The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 20

The rest of our little trip went off without a hitch, mainly because I made sure that Shannon and Tomo were between Jared and I at all times. I refused to make eye contact with him, I said the bare minimum to him and I just generally kept out of his way. I didn’t want the trip to become anymore ruined by me than it already was.

On the plane home I swapped seats with Shannon so that he was sat next to his brother and I was sat with Tomo.

“Please don’t make me sit with him.” Shannon whispered.

“Why not? He’s your brother.”

“Because I was a part of this mess too.”

“All the more reason for you to sit with him. None of this was your fault, you can sort things out easy peasy.” I concluded our small conversation and went to sit in what was meant to be his seat.

Tomo kept me highly amused for the entire flight. We mainly played snap and made up very colourful lives for our fellow passengers. Only twice did I slip up and look over at the Leto brothers, both times they were deep in conversation. This was good, at least it meant they were talking.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

Shannon had spent the majority of the flight going over in minute detail what happened on that night in the club. He left no detail out so by the end of the story I knew I had completely blown things out of proportion and fucked things up rather royally with Riley.
Every chance I got I looked over at her and Tomo. She looked like she was having a great time; that should’ve been me sitting there, making her laugh.

“So what’re you going to do?” Shannon asked.

“I really don’t know. I acted stupidly and now she hates me. I don’t blame her, I treated her like shit. What the hell could I do to show her I truly am sorry?” I ran my fingers through my hair anxiously.

“Well....”

“Well what?”

“I think I would start with something simple, but something she loves.”

“Like?”

“I don’t know. What do you guys do when you hang out?”

“Uhh, watch crappy TV and drink hot chocolate.”

“There! Make her the most spectacular mug of hot chocolate she’s ever seen. Write I’m sorry in marshmallows or something. You’re really gonna have to put yourself out there so she can see that you really mean it.” Shannon said.

“Since when did you become so wise?” I teased him.

“I have always been wise, you have just been too dumb to notice it.” He said pressing his hands together like a monk.

*Regular P.O.V.*

When we finally got off the plane and picked up our bags, I informed the guys I was going to go straight back to my apartment to sleep for three days straight. I bade them goodbye as we got in separate taxis and I made my way home.

My apartment looked more welcoming than ever. Granted the hotel was nice, but nothing could compare to my mushy sofa, or my soft bed covers. I left my bags by the bedroom door, got into my pyjamas and fell right to sleep.
The next day I was woken by a persistent knocking on my door.

“Mmmph, too early.” I mumbled into my pillow, looking over at my clock. It was 2pm. I crawled out of bed and made my way slowly to the front door. I opened it and with bleary eyes realised who was stood there, holding some sort of bag.

“What do you want?” I asked, too tired to even sound mad.

“I came to apologise. This is the first time since Sunday that I’ve managed to see you alone.” He said, still stood in the doorway.

I just left him standing there and I turned around to make myself some coffee to wake up. He let himself in and followed me into the kitchen, placing the bag down on the table and trying to catch my attention.

“Riley, please. I-“

“I just woke up, so I’m not functioning at full capacity to bother listening to you right now. I’m going for a shower.” I said, finishing my coffee and leaving the kitchen. He didn’t follow me.

After I was showered and dressed I was significantly more awake, and had almost forgotten the fact I had an apologetic Jared waiting for me. So when I walked into the kitchen for another cup of coffee and I saw him sitting, waiting for me, I was slightly shocked.

“Please listen to me. I feel terrible about what happened.” He pleaded.

“Why should I? You treated me like shit.”

“I know, but I bought Belgian dark hot chocolate, mini marshmallows and whipped cream from Harrod’s in London.”

“I’m listening.” I sat down and eyed the bag he brought in with renewed interest.

“I want you to know that I feel like a complete jackass. I was way out of line and had no right to treat you, or my brother for that matter, the way that I did. Shannon told me exactly what happened while we were on the plane and now that I understand the situation, it makes me feel even more terrible. Please please please accept my deepest apologies. It’s only been four days that we haven’t properly talked, but it’s been the longest four days of my life. I miss you. I’m so sorry.” Jared said, taking my hand across the table and squeezing it to emphasise how sorry he was.

He did seem pretty remorseful, and we had both suffered enough. I had hated not talking to him as much as he had. I felt lonely.

“Apology accepted. But only if you make me that delicious looking hot chocolate.”

“Thank you!” He sighed in relief, pulling me up from my chair to give me a huge hug.

“I can’t stay mad at you for too long. I get bored.” I said.

“You’re the best.” He smiled.

“I’m only the best if you make that hot chocolate.” I reminded him, not letting him so completely off the hook all at once.

“Coming up!” He saluted. “Go make yourself comfortable and I shall bring you your liquid heaven.” He told me.

We spent the rest of the day catching up on the past four days. Even though it was only a short space of time, we had endless things to talk about; we conveniently skimmed over the night at the club. By the evening we were as close as ever, laughing, watching bad TV shows and eating food till we were sick. It felt good to have him back. Tomo and Shannon were lovely; don’t get me wrong, but I had a connection with Jared, something that went deeper.
That night, when Jared went home, considerably happier than he was when he entered my apartment, I went to sleep happy for the first time in about a week.