The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 10

The next few weeks were a bit of a blur. As the weather got continually warmer, I was taking my class outside to learn about the plants and animals, which obviously meant I would spend an hour chasing around a group of hyperactive kids. But I loved it. With the warmer weather also came a few tentative trips to the beach, of which I abandoned quite quickly because of all the gorgeous woman there, that and the fact that I was alone.

Jared and his band mates had to leave for New York a few days after our coffee date. They had some gigs to perform, interviews to endure; all the usual rock star stuff I assume. But the thing that astounded me was the little BBM messages that I got from Jared every few days. Nothing mushy like I miss you or I’m thinking of you. Just random little things like I’m eating a banana and Today I found a really shiny nickel on the sidewalk. I’m gunna give it to you for good luck. Even though they were a bit pointless in their meaning, they made me smile nonetheless.

By now it was the end of May, which meant that the kids were going summer crazy. Most days all I could hear was where their parents were taking them on holiday, which summer camp they were going to or arranging to go and play with their friends from other schools. I would be spending my summer at home, saving up for a winter holiday. But also so that I could get to know the city better and possibly make some friends outside the workplace. Most of my time was spent at school or doing work for school.

It was the last school day of May and of the week, so I packed up all my things for the weekend and drove home. Halfway there I heard my phone buzzing from inside my bag. It’s just gunna have to wait till I get in. I thought to myself, although I was dying to know who it was.

As soon as I had the door open I threw my stuff onto the couch and got out my phone to check who had sent me a message. It was Jared.

Guess who’s back?

My stomach gave an excited flip. He was back from New York, and he wanted me to know he was back. I quickly pressed the reply button.

I don’t know. Evil Knievel?

I smiled to myself, it was obvious that I knew he meant himself, but I liked to tease. The reply came instantly back.

I wish. But other than that I’m finally back from New York!

Awesome. Did you have fun?

Course, New York is orgasmic. But the Starbucks didn’t seem so good. 

Awww, why did the Starbucks suck?

Cause you set an unreasonably high standard of Starbucks fun and the ones on the east coast just didn’t quite cut it anymore.

Was he flirting with me? Or was he just being humorous? Please be the first, please be the first. If he was going to send texts like that, then I guess it wouldn’t hurt if I sent one back in a similar fashion.

Well I do have that effect on internationally acclaimed coffee houses.

That you do indeed. Hey, you free tomorrow morning?

Tomorrow morning? Yeah I guess so. Why?

You’ll see. Just be ready by 9.30. I’ll pick you up.

OK, see you then.

I let out a little squeal of excitement, he wanted to see me again; and right after he got back from weeks of working across the country. Good sign? I sure as hell hope so.
I spent the rest of the evening watching Panic Room. I know it had Jared in it, but I’ve loved that film since way before I knew him or even moved out to LA. My mind occasionally drifted off to think about what I would wear the next day, but I was definitely not as nervous as when we went for coffee.

The next morning I woke up just after eight. Seeing as I still had some time, I took a quick shower and dried my hair. That’s the good thing about meeting someone in the morning; you don’t have time to lounge around getting nervous about seeing them.
At exactly 9.30 there was a rap on my door. I jumped up and made my way over to open it; there stood in front of my stood a smiling, if somewhat slightly tired looking, Jared Leto.

“Morning.” I said as I beckoned him in.

“Morning. How’s things?” He questioned.

“Good. Sun is shining, birds are singing; so I’m happy.”

“That’s good.”

“You look tired. You OK?” I said, taking a step toward him.

“Yeah I’m fine, just a bit jet lagged. So, you ready?”

“For?”

“You’ll see.” He smiled mischievously.

“Again with the secrecy!”

“What can I say? I like giving people surprises.”

In his car we wound our way through the streets, observing the commuters, cyclists, kids in the park. Eventually we pulled into a small grocery store.

“What are we doing here?” I asked, thoroughly confused.

“Just a quick stop. You stay here and I’ll be right back.” Jared said as he stepped out of the car and dashed into the shop.

I was sat in the car for a total of about four minutes when he returned.

“Now will you tell me what’s going on?” I asked hopefully.

“Nope.” He laughed, putting the car in reverse and leaving the grocery store.

We continued on our journey for a little while longer before Jared announced we had arrived. We were at the beach. Or, more accurately, a little corner beach type thing with no one around.

“Come on.” Jared encouraged me, holding a bag in one hand and tugging me along with the other.

I was about to ask again what on earth was going on when Jared pulled a giant beach towel out of the bag. He sat down and I followed suit, watching while he pulled out the plastic bag from the store and placing its contents on the towel.

“Beach breakfast.” He announced triumphantly, opening his arms to show off the bagels and cream cheese, mini boxes of cereal, chocolate croissants, milk and orange juice.

“Wow.” Was all I could say.

“What do you think?” He asked, still smiling.

“It’s amazing. And very original.” I told him, reaching for a croissant and taking a bite out of it.

He followed my lead and grabbed a bagel, smearing cream cheese over it with a plastic knife from the set of plastic cutlery he bought. We spent half an hour going through all the food, having a little bit of everything. Talking and just having a generally good time. I had kicked off my shoes and buried my feet in the sand.

“Oh, and...” He said, trailing off while digging his hand into his pocket. “Tada!” He produced a pack of cards.

“Yay! Snap” I laughed.

We proceeded to play snap and various other card games for the rest of the morning, talking all the while about the things he did in New York, the things I was planning for the summer. Anything and everything that came to our minds. It was the best breakfast I’d ever had.