The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 29

It was Tuesday afternoon, the guys would be leaving first thing in the morning for their tour. Things still hadn’t been resolved with Jared. I had no idea what to do. On the other hand, Shannon and Tomo were coming over this evening and I’m going to cook them an amazing bon voyage meal.
Ten minutes after the final bell rang I was packing up my things to head home and start the meal, when Poppy came running back into the classroom.

“Miss Dawson, guess what?” She said excitedly.
“What is it Poppy?” I returned the smile.
“I can’t tell you, it’s a surprise, but you gotta come see. Out in the parking lot.” She grabbed my hand and attempted to drag me out of the classroom.
“OK, OK, hold on Poppy, let me get my bag.” I laughed. I grabbed my necessary items, left the room with the little girl, locked up and proceeded to allow her to drag me out of the school into the parking lot.

“Bye Miss Dawson!” She suddenly exclaimed, letting go of my hand and running over to her mother.
I watched after her, dumbfounded. What surprise was she talking about?
“Hello Riley.”
My stomach attempted to do several somersaults at once. I would recognise that voice anywhere, and if I turned around to face the main area of the lot, I knew I would come face to face with those knee-weakening blue eyes. I wasn’t sure if I was ready to face him. But it was kind of hard to run away, here in a place where I had to keep my professional dignity.

I took a deep breath and turned around. Stunned by the fact that my view was now impaired by a bouquet of Forget-Me-Not’s that were the precise shade of blue of my eyes.
“Please forgive me Riley, I was a complete ass to you and you don’t deserve to be treated like that. I took advantage of our friendship. I think I was just jealous that you confided in Shannon instead of me.” Jared said all in one breath before I could say anything.

“I’ve really really missed you these past two weeks, it’s been so weird knowing that you were sat at home, and I couldn’t just come over and see you because you were angry with me. I never want that to happen again. Please, pretty please, say you forgive me. I promise I’ll try never to be such a bastard ever again. I don’t want to leave on a four month tour still on bad terms with you, I don’t think I could take it.” He continued.

I stood there with a look of shock on my face, I could have never imagined such a better or more sincere apology. I didn’t say anything for at least a minute, trying to absorb what had just happened. My silence seemed to be making Jared even more nervous.

“Please, say something Riley, anything.” He pleaded.
I quickly gathered my thoughts and looked up from the beautiful flowers into his eyes.
“Just as long as you promise never to be so stupid again.” I smiled softly.
“I swear on Shannon’s life!” He claimed, before scooping me up in a hug and lifting me off the ground, swinging me round in circles.

God I missed his touch, I missed his voice, I missed everything about him. I savoured this moment, trying to imprint it in my memory to remember for the next four months.
“Hey, Shannon and Tomo are coming over for a farewell dinner, would you like to join us?” I asked Jared after he finally stopped spinning me and set me on solid ground.
“I wouldn’t miss it.” He smiled.
“Good, now get home and get washed. Make sure your brother and Tomo get washed too, I want this to be a nice meal. Be at mine for six.” I told him, walking over to my car.
“And dress nice!” I added.
“Yes ma’am!” He saluted and proceeded into his own car.

We drove our separate ways and when I got home I made my way into the bedroom to change out of my work clothes and into something more appropriate. Five minutes later I was in the kitchen with the pots and pans out.
Making homemade brown lentil chilli with garlic bread and salad was fairly easy. Throw everything in a pan and leave it to cook slowly, then put the garlic bread in the oven for fifteen minutes, salad can be put in the bowl right before the meal is served.

I made the chilli and left it to simmer on top of the oven while I went and had a shower and got ready for the guys. This was going to be a nice meal, so I put on a nice shirt and skirt.
Tying an apron carefully around my outfit, I checked on the food. After I was satisfied that it was cooking nicely I poured myself a glass of wine and went to watch some TV before the buys arrived.
Forty-five minutes later, just as I was sliding the garlic bread out of the oven, a knock came at the door. I grabbed my glass of wine and went to answer it.

