The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 36

“Shhh.” I whispered to Shannon opened Jared’s bedroom door.
“I’m trying.” He whispered back.
It was 8am on Boxing Day, aka Jared’s birthday. Shannon, Tomo and I were trying to sneak into Jared’s room to wake him up and surprise him with presents and a cake.
“Ready? 1...2...3!”

“Happy Birthday Jared!” We yelled simultaneously, throwing on the lights and jumping on Jared’s bed.
“What the fuck?” He yelled, thrashing in his bed, trying to figure out what was going on.
“It’s your birthday! And we’re here to make sure you enjoy every moment of it.” I said happily, lying down next to him on his bed.
“I know exactly how he could enjoy every moment of it, and it doesn’t involve us.” Shannon said in a not so discreet whisper to Tomo.

Choosing to ignore Shannon, I thrust the first present I could lay my hands on in front of Jared.
“From Shannon.” Jared read the tag. “Thanks Shan.” He tore open the wrapping to reveal a box with a set of new multicoloured wheels for his bike.
“Cool.” He exclaimed, taking them out of the box and examining them.
“This ones from me.” Tomo said, handing over an envelope.

It was backstage passes to go see David Bowie in concert.
“Fuck! David Bowie? I didn’t even know he was doing a tour!” Jared exclaimed, turning the passes over in his hands.
“It’s not been announced yet.” Tomo smirked.
“Then how the fuck do you know about it?” Jared asked.
“I know a guy who knows a guy.” Was all Tomo replied.
“Thanks man.”
“My present is downstairs, it was too heavy to bring up.” I told Jared, starting to drag him out of bed.
“Let’s go downstairs then!” Jared allowed me to pull him down the stairs in into the kitchen where my gift lay spread out on the floor.
“I couldn’t find enough wrapping paper for it.” I scratched the back of my head nervously.
“You...got me a lump of plastic?” Jared asked, obviously confused.
“No, silly man. It needs to be inflated, but it’s too big to do that inside.” I explained.

“So, what is it then?”
“A zorbing ball!” I smiled.
“No fucking way! My own zorb? That’s awesome!” Jared started looking at the lump of plastic with new found delight.
“You like it?” I asked.
“I love it!” Let’s go outside and inflate it now!” He started pulling his present outside.
We spent the entire morning taking turns rolling around in the zorbing ball in the garden; needless to say, Jared loved it.

Later in the day, we all trooped back inside, tired and hungry but happy.
“And now for cake.” I revealed a large chocolate cake with vanilla icing and the 30 Seconds to Mars logo written in M&M’s, cause I was that cool.
“This looks delicious.” Jared looked at the cake appreciatively.
“It is, she let me lick the bowl.” Shannon boasted.
Without waiting any longer, Jared grabbed a knife and proceeded to cut the cake into slices before we could even sing Happy Birthday. But that was soon forgotten as we filled our mouths with the chocolaty goodness.

“This has been the best birthday ever.” Jared said, making his way over to me and pulling me into a big hug.
“Thank you for being here.” He said, so low that only I could hear it.
“You couldn’t have kept me away.” I whispered back.
We stayed like that a moment longer before a cough from Shannon reminded us that we weren’t alone.
“OK you crazy kids, keep it PG 13.” Shannon teased, causing me to blush furiously.
“Fuck off Shan.” Jared said easily, keeping his arm around me so I couldn’t run off and hide my burning cheeks.

We ate the rest of the birthday cake while watching TV well into the night. Tomo was the first to call it a night, then Shannon. Jared and I were left alone in the blue glare of the screen.
“Tired?” Jared asked, noticing my particularly large yawn.

“Just a bit.” I admitted, blinking slowly.
“Come on then, bed time.” Jared pulled my arm over his shoulder and half carried me up to his room.
“My room is over there.” I lazily pointed across the hall.
“Last birthday request. Stay with me?” Jared asked quietly.
“Mmm OK.” I agreed, stumbling quickly to my room to pull on some sweat pants and returning to find Jared already sitting in bed.

“Come on.” He smiled, patting the space next to him.
“Comfy.” I said as I fell into his plush mattress.
“Indeed.” He laughed, lying down next to me.
I was already practically asleep, only vaguely aware of my body pressed against Jared’s shirtless torso.
“Goodnight, my love.” I think I heard from somewhere far away.
“G’night.” I mumbled to whoever was talking.
Something warm and soft fell lightly on my lips, but before I could think what it might be, it was gone. And I fell deeply into unconsciousness.