst into flames.

"Thanks, dude." I winked at him and slapped a five dollar bill down on the counter. He just rolled his eyes again and started walking away.

"Hey, wait!" Chelsea called out to him and I gave her a crazy look. What was she thinking?

"Yes?" The guy raised his visible eyebrow at her and she jabbed a finger in my direction.

"He applied here the other day and I was just wondering if you guys had looked over his application yet."

I smacked her finger away and sent her a small glare.. I wasn't so sure I wanted to work here if evil man worked here too. Specially since I had just winked at him, ugh. I smacked my forehead before shrugging and licking at my ice cream.

"Nah, I haven't looked over any applications yet. Been too busy."

LIES.

"Yeah, I can see that." Chelsea remarked dryly, looking around the empty store and the guy just rolled his eyes again.

"Fine, I'll look at it now. What's your name?" He directed the question at me and I shrugged.

"I can't remember."

"What? How do you not remember your name?"

"By forgetting."

He gave me a flat look and I could feel Chelsea's glare on me "His name is Riley." She swatted at my arm and I faked hurt, pouting slightly.

The guy walked away into the back of the store again and I glared at Chelsea "Way to give me in to the enemy."

She snorted.. Quite unattractive "Oh please, you probably think he's hot." She gave me a knowing look and my cheeks tinted pink, I licked my ice cream cone to keep from answering her.

She gave me a smug look "Told you."

"I will have you know that I think no one but my BOYFRIEND is hot." I stuck my nose in the air and looked away from her.

"Boyfriend?! You two got together?!"

"Yeah.. and apparently we slept together too." I scratched the back of my head.

"Apparently? What you don't remember it? Were you drugged or something?"

I shook my head "Drunk."

"Oh.. You know, with how much of a party animal you are, er.. were.. You'd think you would be able to hold your alcohol better."

It was my turn to snort and I scowled at myself. "Yeah, you'd think."

The guy walked back up to the front desk, piece of paper in hand.. Which I found out was my application.

"What the hell is this?" He questioned and stuck the paper in my face, pointing to one of the questions.

'What flavor of ice cream would you create, given the chance?'

I had answered so artfully with one word. Glitter.

Because, that's kind of a stupid question, and I had no idea what to put there.

"An answer, that's what that is." I was being a smart ass today, I wouldn't be surprised if angry evil guy shot me.

"Very funny.. " He glared at me again.. No surprise there, in fact, I was starting to wonder if he had any other facial expression.

"You asked." I shrugged and ate some more of my ice cream.

"Whatever, you're hired."

"What?! Really?! Chelsea, did you hear that? I'm hired!" I bounced up and down before leaning over the counter and giving evil guy a half hug, I guess it surprised him because he just kind of stood there, waiting for me to pull away, which I eventually did and turned my attention to Chelsea.

"Awesome! When does he start?" She directed the question at Evil Guy. Hm.. good question, I'm glad she's here with me.

"Come in Tuesday, next week. I'll be here then and be able to give you your uniform and training."

"Ew, there's a uniform?"

"Yeah, but you don't have to wear it." He signaled to his body and I noticed he was wearing just a black t-shirt and some ripped jeans.

"So.. what's the point of having a uniform?" I scrunched my eyebrows up and Evil Guy glared at me.

"We'll talk about that on Tuesday."

..I failed to see how that was a question to be asked on Tuesday, but whatever. I just grinned at him and waved goodbye.

I got a job.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is kind of shorter than I usually write (I think) xD and I apologize for that, but I hope you enjoy anyway :)