The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 18

The past two days in London were amazing. This being my first time, the guys took me everywhere: The London Eye and Big Ben, the West End, Covent Garden and on the underground, it so amazing.

That night, we decided to go to Embassy London, which was meant to be an awesome club. Getting in was no problem, when your with famous musicians you can pretty much skip any queue there is; it was a good perk. Once inside, we went into the VIP lounge and ordered drinks before sitting in a booth.

“So how you liking London?” Tomo asked, sipping his beer.

“It’s beyond anything I could’ve imagined.” I yelled over the music.

“I’m glad you like it.” He replied.

We sat finishing our drinks before heading onto the dance floor. It was quite amusing really, men kept thinking I was there on my own, not realising I was with three guys, and kept trying to come on to me; sometimes they were cute so I let them, others were just plain gross at which point I would wrap my arm around whichever of the guys was closest and they would protect me.

This happened quite a few times before one guy came up to me, he was quite insistent on
trying to drag me away to dance with him. Panicking slightly, I wrapped my arm around the waist of one of the guys, I wasn’t sure which.

“There a problem here?” I heard Shannon’s deep voice ask, the threat toward the guy barely veiled.

“Just want to dance with the gorgeous lady.” The guy smirked, still trying to pull me to his side.

“Well that’s too bad. She’s here with me.” Shannon warned, pulling me into his side and wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

“I don’t think I believe you, it didn’t look like she was with you a minute ago.” The guy pressed.

“Well believe man, cause she is.” Shannon assured, and without warning swooped down and gave me a quick peck on the lips.

“Whatever man.” The guy gave up and walked away through the crowd.

“Sorry about kissing you. I couldn’t think of what else would make him leave.” Shannon apologised immediately.

“No worries. And thanks.” I reassured him with a smile.

I looked around to see where Tomo and Jared were; Tomo had witnessed the whole thing, so we explained what happened. Jared however, was nowhere in sight.

“He was stood right next to me. Think he said something about going to get a drink.” Tomo told us.

We left him to it, but when he didn’t return for half an hour, we went searching for him. It didn’t take long. We found him in an intimate booth with what looked like a Victoria’s Secret model welded to his lips. My stomach dropped.

Shannon immediately pulled me into a hug. He must’ve known how I was feeling, he was really quite intuitive.

“Well it looks like he’s busy.” Tomo said quickly, turning us around and heading back the way we came.

“I’ll leave him a text saying that we’re going. He can make his own way back to the hotel.” Shannon said, pulling out his phone.

The guys steered me toward the exit and into a taxi. I still hadn’t said anything, the image of that gorgeous, skinny blonde pressing herself up against Jared was seared into my brain. I couldn’t get it out of my head no matter how hard I tried.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

I still couldn’t believe my own brother would do something like that. He usually knew when I liked a girl, so why the fuck would he go and kiss the one I was actually really falling for?
I bought myself a further three beers which I downed in record time. Feeling the buzz pretty strongly, a hot blonde woman came up to me and asked to dance. I suggested something a little more private. Anything to get the image of Shannon and Riley out of my mind. It didn’t work; the entire time I spent with the blonde (I didn’t even get her name) my mind was on Riley.
In the end I got up and left without a word to the blonde and walked off to look for my band mates and Riley. I couldn’t find them anywhere. I pulled out my phone to text them to see where they were when I saw I had a new message from Shannon.
We saw you with the blonde and figured you’d want some space. We’ve gone back to the hotel.

Shit, when he said we I really really hope he meant just him and Tomo. If Riley saw me with her I don’t know what I’d do, or say. Great, I’ve probably completely fucked up any chance I might have had with Riley. Not that I’d have much of a chance anyway if my brother is kissing her.

*Regular P.O.V.*

I woke up the next morning to Shannon’s sleeping form. Wondering for a second why he was squeezed onto my single bed, the memories of last night came flooding back: Shannon saving me from that guy by kissing me, Jared sucking face with that blonde, getting back to the hotel where Tomo went to bed and Shannon immediately set about trying to comfort me, even though I had shown no sign of any emotion since we left the club. He must’ve fallen asleep while giving me a hug.

I carefully climbed out of the bed and into the bathroom to take a shower. By the time I got out all three guys were in the living room area in their pyjamas watching TV. I walked past quickly and quietly behind them to my room to get dressed. I made the process last as long as possible; I didn’t want to go out there and not know what to say to Jared. I didn’t want this trip to turn awkward, I wouldn’t allow it.

Putting a smile on my face, I finally walked out into the living room and placed myself down on the floor next to the coffee table.

“Morning guys.” I said brightly

“Morning.” Came the general consensus.

“Why are you all up so early? I thought you were more afternoon wakers.”

“We are, but after drinking, we all have this weird thing where our bodies wake us up stupidly early. It’s not cool.” Jared yawned.

“Well I thought that girl last night would’ve tired you right out Jared.” I tried to tease as casually as I could, looking away from him and towards the TV.

My response came in the form of quiet laughing from Tomo and Shannon. Casting a sneaky glance at him, I saw Jared blushing faintly.

“Nah, she wasn’t interesting enough to waste my energy on.” Jared mumbled.

“Harsh bro.” Shannon quipped.

“Yeah well, I’m tired.” Jared leaned his head back on the couch to emphasise his point.

“So, when’s the first gig?” I directed my question at Tomo.

“Tomorrow night. We’re doing all four shows in a row, so the last one is on Sunday. Then we’ve got another three days free in London.” He answered.

“Awesome, sounds like fun.”

I couldn’t take it anymore, I couldn’t be in the same room as him; all I could think about was the incident where we almost kissed, and last night where that girl was practically swallowing his face. I left the room and went into the bedroom, pulled out a book from my suitcase and sat in the big armchair in the corner to read.

About an hour later a gentle knock came on the door.

“Come in.” I told the person.

“Hey.” Came the timid greeting from Jared.

“Hi.” I said quickly, returning to my book.

“You OK? You’ve been cooped up in here for ages.”

“I’m fine. Just wanted somewhere quiet to read my book.” I said tersely. I couldn’t help being short with him, not when last night’s image kept popping up in my brain.

“Oh. Well fine, I’ll go.” He replied, he must’ve sensed my mood.

The door closed and I let the book fall to my lap, there was no way I could read when I was this distracted. I had no idea on how to handle this situation. I mean, he’s single, he’s allowed to do whatever he likes. I shouldn’t let it affect me so much.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

Crap, the way she’s acting, she must’ve seen me last night. But then again, she was going round kissing my brother, she’s got no right to act all high and mighty. It’s a bit hypocritical on her part. My regret started turning to frustration. And what about Shannon, rooming with Riley and taking my chance at getting to know her better, get closer to her. Frustration started turning to anger. How could either of them do this to me? My own brother! And this girl! A girl who I can’t get out of my mind, who captures my thoughts and takes my breath away.

Fuck them, if they want to be together, then let them. I don’t give two flying fucks.
I stormed out of the hotel room, slamming the door on Tomo and Shannon’s very confused faces.