The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 13

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

I couldn’t stop thinking about last night, how close I had come to kissing Riley. I couldn’t help myself, her skin was so soft and warm under my touch, and her lips looked so full and pink; my mind was overwhelmed with the want to know the sensation of them against my own lips.
I craved to be back in that situation; that my phone hadn’t gone off and I could’ve spent more time with her. Stupid radio interview.

“You know dude, I think you actually really like her.” Shannon cut through my reverie.

“Huh?” I tried to snap back to attention.

“Please, you were so distracted during the interview last night. And you’ve been out of it all morning. Something happened, didn’t it?”

“Nothing, it’s nothing.” I tried to deflect the question, turning to get myself a glass of water.

“If it’s nothing then I’m the Queen of England.” Shannon said determinedly.

I could tell he wasn’t going to give up; he was in one of those brotherly moods. It would just be easier to give in now and tell him rather than have him following me all day to try and find out.

“Fine! Right before you texted last night, Riley and I almost kissed.” I sighed.

“Almost?”

“Yeah, almost. We were close to it then my phone buzzed, instantly killing whatever mood there might have been.”

“Shit man, I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“So what’re you gunna do?”

“Text her and see if she wants to hang out here. How do you feel about a barbeque? Get Tomo over here. If all three of us are there then it might make the re-connection less awkward.” I said.

“Sounds good little bro, I’ll call him, you call her.” Shannon decided, walking away while pulling his phone out of his pocket.

I copied his move and pulled out my phone, opening a new message box and began typing.

*Regular P.O.V.*

Hey Ri, you wanna come to a barbeque at mine? Make the most of your first day of summer :)

I read from my phone screen. Well he did say he would contact me today, but after last night I wasn’t too sure if he meant it. I wanted to go, it sounded good and it was an amazingly sunny day. But what if it was too awkward?

No, things are only awkward if you make them awkward. All you gotta do is act normal and everything will be fine. And he didn’t seem too bothered about it; he was talking to me as if everything was normal. Plus, if I said no, he might think I don’t want to see him, and we can’t have him thinking that.

Yeah sure, sounds good. I’ll bring some drinks. What’s your address?

He quickly replied, telling me where he lived and how to get there.

OK, I’ll be there about 1. That good?

Yeah that’s great. See you then.

I went to my room to have a quick change of clothes out of my pyjamas. I grabbed my bag, making sure my ID was in there (I still sometimes got ID’d for alcohol) and left my apartment. I pulled my car keys out to unlock it. I had enough time to get down to the liquor store to buy some cider, Southern Comfort and some lemonade before had to be at Jared’s.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

At five past one I heard a car pull into the driveway. My stomach flipped much like the burgers I was flipping; it had to be her.

“Shannon, can you get the door, I need to keep an eye on the burgers.” I called from the garden.

“No problem.” I heard the answer from inside the house.

*Regular P.O.V.*

Just as I was about to ring the bell, the door opened revealing a very happy Shannon Leto.

“Riles! Hey, come on in.” He said, pulling me through the doorway and into a hug.

“Hey Shan, it’s good to see you.” I laughed at his energy.

When he finally let me go I held up the plastic bag.

“I bought alcohol.”

“Yum!” Was the immediate answer I got as Shannon pulled the bag out of my hands and dragged me through to the kitchen, from where you could see the garden. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Jared’s back facing us, attentively watching over the barbeque.

“Cider, perfect for a sunny day like this.” Shannon’s voice cut through my thoughts.

“Exactly what I thought.” I agreed.

“Hey Riley.” I heard from behind me. It was Tomo carrying a plate of burger buns.

“Hey Tomo. They got you on bread duty I see.” I smiled.

“It’s the easiest job to not fuck up.” He laughed, continuing his way outside towards the wooden picnic table set in the grass.

“C’mon, I’m pretty sure Jared could do with a nice cold drink while stood over a hot barbeque.” Shannon told me, a knowing glint in his eye, before walking through the glass doors with two cans of cider in his hands.

Did he know about last night? Probably, Jared is his little brother. I blushed furiously as I followed with another two cans. Shannon had made his way over to the table where Tomo was sat, leaving it up to me deliver Jared his drink.

Don’t be a coward you silly girl, he’s still your friend, he did invite you over.
I walked over and placed the can on the side shelf of the barbeque.

“Hey.” I said while opening my can; remembering that was the exact word we said to each other last night before the almost kiss.

“Afternoon. Ah thank fuck, a cold drink.” Jared smiled, acting completely normal.

“So, how’s things?” He asked after taking several large gulps of the beverage.

“Not bad thanks. Just relaxing in a rock stars backyard.” I joked.

“Really? Well aren’t you a lucky lady?” He played along.

“Very much.” I smiled.

“So would you like the grand tour?” Jared asked.

“Alright then.”

“Shannon, watch the barbeque, I’m gunna give Riles a tour of the house.” Jared called, pulling me back through the glass doors into the kitchen.