The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 32

*Jared’s P.O.V.*
I had been pacing the kitchen for at least half an hour before Shannon arrived home from seeing Riley.
“How is she?” I immediately asked, making my way over to him.
“She’s good. You should go see her. But just to warn you, she saw the article with you and that AnnaLynne girl.”
“Fuck, what did she say?”
“Nothing, she just wanted to know what was going on. So I told her the truth, you went a bit nuts when we were in New York but her boyfriend was there the whole time.”
“Did she seem jealous? Relieved? How did she react? Did she say anything about our kiss.” Yes I had told him that I kissed her; the most perfect moment of my life so far.

“Dude, stop giving me the third degree and go see her yourself. Seeing as you hardly spoke to her all while we were on tour I think she misses you.”
“Yeah, yeah good plan.” I grabbed my coat and started to head towards the door.
“Why did you though? Not talk to her, I mean.” Shannon asked, stopping me from leaving.
“Because I knew that if I talked to her, I would miss her so much that I would probably jump on the next plane home just to see her.” I confessed.
“I thought as much.” Shannon smirked.
Without another word, I dashed out of the house and into my car, intent on seeing Riley as soon as possible.

*Regular P.O.V.*
Just as I was getting out of the shower I could hear a frantic knocking on my door. I quickly wrapped myself up in a towel and quickly made my way over to it, opening it for the second time that morning quite scantily clad.

“Riley!” Came the immediate exclamation from a certain blue eyed man as soon as I opened the door, a man that I hadn’t seen since he gave me the most mind-blowing kiss I’d ever received. He hugged me for a second before seeming to realise that I was stood there in only a towel. He took a step back, staring in shock for a moment at the towel for regaining himself.
“I missed you so much.” He said smiling.
“I missed you too, you hardly kept in touch you dope.” I teased him, trying to keep the mood light and my emotions about the subject at bay; I didn’t want him knowing the extent of the upset that it caused me when he didn’t call or write.

“I know, I’m so sorry about that. It all just got a bit crazy and I knew if I called you then we’d talk for forever and I wouldn’t get anything done.” He reasoned.
“Hmm, OK. Make me coffee while I get dressed and all will be forgiven.” I told him.
“Deal.” He beamed, making his way into the kitchen.
I quickly threw on some sweatpants and a t-shirt before making my way back into the main part of the apartment.

“Your coffee m’lady.”
“Why thank you. Now come sit and tell me all about tour.” I demanded.
“Sir, yes sir.” Jared saluted, before following me to the sofa.
He proceeded to tell me about everything. From some of the crazier fans, to the show they dedicated to me for my birthday (apparently they filmed the audience singing Happy Birthday) to the amazing sights and everything in between.

“Wow, it sounds like it was perfect.” I commented.
“Well, almost perfect.”
“How come only almost perfect?” I queried.
“Cause you weren’t there. If you had been, then it would’ve been perfect.” Jared nudged his shoulder against mine, smiling down at me.
“Well don’t you know how to flatter a girl.” I quipped, blushing slightly.
“Hey, nice necklace.” Jared suddenly commented, pointing to my throat.
“Yeah, I got it for my birthday off some guy.” I smiled.
“Well this guy must have good taste.” Jared played along.
“Sometimes, other times he’s got the worst taste ever.”
“But not in friends.”
“And why is that.”
“Cause he’s friends with you.”

“Oh shush Jared.” I blushed again, picking up our empty coffee mugs and taking them into the kitchen.
As I washed the mugs Jared sat at the table in a companionable silence. It wasn’t until I had put away the now clean mugs and sat down with him that he decided to break that silence.
“So, there’s something that I want to talk to you about.” He began.
“Alright, shoot.”
“It’s about what happened right before I left for tour, that kiss.” He said hesitantly.
“Oh, right, OK.” I was suddenly very nervous.
“You’re gorgeous Riley, I’ve always thought so. And I’d had a bit to drink that night, and I wasn’t going to see you for so long. I wanted to do something so you wouldn’t forget me, I acted on impulse and to be honest I’m glad I did. I hope you didn’t mind.”

I sat stunned for a moment at Jared’s words before regaining my composure.
“No, it was fine. I mean, you’re obviously not a bad kisser. I didn’t mind; I was actually thinking of doing something so you wouldn’t forget me while you were away.”
“Like I could forget you.” He smiled.
“Good, I’m glad we cleared that up, cause it has been nagging at me a little.” I understated, it had been eating away at me since it happened. Now I had the answer, which made me feel better. But also worse at the same time, he didn’t say the words I so wished he would have, that he felt the same thing I did, that he wanted something more. But that was never going to happen.

“Me too.” He agreed.
“Now, I feel like going out. I’ve been stuck in this place for far too long and I’m going crazy.” I said, standing up and grabbing my purse and keys.
“May I propose a place to go?” Jared offered.
“Please do.”
“Well then, follow me.” He said, grabbing my hand and dragging me out the door, I barely had time to stuff my feet into some shoes.
“You didn’t even suggest anywhere.”
“That’s cause it’s a surprise.”
“You and your surprises!” I exclaimed.
“You know you love them.”

We ended up at the Starbucks where we first had coffee, the one that was supposedly better than all the rest. We called Shannon and Tomo to meet us and we proceeded to spend the rest of the day sat in a corner on squishy chairs, catching up and people watching. Every so often I would feel Jared’s hand rest on my knee and a warm feeling would arise in my chest, creeping up my neck and ending in a small smile. We stayed in those chairs until closing time and we got kicked out.

“Well I bet you guys are still pretty jet-lagged. So I’ll say goodnight and see you later.” I said to the guys.
“S-s-sounds good.” Tomo yawned widely, causing the rest of us to yawn.
“Yeah, I’ll probably come over tomorrow, that cool?” Jared asked.
“Of course, you know you’re welcome anytime.” I met his icy blue eyes with my own.
“Night doll.” Shannon called, already halfway to his car.
“Night Shan!” I replied, before we all went our separate ways to our own warm beds.