“Thank god you two have made up!” Was the first thing that was said, by Tomo who gave me a warm hug and made his way into the apartment.
“I agree, at least maybe now he’ll stop bitching like a little kid.” Shannon added.
I just laughed as he passed by.
“The food smells great.” Jared commented quietly, stepping in for a warm, brief hug, before closing the door behind us and joining the two other men in the kitchen.
“Well you guys are bang on time. Have a seat. Except you Jared, could you help and make the salad?” I asked.
“Course.” He smiled.

The others sat down at the table and began to talk.
I served up the chilli onto four plates and placed the garlic bread on its own plate. Just as I was taking the first two servings over to the table, Jared joined me with a large bowl of salad and a pair of salad tongs.

“Thanks Jay, you can sit down too, there’s only two more to bring in.”
He sat with his band mates and joined in with their discussion as I made my way back to the kitchen counter. I stood there for a second, glancing over my shoulder at the three men at the table. I smiled, things were finally back to normal. Grabbing the two servings and expertly balancing the third plate of garlic bread on my arm, I headed over to the table to serve myself and Jared and finally begin our meal.
Two hours later we were still sat at the table, dinner was done, dessert was done and now we were just sat, drinking wine and talking.

“But honestly Riley. We’re really going to miss you on tour. We’ve got shows practically every single day, we’re gunna need someone there to keep us half-way sane.” Tomo commented.
“Awww, sweetie, I’m sure you’ll manage. Plus I’ll make sure to send you amusing things, I’ll make it a class project.” I smiled.
“Yay.” He smiled his quirky little smile.
Jared had been quite quiet for the past twenty minutes; but I could feel his presence next to me at the table. Suddenly, I could feel something against my foot. I discreetly looked down and saw Jared’s socked foot pushing slightly against my own. I had no idea what he was doing, but I’d had just enough wine not to care. I pushed gently back. Before I knew it our feet were wrapped around each other.
“Can we move into the living room? It’s comfier in there.” Shannon stretched out his well muscled arms.
“Sounds good to me.” Jared said, quickly disentangling his feet from mine and standing up, taking my hand and dragging me toward the sofa. By the time Tomo and Shannon had caught up, Jared and I were already sat on the sofa, my legs draped over his.

The rest of the evening was spent in comfortable companionship. We laughed, talked about where the guys were going, what they would see. It was almost midnight before they got up to leave, they had an early flight.
“This has been awesome doll, I’m really gunna miss you. See you in December.” Shannon pulled me close for a big bear hug, kissing the top of my head.
“I’m gunna miss you too.” I mumbled into his shirt, trying not to let my voice shake.
“And hey, don’t forget about all those presents your gunna send.” Tomo took his turn in hugging me.
“I promise.” I whispered so that my voice wouldn’t break, I couldn’t cry now, I would wait until they had gone.

Shannon and Tomo were out the door and down the stairs, only Jared remained behind now.
“I can’t believe this is the last time I’m going to see you until Christmas.” Jared said quietly.
“I know. But at least it isn’t a yearlong tour.” I noted, trying to look on the bright side.
“True. But I’m going to miss looking into your gorgeous eyes.” He whispered huskily, taking a step toward me and placing his hand on the side of my face.
“And I’m gunna miss your voice, and your awesome hot chocolate.” I looked up at him, forcing myself not to let my eyes flicker to his lips.
“I’ll call you, as often as possible.” He was centimetres away now, his warm breath was cascading over my face.
“You better.” I warned.

Suddenly he closed the gap. Our lips were pressed together tightly and passionately. They moved in sync for only a moment before it was over. Before I could open my eyes I heard the door shut and I knew he was gone.

He kissed me.

He had kissed me and it was the complete opposite of the kiss I shared with Jacob. This one made my mind explode, in that moment, nothing existed outside the two of us. There was no band and there was no tour, it was Jared and I in an infinite moment in time.
But it was only one moment and then it was over. And now I wouldn’t see them again until the winter. With weak knees and a racing heart, I made my way into my bedroom and got changed. Climbing slowly into bed and closing my eyes, I could still feel the tingling sensation of his soft lips against mine as they moved together as one.