The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 2

Her eyes were shining as she looked around; trying to find anything familiar that might stand out so she could recognise one of her favourite people in the world. Her hand was clasped tightly to a hand much larger than her own, but one that held hers softly yet protectively.

“Where is he? He promised he’d be here today.” She pouted, starting to feel rejected.

“Don’t worry sweetie, he’ll be here. You know he’d never break a promise to his favourite girl.” The man holding her hand reassured in his deep voice.

“He better not.” She said, a frown beginning to form on her lips.

The man just chuckled quietly. He knew she probably wouldn’t be able to see him coming until he was a few feet away, there were too many people around for her to be able to spot him. But seeing as he was significantly taller, he was able to see the BMW pull into a space on the other side of the car park and the man the girl was waiting for step out.

Slipping on his sunglasses, the waited-upon man quickly spotted the pair and wove his way through the crowd of people to reach them.

The girl finally spotted him and her frown was quickly replaced by a beaming smile; obviously, she was pleased to see him.

“Uncle Jay, you made it!” She squealed, running to give him a hug.

“Oh course I did darling, you didn’t think I break my promise, did you?”

“Nope.” She laughed.

The two men greeted each other as if they were brothers, which they could have been; they had known each other long enough.

“I’m not late, am I, Tomo?” Uncle Jay asked.

“Not late at all, the fair only just begun.” He replied.

“Awesome.”

The girl tugged on his hand to retrieve his attention.

“What’s up buttercup?”

“I want you to meet my teacher, she’s the bestest teacher ever!” The girl smiled, before tugging on his hand, pulling him in the direction of the school’s annual spring fair.

“Kids, always so full of energy.” Tomo smiled.

“Come on Uncle Tomo, Uncle Jared, I want you to meet Miss Dawson!” She called, running around a few feet in front of them.

“Tomo, next time tell your sister not to feed her daughter so much sugar.” Uncle Jared laughed, his eyes watching as the little girl danced down the field, her hair shining in the sunlight of the warm April day.

“Come on then. She’s been talking about her new teacher non-stop since she took over Poppy’s class in January. I think if we don’t go meet her, Poppy might never talk to us again.” Uncle Tomo said, following his niece across the field to the marquees that had been set up.

“You’re probably right. Let’s go.”