The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 14

The afternoon wore on, and with it the good food got eaten and the good company got funnier. Although that may have just been the cider. Soon came six o’clock, and the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it!” Yelled Tomo, jerking up from his place at the picnic table from where we were yet to move.

The three of us left heard him open the door and greet the visitors warmly before ushering them through the kitchen into the garden where the rest of us were sitting.

“Ivana, Poppy!” Jared and Shannon exclaimed, both rising from their seats towards them.

“We just came to say goodbye, we’re off to Florida first thing in the morning.” Ivana smiled.

“Miss Dawson, I didn’t see you there.” She added, spotting me still sitting.

“Yeah, these guys tricked me into coming here and cooking them all food.” I laughed, rising up and shaking her hand.

“Yeah right, I did all the cooking.” Jared scoffed.

“And you were so good you should consider becoming a housewife.” I giggled.

“Oho! You’re gunna regret saying that. I’m gunna get you when you least expect it.” Jared threatened genially, picking up Poppy and spinning her around in his arms.

I just smiled to Ivana, who could also hear the emptiness of the threat.

“C’mon Poppy, I got a surprise for you for your holiday!” Jared suddenly exclaimed to the excitable young girl, setting her on her feet before taking her hand and running off into the house.

“He’s good with her, isn’t he?” Ivana noted, “It’s a wonder he doesn’t have any kids of his own.”

“He really is.” I agreed, looking fondly through the doors which he had just run.

So as not to let my mind remain too focussed on Jared, I began clearing the picnic table of the dishes and cutlery that had still not been cleared away. Tomo and Shannon had settled themselves into some deck chairs and Ivana had joined them. The atmosphere here was too calm and relaxed to feel uncomfortable. I picked up the stacked plates and took them through to the kitchen, where I began to fill the sink with warm, soapy water. I immersed myself in the washing and tried my very best not to let my mind wander to those blue eyes.

“And you said I would be a good housewife?” I heard a familiar chuckle from the doorway.

Surprised, I accidentally slopped a little soapy water over the sink and onto the floor.

“Don’t startle me like that.” I laughed, reaching for the dish towel before bending over to wipe the floor dry.

“Need some help?” He asked his voice now considerably closer.

“You could dry.” I replied.

We worked on the dishes together in a comfortable silence, but one that I knew would end quite soon.
After ten minutes all the dirty dishes were washed, dried and put away.

“Riley.” He started.

“Yeah?” I replied, still facing the plates I had just put away.

“Can we talk? In the living room?” Jared asked apprehensively.

“Sure.” I followed him out of the kitchen and down the hall to the living room he had shown me in our earlier tour. The room was quite large, with big windows, white walls and sofas, a big TV in the corner and a pool table at one end.

“About last night-“ He began.

“Don’t worry about it.” I interjected, afraid to hear any more. Afraid to hear it was a mistake; that he didn’t mean it.

“But-“

“Honestly Jared, it’s fine,” I smiled, reaching out to take his hand to reassure him, “no harm done.”

“If you’re sure.”

“Completely sure.” I added an extra smile for good measure, squeezing the hand that still held mine.

“OK then.” His face relaxed into a reciprocating grin, “You wanna watch some TV?” He asked, settling in beside me on the couch and picking up the remote.

“Sure. Oooo see if How I Met Your Mother is on!” I suggested.

He obligingly found me an episode of my favourite show and we settled back to watch it.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to explain everything to her. I had been working up the courage all day to tell her that I wanted that kiss to happen, that I had for a while now. And when I finally got around to being able to tell her she said it didn’t matter; that is was fine. She wasn’t bothered about it, or else wasn’t going to let it show that she was bothered about it. She probably valued our friendship too much to let anything happen to it. Or maybe she did just see me as a friend.

But if she only saw me as a friend then why did she lean in as well?

Fuck, I hadn’t been this confused about anything before. Usually I was confident and straightforward with women about what I wanted and how I felt, even if it was only a fling. Life as a bachelor had never bothered me. It was only now, as I discreetly watched Riley out of the corner of my eye, laughing along with the TV program, that I realised how much better my life could be. Only now that I realised the reason the room seemed so warm and inviting was because of her presence.

I think I may be falling for her more than I ever originally thought I would.

*Regular P.O.V.*

I tried my hardest to concentrate on the television, but my mind was clouded with the fact that
Jared was sitting quite close to me. I could hear his gentle breathing, feel the warmth emanating from his legs which were a fraction of an inch away from mine.

“Well, we’re off.” Ivana announced, coming into the living room with Poppy.

“Have fun Ivana. Make sure you eat lots of cotton candy munchkin!” Jared said, pulling himself off the sofa and over to Ivana and Poppy.

“Have a safe trip.” I added, walking over to the trio and saying goodbye.

Five minutes after they left, Shannon and Tomo came skidding into the living holding a pair of DVD’s each.

“Scary movie time!” They said together in a sing-song voice.

“Oh no.” I groaned.

“What?” Jared turned to me.

“I don’t do well with scary movies.” I confided in them.

“All the more amusement for us then.” Shannon laughed while popping the first movie in and settling back into one of the chairs.

Tomo had made himself comfortable in another chair, which meant Jared and I had the sofa. There was some form of knowing glint I saw passed between the two former men that made me think that they sat in those positions on purpose.
Then the opening title credits for Dawn of the Dead came on. I don’t think I was going to last very long.

-3 and a half hours later-

By now I was terrified. After having successfully managed to get through Dawn of the Dead needing only a blanket for protection and comfort, Tomo decided on the next film being even scarier. Because, according to him, the mark of a good scary film is when a girl screams; and I was failing him so far. Now we were watching The Ring. May not be scary for some people but last time I watched it I got so scared in the first five minutes I had to switch it off. I didn’t have that option here.

So twenty minutes into the film I was clutching not only the blanket, but also a cushion and Jared’s shirt. Not that he seemed to mind. At the first scream I emitted I vaguely sensed him wrap his arms tightly around me, pulling me closer. He didn’t say anything out loud, but whispered gently that it was all just a movie, there was nothing to be scared of. But I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the screen. I felt his lips brush softly against the top of my hair as he continued to whisper, his breath warming the back of my neck and side of my cheek. I could feel the quickening of his heart just as easily as I could feel the quickening of my own.

It was his heartbeat that calmed me. Stopped me from being scared, made me relax. Then made me feel sleepy. Noises from the television faded away as I listened to the rhythm of his heart. Pretty soon everything faded away as I feel into the most comfortable sleep I’d ever had; head and torso leaning against Jared’s chest, feeling safe and protected.